Knowledge Geography

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Valdimyr
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Knowledge Geography

Post by Valdimyr » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:40 am

Is there any bonus given to players for having knowledge geography in a certain area?

I was curious, if we could possibly get .5 - 1 glory for becoming familiar with an area and having geographical knowledge of that particular place?

It could be sort of a reward for adventuring and exploring a particular area. Please let me know what your thoughts are on this.
Sincerely,
Valdimyr
Velsavius
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Velsavius » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:16 am

As far as I remember from an old post of Mystra's, the knowledge based skills were going to be used as ifchecks for Prestige classes and could also be used in any general quests a builder may wish to use I guess. Your idea isn't a bad one other than that there is just too many areas out there for you to discover, and any kind of bonus as you've described would be overpowering later on.
Valdimyr
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Valdimyr » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:42 am

I'm not quite sure how it could be overpowering to reward them for exploring other than a very big amount of glory. Even so, they could reward them with .1 glory, which would take 10 areas of exploring just to get 1 glory point.

Or, possibly they could think about the first idea when I stumbled onto this skill. For the area's that you have explored enough to get the geographical knowledge of, you could have maybe like a +1 to speed bonus when walking through that particular area.

It just seems that there is this great skill that you could do wonders with and I haven't seen anything to my knowledge since I've been here that uses or rewards to these set of knowledge skills. Though, I could be wrong and please correct me if I am.
Sincerely,
Valdimyr
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:51 pm

Glory runs on a whole number basis at least from the lessons it is so. Remember if you want glory an Imm can reward you with some for an outstanding roleplay... 8) :hint hint: Before kismet thats what glory was for and remember the ic descrition of glory is fame or something like that. So how would you gain fame by walking around an area? Sure you'd meet new NPC's or PC's but that would make you famous just known.
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:03 am

For an answer to this specific question, Velsavius is correct.
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Valdimyr
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Valdimyr » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:13 am

I'm glad that Velsavius is correct, because looking over the knowledge based skills they seemed that it was just another thing that didn't amount to any real gameplay value. I also thought that glory would be a good idea seeing as how in most SMAUG muds you can dish out glory in any increment you wish, being that of .1(not saying it is possible to do in all Smaug muds, but very easy to code it so that it is possible). But then, glory doesn't even seem like it would be a good reward for this.

Though, as slow as it does take to walk, I did think that a little speed bonus through the areas that you have explored enough and expanded your skill at knowledge-geography was a worthwhile reward, and didn't think it to be overpowering in any way shape or form. Though, since nobody has discussed that idea, then I suppose it isn't worth while and there is some reason it hasn't been mentioned by anyone else, so I will drop it.
Sincerely,
Valdimyr
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:54 am

http://www.forgottenkingdoms.com/board/ ... php?t=4077

Ah, a reason to bring that up again.