Priests Responsibility

To share knowledge about the world and links to useful resources.
Aliatris
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Priests Responsibility

Post by Aliatris » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:55 pm

Hello.

I would ask if in overall terms people thinks that clerics are portrayed adequately in the mud.

When I think of a priest/cleric I think as one of the mouths of their deity on Toril and also one of the represents of their faith, no an armored spellcaster.

When you are a cleric of a faith and you say something or make any kind of deal, you should think first in your church and second of yourself. Maybe the character hates something but his church officially don't recognize it, but the player still tries to cause problems to it. Then the character is acting like if their members of the faith too had a problem with it, or spreading teachings of their faith that really don't exist with the possible angerament of his deity.

That is why I never understood why clerics no have a kismet requirement,
a rogue,simple warrior and wizard in overall terms no have the divine responsibility that clerics have.
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:44 pm

It its simplest form, the cleric is, in fact, an armored spellcaster. An oversimplified approach, but in the pure game mechanics of the class.

However, the RP behind the particular cleric of a particular faith should be taken into consideration. Yes, it requires a bit of knowledge of the faith you serve, and an understanding of the workings of your deity. You may not be the ultimate authority of the deity and his ways when you start out, but that's why we have class levels, and faith levels.

While I don't think any priest character should be totally ignorant about the faith they wish to serve, a novice priest is just that, young, inexperienced, has a lot to learn, etc.

From the game mechanics point, treating them as an armoured spellcaster is a treatment that equates them in their simplest form with a templar warrior, rather than a cloistered adept. In tabletop, there's an NPC class called the adept to distinguish the church-bound priest with an adventuring one.

That said, if the RP suits a different approach, one doesn't HAVE to use the skills provided to all clerics. You could play the pacifist Ilmateri who doesn't wear any armour or carry anything more than a staff for a weapon. You could play the Maskarran priest decked in no more than the leather armour of the thieves he ministers to. You don't have to use or train any given skill allowed the priest, and that's okay if it doesn't fit the image of the priest you play.

There are several resources to look over for information on the various faiths of the realms and their priests. Tons of web pages on a Google search, there are of course the official source books. While the newer 3E Faiths and Pantheons book is expensive, the 2nd edition Faiths and Avatars guide is available both in PDF (or was) from TSRs old publication site, and for cheap in print on places like ebay, and arguably many say that the 2nd edition book is better, with much more detail on some of the more popular faiths and their ways.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Maybel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Maybel » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:41 pm

I guess with my experience... I would have to say that I do not think of them as the mouths of their patrons until they have proven themselves otherwise... Some people pick the cleric path just because they want to heal themselves and wear heavy armor. So I wait and see how well they portray their deity and take what they have to say with a grain of salt tell they prove to themselves
R.I.P.
You will never be forgotten..
In memory of Stephanie
and the best damn RPing I have ever had!
Thank you
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:18 am

In my own opinion, a priest is the embodiement of their deity's will on Faerun. They should endeavor to be a shining archon of the faith no matter what their faith level is. If you are content to be a priest of poorer standing, expect to be less favoured or less icly respected. A good cleric or priest knows what he is doing, he or she is knowledgable about the faith and willing to use that knowledge for the betterment or doom of others depending on their alignment. Others like warriors, and wizards and rogues can have varying degrees of faith, but it is the duty of priests to lead them, to counsel and to offer advice or warn them of the offenses they commit. This is my opinion of what a priest should be, I do not think every priest should be this way or need to be, but they aught to be in my opinion. Those that are have my comendations. Those that are not, I am sure your rp warrants it and you have the right to judge how your priest will act and should act. Be true to thy self.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Scylere
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Scylere » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:49 am

I see a cleric and a priest as two different things - as does the dictionary. 2nd ed defines a cleric as a type of priest. 3rd ed only has the cleric class. Eberron clearly makes distinctions between priests and clerics.

A cleric is usually defined as someone who is a member of the clergy - not necessarily a priest, but a scribe, a secretary, a healer, a notary, an accountant, a servant, an advisor, a scholar, a book keeper, a translator, a teacher, a clerk, and other directions a person could take.

A priest is usually defined as a pastor, the official rank below a bishop, the person who performs religious rites, etc.

My point here is similar to Gwain's - be true to what you want your "priest/cleric" to be, which have many directions to take. Meaning that not all clerics need to be the leaders or pastors in the church. In fact, it's more interesting when clerics take on different roles in the church.

I do also believe that if one is going to choose to be a cleric/priest, researching the faith is necessary. A cleric should understand their faith to the best of their ability. There are many directions a priest/cleric's roleplay could be taken.

I also discovered that "clerics" are small-sized reading glasses worn on the nose, usually rimless or with a thin metal frame.
Aliatris
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Aliatris » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:01 pm

Also I would add that at least when I hear saying a cleric of X something,
I am assuming that the church of X says something too, if this is not the true
well his superiors or his deity will teach them by hard.
Jedan
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Jedan » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:54 pm

Aliatris wrote:Also I would add that at least when I hear saying a cleric of X something,
I am assuming that the church of X says something too, if this is not the true
well his superiors or his deity will teach them by hard.
Well, I wouldn't necessarily think so. If something a priest says is in direct contradiction of the Church, then obviously they need a good beating, but if the church has no particular attitude about an issue a Priest is free to state his own opinions about it.
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:59 pm

Similar topic: http://www.gallwey.com/fk/board/viewtopic.php?t=3061

My feeling here is no priest has any responsibility to anyone but themselves and their God/dess. And just because you may see a priest and think they are following improperly, do not forget you do not shadow said priests every single move. :)

I think there's no real responsibility you can demand of a priest, but priests have to remember of themselves, if they do not atleast keep within the most basic knowledge of the church, their gods also do not have a responsibility to favour them.
Beshaba potatoes.
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:30 pm

To me a priest's most important duty is to recruit followers into his faith.
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:43 pm

I think it's more important for a priest to devote themselves than to actively recruit people in my opinion. Sure you can have hundreds of new followers, but that means nilch if you devote yourself to finding them rather than to the god. There's definately not competition to see who's faith can be the fullest on FK. That whole quality over quantity thing is where my feelings stand on it. :3
Beshaba potatoes.
Aliatris
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Aliatris » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:46 pm

For me the priest should be the best example of behavior by a member of his church, any behavior of the priest that could make his church attract more enemies, make people doubt of his teachings, or contradicting the teachings of his god/ess should have repercussions.
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:02 pm

Mele wrote:I think it's more important for a priest to devote themselves than to actively recruit people in my opinion. Sure you can have hundreds of new followers, but that means nilch if you devote yourself to finding them rather than to the god. There's definately not competition to see who's faith can be the fullest on FK. That whole quality over quantity thing is where my feelings stand on it. :3
I guess it depends on your opinion of what recruiting is. Being a recruiter you don't just go around to anyone trying to recruit them, you look for certain things that you want in your faith.

Japcil has recruited two bards in Garl's faith because he thinks the faith could use more bards to write stories of the faith and of Garl. While yes anyone can write a book, this is a profession chosen by those characters, of course they don't have to write about Garl but they have/ or hopefully will.

And on the note of fullest faiths, while yes that isnt a point of the game, my priest is of a racial god, Garl, who accepts gnomes, a little played race to me, which on average you can find 2 to 3 online at a given time, where there is 12 humans and 5 elves. These gnomes can choose any human god if they really wanted to or Gond if they choose to. Unless they are priests which may still limit them to Gond or Garl. Not sure if that is still in place.
Scylere
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Scylere » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:15 pm

Hmm..gnomish priest of Corellon, granting underthetable favours to Kurtulmak!