Armor Deflection

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Dobras
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Armor Deflection

Post by Dobras » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:19 pm

Whatever happened to armor deflecting hits? I understand that weakspots can be found, but IC some places that PCs hit do not make sense. Ex: A rusty shortsword cause a deep cut on the chest when the opponent is wear a breastplate with magical qualities.
Argentia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Argentia » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:22 am

I've also noticed that armor no longer deflects as it once used to. However I've noticed that in exchange, so to speak, your oponent misses more often. This has lead me to believe that no longer do you receive an echo of deflection if your AC helps you; instead the oponent merely "misses." This is just what I believe, a coder would have to tell you what's going for sure.

Personally, I really loved the deflection echos and kind of miss them, but it's no major thing. Plenty of other stuff I'd rather see happen.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.
Telk
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Telk » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:43 am

I'm pretty sure that the deflection was hidden and now shows up as 'misses'. So instead of 'hit is deflect by your armguards' it just shows up as a miss. If that makes sense.
Telk
Dobras
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Dobras » Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:35 pm

If a deflected hit can be considered a miss, then how can the possiblity, of lets say a crude wooden spear piercing a breastplate causing a serious wound be able to happen. I would understand if it bruised the opponent, but to cause a very deep gash is unlikely. For instanace is the opponent is wearing chainmail piercing attacks would wound him, but wouldn't slashing attacks be blunted? etc.
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:47 am

Someone once said to me that an amatuer with a rusty blade is an amatuer, but they can still get lucky, even the best armour will yield to a knick or two, the volume of hits though varies from various stats and skills, for example, you might be wearing a magic breastplate, but someone might shirk a spear up through your armpit based on sheer luck and give you a nice wounding, it varies from mob to mod, weapon to weapon, but I think that no matter what you wear you might bet a knick now and then.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Telk
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Telk » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:22 am

That's exactly how it worked before the delection off armour became hidden, hits could still get through armor. Just because you're wearing a breastplate doesn't mean you're invincible to all attacks to your chest. When you're hit, how hard you get hit then goes off your AC, so if you have good AC the hit that went through the armor does less damage.
Telk
Zach

Post by Zach » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:40 am

and that brings me to a question... is your AC based on your TOTAL armor? or just the part that is getting hit?
Kilak
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Kilak » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:23 am

For instanace is the opponent is wearing chainmail piercing attacks would wound him, but wouldn't slashing attacks be blunted? etc.
I've seen video of someone slicing right through chainmail armour with an axe, so slashing weapons would still be able to do the job.
- Kilak Axebattler, son o' Baelin o' Clan Axebattler
- Melaku, Warrior from Zakhara
- Vaelyn, Wizard in Training
Dobras
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Dobras » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:03 am

I understand that, with an axe, but in general ins't different types of armour supposed to deflect certain attacks, or aid in protecting the wearer against certain weapons. I know what you mean Gwain by a well placed hit, I am just wondering what types of armour protect well against certain weapons.
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:19 pm

The armor class system in D&D takes varying weapon types vs. various armor types into account. But the AC system has one simple mechanic, hit or miss. Whether the armor causes the hit to deflect, or the hit is dodged, or the hit simply swings over the opponent's head. A miss, is a miss.

I belive the echoes were probably reworked to take that into account, seeing as there has been steps to move the gears inside the game to a 3rd edition D&D format.

As for the actual deflection, I have played warriors in various forms of armour before and after the FKMud upgrade last fall. And even in a metal breastplate, a hit could still get through the armour, and even damage the piece. Even from a bladed weapon. The place where it may seem you get hit more is not in the armor deflection, it is likely the fact dodge was turned down, for IMO, a good reason. But I discussed this in a separate post already.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Telk
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Telk » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:37 pm

Also, adding onto that, certain types of armour don't block certain types of attacking (like chainmail making you more resistance to slashing) at least in the code it doesn't.
Telk