Hiding

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Nearraba
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nearraba » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:08 pm

Alright, I'm going to try to understand this a little better. :)
If you are hidden, BE HIDDEN. If you talk or smote, it should pop you out of being hidden or you should take yourself out of hiding. You should not be able to "Smirk" or "Snort" or whatever when you are "Someone". When someone knows you are there, either go silent and "hide" or give up the chase already!
Now, I don’t fully agree with you on this Mariela, but to a certain extent I do. First, just because someone smirks or snorts, should not mean they should stop being, "hidden". Lets say you were playing the ever so thrilling game of hidden seek, and you just so happen to be in the market square behind a merchants stall, you giggle, snort, cough, murmuring something to yourself, ect. That does not reveal your hiding place, does it? It does not magically move the cart out of your way. You’re still hidden. :) If you talk, Someone says, "Blah Blah Blah." Your place should still be hidden, you haven’t moved from your "hiding spot," unless you have role-played moving from your hiding spot.

Just because someone uses the hide skill does not mean they should limit their roleplay by going silent. I think they should still be able to make small moves as long as they aren’t overly dramatic. Just because you do a few smotes doesn’t always mean someone -wants- to be heard, they are still role-playing. In some character points of view, some would rather get their information by skulking around. :wink:

Someone says, "These two both should be destroyed, for toast is too good for the world. I shall wait until they leave and slay them.."
I think, if someone wants to be like that, let them. It does not mean you have to acknowledge the comment, for in my opinion this is bad roleplay on the "hiders side".

<3
Just my thoughts, let me know if I confused things... :roll:
Autumn is a second spring where every leaf has its turn to be a flower.
- Albert Camus
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:39 am

say and sayto already break your hide, so that part is taken care of...

There's a great cardnial rule for hiding. Hiding is NOT invisibility. You are hiding in, behind, around something, an object, the shadows, whatever. You cannot be hidden, and poke or tickle someone or pounce them and stay hidden, they will see you. You cannot make salt and pepper shakers dance on a table in front of someone without being seen, and... please... don't just type "hide" to vanish in front of someone without a smote and stuff... as Kelemvor said, there is no Hide in Plain Sight feat in FK, you can't just vanish in front of someone's eyes, period.

I do hope that, as we move to more 3E revisions, we look at the hide skill... the only thing your skill level in hide does is determine how many times you have to type hidehidehidehide before you are hidden, then it's all or nothing. I would like to see hide being your chance of not being seen by any single person, with any single action or movement, balanced against a viewer's spot skill, to where it's never 100% chance to always be concealed. It should never be an all or nothing proposition.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki