Who is your favourite FR novel character?

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Zilvryn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Zilvryn » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:47 pm

Yeh the Everis Cale trilogy is next on my list to get, I have only heard good things about it...
What matters the most is how well you walk through the fire.
Lysha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lysha » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:38 am

My faves have to be Drizzt (of course), Cattie-brie, Bruenor, Guenhwyvar (of course!!), Mooshie, Regis, and WULFGAR!!!!! Well...ya can't forget Zaknafein either...he was so neat! ^-^

Fave fave is Drizzt. I love him!!!! :wink:
Legault
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Legault » Sat Sep 18, 2004 5:57 am

Yeah I agree with Lysha... Drizzt is awesome.... I like Guenhyavr and Belwar though too
Pakur
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Pakur » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:53 am

Aeron and Serfris from " The Black Bouquet ". Aeron because his skill, wit and humor. And Sefris because she's one of the best warriors i've heard of, it's possible that she could rival Drizzt Do'Urden. :lol:
Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent. - Napoleon Hill
Yboesh

Post by Yboesh » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:42 am

I actually have two, and am equally torn between them.
Shandril Shessair,from Spellfire and Crown of fire, and Alias, from Azure bonds, neither asked to be placed in those extreme circumstances, and both overcame all odds to emerge the heroine and gain everything possible, from friends to fame and a little fortune to boot
Arnon

Post by Arnon » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:59 pm

I really have to go with Elminster, he is great. He is the best wizard ever! Also if anyone has read any of the Dragonlance novels I like Fizban. His love of the fireball spell rivals even my own :D .
Courakil

Post by Courakil » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:41 pm

I know this isn't FR, it's Dragonlance, but I must vote for Raistlin Majere. He's probably the best mage out there, I mean he can defeat Takhesis! The whole evil thing makes him all the more interseting too. But in FR, Elminster is clearly the best. I think there are very few people who don't like him, and I challenge you to find a person who actually dislikes him.
Bugoron
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Bugoron » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:28 am

I have two selections for favorite character, actually. The first is for the most enthralling, to me, or compelling character, who has to be the legend, Drizzt Do'Urden. I am not saying this because he's death a' la dual scimitars, or that he's one of the staple 'good guys' of the FR setting, but because of his entire life. I have found that, throughout the entire Drizzt series, Drizzt will face, or will help one of his friends face something in their lives that most readers have been faced with and had to deal with themselves. It's this completeness to Drizzt's life, and the ease in which readers can relate to the hardships he faces that makes him so enjoyable to read about. The short story in one of the anthology books, in which Drizzt meets the intelligent goblin, is touching insomuch that many people have had a friend that was misunderstood and treated unfairly by others, and this story vividly portrays that.

Now, secondly, I have to choose another character for most 'interesting', and when I say interesting, I mean unique to the entire world of Faerun. This, for me, has to be Pikel Bouldershoulder. I do believe the Realms will never again see another Dwarven druid (I could be wrong, but I doubt this profession will flourish anytime soon). Pikel's child-like curiousity and cheerfulness make him a treat to read about, and his powers make him an enigma, even to those of his profession. Despite the hardships he comes to face (I will not elaborate as it is sort of a spoiler if I do), he holds true to himself and does not change his demeanor or his outlook on himself and his environment.
Proud member of the Order of the Deinonychus Claw
Tychina

Post by Tychina » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:41 pm

I like Tycho, from the rogue series. He's a very interesting perosona. And the fact that they named him so close to my own characters name is kinda cool as well, considering I created the name years ago. A bit worrying as well though, I'd hate for folk to start thinking I took it from the books.. bleah ahh well, he is still my favorite.
Dargeth
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Dargeth » Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:12 am

