Fishing

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Lysha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Fishing

Post by Lysha » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:16 am

I'm not sure how this could be done, but I had also thought about marinas (sp?) and PC crafted boats to take over the waters...but how about fishing? I saw nets and poles...but their'd have to be bait, tackle, lures, and maybe a skill in Big Fish Tales...j/k

This would make use of those rooms that are named Docks. :) Can you imagine a Halfling dangling their feet off the dock as they fish? ;) I can!

Was passing through a fishing town and thought I'd just throw this out there.

^-^ I luf fishing!

Edit: This would also provide raw fish, shrimp, clams, and other water-dwelling critters we could use in the Cooking trade! :)
Your punch viciously hammers a shark's abdomen.
A shark is stunned, but will probably recover.

http://www.elfonlyinn.net/d/20070925.html
Telk
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Telk » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:09 am

At the moment you can use a fishing pole to fish using the 'fish' command while you're in a square of water. I only think this gives you two kinds of fish and I don't believe you can improve on it. I think it would be pretty neat to have it expanded into a trade and able to catch various types of seafood. I'd also like to see it being able to used on squares of area that are adjacent to water, instead of in the middle of the water square, so you'd be able to fish on docks, shores, beaches, etc.

Overall I think it'd be a nice thing to have, and would be cool for adding onto cooking.
Telk
Sparlen
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Sparlen » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:46 am

Being able to use a boat, or a ship to cross waters would be interesting to add into the game. Coding I know. But just think of the added roleplay for pirates.

{EDIT : This thread is entitled 'Fishing' and is in the Trades section of the forums. Your post, whilst constructive, is in entirely the wrong place ;) }
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:00 pm

Sparlen wrote: {EDIT : This thread is entitled 'Fishing' and is in the Trades section of the forums. Your post, whilst constructive, is in entirely the wrong place ;) }
Though it is in the wrong place, there is no need to punish the poster, really. The best place for this would be the skills section. Though I know enough commercial fishermen to tell you that fishing can both be a trade and a skill, it just matters if you are doing it for food or for money :)
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat for life.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:08 pm

How is that punishing? :P Fishing could very well be a trade. The higher your skill gets the bigger the fish you fish up! :o

-Danica
Beshaba potatoes.
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:59 pm

I agree fully, fishing as a vigourous trade is great, it could lead to warf shoppes and businesses and all kinds of food products for the cooking skill like battered haddock or fishsticks.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Lysha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lysha » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:21 pm

I always grew up hearing fishing as a trade, but then again, I was born a small-town girl...
I guess it does require skill to fish....but even I can fish, and I'm not very skilled.

BUT, then again, this isn't a debate forum. :P
Your punch viciously hammers a shark's abdomen.
A shark is stunned, but will probably recover.

http://www.elfonlyinn.net/d/20070925.html