Helps

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Mask
Staff
Staff

Helps

Post by Mask » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:49 am

As you might be aware, we are in the midst of over-hauling our help system. If you have any suggestions on how this might be done, or examples of helps that need to be updated, please post them in this topic.

If you have spotted a typo or error in a help, if you post a corrected version of it in here that would speed things up as well!

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Martin
Mask
Staff
Staff

Post by Mask » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:43 pm

Just a note: once I or someone else fixes a typo which is mentioned in this topic, it will be deleted to avoid it being fixed twice!

Cheers,

Marty
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:30 am

Well, the spell-list helpfiles for clerics, wizards and the domain spells have been completed. However, with me working in a very unconventional, chaotic way (basically working from loads of different lists and copied MS Word paragraphs), there are bound to be typoes, inaccuracies, missed-out sections.

Basically, I'm just asking people who have a cleric/wizard character to, if they happen to notice a mistake wherever they check the spell helpfiles, to let me know on here.

I await with trepidation the hordes of mistakes.

~Ol
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Maybel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Maybel » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:09 am

For the help polymorph. I was wondering will there be a list of available morphs in order of skill?

Because to find out OOC what you should know IC can get expensive when IC you would ask the person you are learning the spell from what you can change into... Would be VERY helpful RP and IC ways...

thank you
R.I.P.
You will never be forgotten..
In memory of Stephanie
and the best damn RPing I have ever had!
Thank you
Mitchell
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Mitchell » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:02 am

Maybel wrote:For the help polymorph. I was wondering will there be a list of available morphs in order of skill?

Because to find out OOC what you should know IC can get expensive when IC you would ask the person you are learning the spell from what you can change into... Would be VERY helpful RP and IC ways...
You could always ask other wizards (druids, selunites, etc.) about their experience with the spell, what forms they have taken, etc.

But if you still feel like you aught to know oocly here are these relevant threads:
http://www.forgottenkingdoms.com/board/ ... php?t=4663
http://www.forgottenkingdoms.com/board/ ... php?t=4571
Maybel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Maybel » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:34 pm

Thanks for trying Mitchell, but i have done a search, the first link had no information with a link down... the second one i know of and gave no list.

I have asked people IC and they didn't know. Several people all of them had no idea. Some of them know the spell but have never used it.

I have no problem finding out IC if people knew IC...

In the help file there is a small list that a "cleric"... but I tried to change into one... and it said I couldn't... not that it failed, just that I couldn't change into that...

That is why I would like a defined list of what could and could not be morphed into
R.I.P.
In memory of Stephanie
Thank you
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:15 pm

I prefer the trial and error method to this. Did the wizard that discovered this spell know what he could morph into when he tried it?
Maybel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Maybel » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:42 pm

no Japcil he did not, but he was a lot more powerfull to have created the spell then we are, he would have more knowledge of the spell and all.

We would also know what we would learn from the one we trained it from... but we can't do that IC...
R.I.P.
In memory of Stephanie
Thank you
Rhytania
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Rhytania » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:44 pm

When you polymorph it isnt to some random creature. Polymorph is controlled:
You can freely designate the new form’s minor physical qualities (such as hair color, hair texture, and skin color) within the normal ranges for a creature of that kind. The new form’s significant physical qualities (such as height, weight, and gender) are also under your control, but they must fall within the norms for the new form’s kind.
Its only the limitations of the mud that makes it set to a certain list. I doubt it is very IC to not know what the creature types you are changing yourself into can be. Thats like saying oh ill just brew a ranodm potion and drink it hoping ill get healed and not poisened.
Maybel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Maybel » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:09 am

exactly Rhytania!

So the only limitation is the mudd... why can't we get a list of that limitations?

I only asked... if the answer is NO, then i'll shut up
R.I.P.
In memory of Stephanie
Thank you
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:37 pm

Rhytania wrote:
Its only the limitations of the mud that makes it set to a certain list. I doubt it is very IC to not know what the creature types you are changing yourself into can be. Thats like saying oh ill just brew a ranodm potion and drink it hoping ill get healed and not poisened.
And if the potion was unknowingly brewed wrong it could kill you.