Coming from one who has read practically every FR novel out there, it is tough to pick a favorite character. But here are a few. I really like Sharantyr in the Shadows trilogy. Tough, resilient, smart, beautiful, and a ranger to boot. Ren of the Blade from the Pool of Darkness series was also one of my favorites. Danica, from the cleric quintet, and Shayleigh from the same, were my favorites in that series. Of course I love Drizzt and his companions and enemies. I would also have to say I have always liked Elaith Craulnober. Great villian. And last but not least, I do like Erevis and Jak, but especially have gotten into Magadon from that new series.
Llanthyr
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Llanthyr » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:38 pm

Read a few novels on Elminster by Greenwood the past few months... I've found a liking for two of his characters. Torm and what's-his-name, that fat priest of Tymora. (somehow he reminds me of Caius)

Like the demon said to Elminster while leeching away his memories, "Those two morons are a joy to watch."
Lukon
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Lukon » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:08 am

You're all crazy. My favorite is the best, and it's canon that he's the best.
The one.
The only.
The One True God.
Cyric, the Lord of Strife.

I just love the way he overcomes the slanderous lies of a less-than-perfect upbringing to punish and slaughter all those who dared oppose his destiny as a truly free being in this farce of a world. When he overtakes Ao and rebuilds Faerun in his image, all shall be made right. He's just having too much fun toying with these ridiculous heretics to get around to it.

That is all.
"Everybody dies sometime..."
Lathlain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lathlain » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:45 pm

Pff!

As if there could be any other alternative!
"This is General Lath'lain Dy'nesir, of the Ebon Spur. Walking Murder surrounded by a thin veneer of civility."
-Miriel
Tortus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tortus » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:16 pm

Drizzt? Mo' like Graz'zt!

Source books count as novels, right?
Larethiel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Larethiel » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:38 pm

The Serpent, Elaith Craulnober, he's so damn cool and definitively has some style :)

But there are far too much great characters to choose one you like best.

Manshoon is great as well as Szass Tam (I love this name...), Jarlaxle, Gromph Baenre, Lamruil Moonflower, Glarasteer Rhauligan...
Lysha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lysha » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:17 pm

Having to refine my list...

Wulfgar, Drizzt, Zaknafein, Adon, and...:oops:...Cyric! Yeah, I liked his development in the Avitar series.

Reasons?
Wulfgar was just amasing on how he was thought up.
Zaknafein, as well as Drizzt, they went against the flow and did what they believed in. Drizzt...well, he was Drizzt.
Adon, I like him because he made a big turn around in his character. On top of the world, then everything he believed in was stolen from him, then he manages to deal.
Cyric was amasing. Like Adon, he also made a big turn around. Ye was semi-good, then he begins to let paranoia(?) get the better of him and he begins to turn into the Cyric we all know and fear.

Yes, even a Tormish can love Cyric, even if for a moment in a book.
Your punch viciously hammers a shark's abdomen.
A shark is stunned, but will probably recover.

http://www.elfonlyinn.net/d/20070925.html
Brar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Brar » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:48 pm

I think my all time favorite is Melegaunt Tanthul, and the way he appears all nice while being all evil and all deceitful.
The web of deceit (*winks to Dalvyn*) he manages to cast over Galaeron is just amazing.

After that, I think it would be Jarlaxle, Torm and Rathan and Finder 'Nameless Bard' Wyvernspur
Your friendly house-elf,
Brar
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:00 pm

I have to go with Erevis Cale. He was developed well both in the Selgaunt series and then on his own trilogy. His crisis of belief and struggle to come to terms with his own increasing inhumanity made him --ironically-- one of the more deep and human characters I've come across in FR novels.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Gregal

Post by Gregal » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:14 pm

Alright any people that know me is going to laugh at me so much, but my favorite character is The Rotting Man from "Lady of Poison" yes, it is a Talona novel, He is just such a awsome character that I have to have him as my top, next would have to be Cadderly.
Ninde
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Ninde » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:11 pm

My favourite character is from a compilation of elven stories book, named Twilight. She is a thief and lover of Erevan Ilesere :)