A new trade and an idea to go along with smithing and...

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Alaudrien
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

A new trade and an idea to go along with smithing and...

Post by Alaudrien » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:11 am

Well I was talking to my friend an old buddy I met on the game when I first started and I told him an idea I thought up and he said it sounded awesome so here it is!

First It would involve a trade for clerics/wizards would be "etching designs"
That could do different things like elemental damage defense fortitude. The crafting of the etching designs wouldn't be easy and would be sold for a high amount of platinum. While to use them it would move onto the smiths lapidermist and leatherworkers.

They would need to purchase etching kits/embroidery kits. That would need to fit in there inventory when crafting the items. Each design could lead to many different things that I would leave up to the balancers of ideas and such. Only GMed crafters could have th skill to do this thing as well. While the kits could do like components and sometimes have some left or run out and go poof.

Please give me soem input I know this would take a bit of coding but it adds a new flare to those who have already mastered the skills and revive pc merchanthood I think!

:P

PS: Note that the etchings won't always work just sometimes depending on luck and favor level

IE A dwarven smith purchases the design and tool kit and etches it into a breastplate. The run glows softly as the design is completed. Or The dwarven smith etches the run into the breastplate and slips ruining the design.
I take only what I need and I need everything!

-Alyzlin
Oghma
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Oghma » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:12 am

Runecraft? Were runes of power are carved or etched into weapons and sewn into other materials? Is this what you mean? Sounds interesting. This could be something to accompany a smith or for a smith to add himself from scrolls or potions.
May you find the knowledge you seek. If you find something else, it is still knowledge, and as such, still a gain.
Alaudrien
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alaudrien » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:38 am

Aye basically rune craft ^^

-Alyzlin
Ninde
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Ninde » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:43 am

And this might provide armor/weapon crafters to create magical armor/weapon.
I liked that.
Alaudrien
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alaudrien » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:29 am

Aye each rune could be a gamble of what it could do. Magical, Blessed by god, More powerful magical, or ... duds!

-Alyzlin
Moloch
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Moloch » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:23 pm

Homg, this could bring about Dwarven Runecasters....*drools*
"My pain is constant and sharp, and I do not hope for a better world. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to survive."
Algon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Algon » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:30 pm

I have to say that my Dwarf would love this ability :D I think it is a really cool idea. How much would you big fighters pay to have a titanium breastplate etched with runes of Strength ;)
But the only thing I worry about it this becoming something that people make a million of and they not be special anymore. So I think it should be something that cost a good bit of coin to be able to do. That way you dont have an assembly line of these things going out.
Counting bodies like sheep...to the rhythm of the war drums. ~~~ Maynard
Alaudrien
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alaudrien » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:17 pm

Aye. That and they won't always work ...when done as well! What dwarf wouldn't want an axe etched with dwarvish runes and such. What elf wouldn't mind runes of elvish design along there blades? You could configured the etchings like a master's mark as well.

-Alyzlin
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:37 am

Or, you run a substantial risk of creating a cursed item...or after a certain amount of time it reverts to a cursed item, with the time before that happens being an unknown? That might dampen the purchase market and add a bit of mystery, hmmm?
Alaudrien
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alaudrien » Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:39 am

Yea that sounds pretty nice. The cursed items could spice up things..and perhaps it could go through a cursed stage sometimes and you have to find a way to bless it or make the curse run its course ; ;

-Alyzlin
Isolrem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isolrem » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:10 am

I tried but couldn't find any information on the runelore in FR.
Chars: Aryvael et all.
Alaudrien
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Alaudrien » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:22 am

hmm you could clump it under enchanted weapons..and dwarvish masterwork items and such

-Alyzlin
Tavik
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tavik » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:13 am

Another way to make this more risky is by implementing the rune's stability based on the crafter's skill. There are multiple mentions in a few different books of runes exploding due to abuse.

The system would basically work by determining the power of the explosion or what have you by the power of the rune and the chance of explosion based on the crafter's skill. i.e. A shield etched with a rune of great sheilding is hit just right and because the crafter was only and apprentice, the rune explodes and blows the wielders arm off, or the same thing happens but with a weak rune of shielding the resulting explosion only scratches the wielder's arm. Similarly, a sword etched with a rune of legendary chill is hit just right, but because it was crafted by a master, it does nothing.

I think this would compliment the curse effect and add to the mystery. I can just hear someone pondering "Well, this helm will give me more intelligence than I've ever had...but it it worth the risk of being turned into a vegetable or having it just remove my head?"
Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die. ~Mel Brooks