I guess I think of it as how you don't know icly whatyou can construct using certain trades until you try.
Rhytania
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Rhytania » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:26 pm

And if the potion was unknowingly brewed wrong it could kill you.

I guess I think of it as how you don't know icly whatyou can construct using certain trades until you try.
Counter point: Thats not wizardry. Wizardry is precise, calculated, and formulaic, with all the incantaions, somatic movements, and spell foci. I dont see wizards sitting around mumbling things that knowingly affect their body w/o knowing to a degree what will happen. Even sorcerers in their spur of the moment casting abilities, know the effects of what they are doing before they do it. And trades, how do you "not" know what you are crafting? Do you set out to make a armguard and bam! a suit of full plate mithril appears before you? Thats even more UN-IC than the magic theory.

Lastly my reference was pulled outta the d20 SRD, not out of thin air, so I see no basis for the unkown polymorph affects.
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:21 pm

What i meant was that no listing for the construct commands are given, like what you can make at amatuer. If thats not what is being ask then forgive me. If you are asking for alist of available races to morph to then ok, but i cant see alisting for what you can at certain levels of the spell.
Maybel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Maybel » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:26 pm

all I was asking is for a list of available... i guess a list from what you can at what skill level is a bit of a streach...

Just a list of what we are ABLE to morph into
R.I.P.
In memory of Stephanie
Thank you
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:28 am

Blindness is actually a L2 cleric spell. That has now been added to the cleric helpfile. As for raise dead in L9, that actually corresponds to "resurrection". Unfortunately, that's the only one of the "grouped" spells (e.g bulls strength, mass bulls strength) that I didn't split up because I think something as important as raise dead needs to be easily accessible to a new player. So, basically, when you see "raise dead" in L9 helpfile it actually corresponds to "resurrection".

As for the other issues, I'm just waiting to hear from a coder of some sort as to which ones (transmutation or otherwise) I go for.

Thanks all of you for raising these things! I appreciate the help!

~Ol
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Nicolya
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Nicolya » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:46 pm

For me, a cleric of tymora, blindess takes up a 3rd level slot. Not sure if other faiths have it at different levels.
- Current Character -
Cerise Kadrimme
Aveline
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Aveline » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:36 pm

I couldn't find the more recent place where people were suggesting new helpfiles..but..I think how to name a pet should be added to the helpfiles somewhere. Under naming..or pets perhaps. I've had many many people ask me about that, and been a bit frustrated after learning they could not name it after already buying it.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:35 pm

Aveline wrote:I couldn't find the more recent place where people were suggesting new helpfiles..but..I think how to name a pet should be added to the helpfiles somewhere. Under naming..or pets perhaps. I've had many many people ask me about that, and been a bit frustrated after learning they could not name it after already buying it.
Thanks, Aveline! The more recent spot is
http://www.gallwey.com/fk/board/viewtop ... highlight=
but this one is just grand. I've added to the PETS topic explaining this, though I know it will continue to be a source of confusion; most people don't realize they can name a pet at all, I think, until they have one that's not named and encounter one that is. But putting the trick to it in the helpfile should help!

Thanks again for mentioning it!
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:03 am

i remember a player searching through lots of monster manuals for possible polymorphs, and got really excited when he found one. The most powerful morphs in his arsenal were well-kept secrets.
that was a few years ago

is it not like that any more?
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Emrys
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Emrys » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:15 am

Minor Typos, in case we are fixing them...

In 'Exchanging glory for a feat point', 'COVERTFEATPOINT' should be 'CONVERTFEATPOINT'

In 'Exchanging glory for a stat point', 'COVERTSTATPOINT' should be 'CONVERTSTATPOINT'
The truth cant hurt you its just like the dark
It scares you witless
But in time you see things clear and stark