Who's on when

For the discussion of general topics about the game.

Think about the time(s) of day that you're most often logged in and then relate that to mid-day GMT by picking one or more of the timezones below

Poll ended at Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:19 pm

Somewhere between 10 and 12 hours behind GMT
No votes
Somewhere between 7 and 9 hours behind GMT
6%
Somewhere between 4 and 6 hours behind GMT
11%
Somewhere between 2 and 3 hours behind GMT
No votes
12 noon GMT, give or take an hour
33%
Somewhere between 2 and 3 hours ahead of GMT
17%
Somewhere between 4 and 6 hours ahead of GMT
No votes
Somewhere between 7 and 9 hours ahead of GMT
17%
Somewhere between 10 and 12 hours ahead of GMT
17%

Total votes: 18
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Who's on when

Post by Kelemvor » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:19 pm

Hey guys

I'm trying to add some detail to the information we have on player numbers and locations. This is mostly for myself for future reference when it comes to planning roleplays and such, but it may be useful to Imms working on other projects.

Pick as many timezones as your log in would usually cover. If your log in times vary across a week, just pick the one that is least subject to change as your example

http://www.davidsemporium.co.uk/__GMT.gif

many thanks

Kelemvor
Last edited by Kelemvor on Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Layna
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Layna » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:35 pm

I think I'm just being a bit dim - but while that poll gives us the option to say what timezone we're in, it doesn't give us the option to reflect what hours we're on - for example two people both located in the GMT timezone might log in at vastly differing times (owing to night shifts or what-have-you).

Would it perhaps be easier to ask everyone to convert the hours they are usually online to a common timezone and then list those (for example '7-11pm GMT' or somesuch?)

Sorry if I'm sort of missing the point (being the only person rattling around the office and bored out of your skull has that sort of impact on a body... ;))
Truth is beautiful, without doubt; but so are lies.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:10 pm

Hmmmm...I concur, there's something missing from the poll question. Here's my take on it...Kelemvor, if you want to nuke this and/or reset the poll, feel free.

For those with insufficient coffee at the time they are posed with this poll:

1) Go to
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedform.html

2) Fill in the time (ignore the day) that you most consistently log into FK, and can play without much distraction. (For me, before anyone else in my home wakes up!) Be sure to also set the location to a large city in your time zone.

3) Click on "Calculate Fixed Time"

4) Scroll down to the bottom of the table, and note the time indicated in the grey box, where it says "Current UTC (or GMT/Zulu)-time used:" (You can verify that it is within an hour of the time in London, to be sure!)

5) That is the time, in GMT, that might work best for you for RP's. I understand the poll to be asking for the number of hours ahead or behind noon GMT that you most often log on. So in my case, 11:30 am UTC means within an hour of Noon GMT. Scroll up to the tippy-top of this post and respond to the poll with that time!
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:51 pm

Entirely my fault, I changed my mind half way through about what I wanted to reflect with this and ended up not achieving either :)

As both of our lovely ladies indicated...

If you all pick your playing time and relate that to 12 noon GMT, I should get a proper spread of results.

So if you're in Alaska (11-12 hours behind GMT) but you play most often at Midnight, then you're actually logged in around the 12 noon GMT time.

The reverse being; that if, for example, you see from the poll results that most folks play at 12 noon GMT+10 you just need to look at what your local time is when it's 10pm GMT.

So, if I moved over to Australia to get away from ll the snow and I see everyone is playing at GMT+10 I would have to log in around 9 or 10 in the morning. (because my local time is 12 hours ahead of GMT.)

Hmmm, perhaps I've had too much coffee today. I should have created a new forum and called it brain teasers, but hey... it seemed like a useful question to ask when I started :)
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:56 pm

Can we have two polls? One for what hours you play, and then one for timezones, and then do an average or something using the two?
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Larethiel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Larethiel » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:04 pm

Doh, I'm absolutely too stupid for time zones....And for reading it seems :) Messed it up. I'm 6-7 hours ahead of gmt when I play. Usually. Not sure if I'm right.
Weit in der Champagne im Mittsommergrün,
dort, wo zwischen Grabkreuzen Mohnblumen blühn,
da flüstern die Gräser und wiegen sich leicht
im Wind, der sanft über das Gräberfeld streicht.
Mariela
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Mariela » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:33 pm

Because I normally work during the day, I log on twice-ish.

If I work at night, sometime between 9am - 1130am Central Standard Time, and then again after 10:30pm - 4am Central Standard time.

I think that puts me in terms of time dialation about 7 hours between me and GMT.

The 7 hour dialation is the same for let's see... about 8 peple that I am aware of. The hours logged on are not the same, but there are at least 8 of us within the Central Time Zone band that I am aware of.
Confusion heard his voice, and wild uproar Stood ruled, stood vast infinitude confined;
Till at his second bidding darkness fled, Light shone, and order from disorder sprung.
--John Milton
Ninde
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Ninde » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:44 pm

I live in +2 hours GMT, but I prefer to play in late night more.
Prolly because I've always been a night person :)
Rhianon
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Rhianon » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:55 pm

I live in the Central Time zone which puts me in "I have no idea what" compared to GMT. If there is someone who can help me figure out where I fit, I will be thankful, time zones only confuse me and make my head hurt. :roll:
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:10 pm

I'd suggest using the polls from http://www.gallwey.com/fk/board/viewtopic.php?p=37617 and http://www.gallwey.com/fk/board/viewtopic.php?p=37617 instead (I hope that they will be less confusing :) ).
Enaria
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Enaria » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:05 am

This has greatly confused me. Sorry I can't be of more help to this pole, but I voted on the other. I'm not sure how to compare 7PST = 3GMT into how many hours ahead or behind...
Daediana
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Daediana » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:36 am

I am on pretty much whenever... just not in the middle of the night... but usually anywhere from when I wake up to when I go to bed... depending on my schedual