Sleeping in heavy armour

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Vindur
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Sleeping in heavy armour

Post by Vindur » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:35 am

Do you think that is IC a character sleeping with a medium/heavy armour?

From the manual:

Sleeping in Armor

A character who sleeps in medium or heavy armor is automatically fatigued the next day. He or she takes a -2 penalty on Strength and Dexterity and can’t charge or run. Sleeping in light armor does not cause fatigue.

Note than in PnP Rangers get the feat endurance that allows many things, one of them is sleeping in medium armour without penalties.
Ealain
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Ealain » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:09 am

While it is not IC, I think it is one of those things that is hard to duplicate in a realtime Mud environment. Players do not sleep for hours at a time as would be the case in the real world or in tabletop.

There is also the difficulty of storing armour when sleeping - how to allow the sleeping to be accurately portrayed without leaving the sleeper vulnerable to thieves looting an overflowing inventory.

And yes, this would be more IC, but sometimes OOC considerations to keep play fun outweigh realsim I feel.

I would view sleeping in the wilds or in a dungeon as dozing, taking a power nap or some such... just enough to get you by.

Sleeping in an Inn is far more beneficial than outside, so I would take that to be the peejays and pillow / out like a light sleeping.

Removing armour is a tricky business, so overlooking the inconsistency for the sake of roleplay and fun is the way to go I think.
Aliatris
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Aliatris » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:38 am

Well I don't see anything wrong in a fighter removing the more heavy or uncomfortable pieces of armour before sleeping and having them in his inventory while he sleeps, and of course if a thief wants to steal the armour of a knight to sell it or just to cause problems to him, he is not going to go toe to toe with the fighter in order to get it.
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:10 pm

I personally know some players who go through that extra mile of removing armor before they sleep. To me this is one of the areas of rp that should be overlooked. Perhaps when your wiyh a big group and you are sleeping in shifts but, I have never seen an rp go that indepth. Other than that I would say its too much of a hastle.
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Leohand
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Leohand » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:35 pm

Aliatris wrote:Well I don't see anything wrong in a fighter removing the more heavy or uncomfortable pieces of armour before sleeping and having them in his inventory while he sleeps, and of course if a thief wants to steal the armour of a knight to sell it or just to cause problems to him, he is not going to go toe to toe with the fighter in order to get it.
Level 50 thief, level 30 fighter? I dunno, a good theif might try it. I figure it's one of the things we should just overlook. Remember, in table top a fighter might rig traps, and a priest might cast wards to detect intrusions, but we don't have that in FK.
Windows 95: n.
32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.
Shabanna
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Shabanna » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:32 pm

Well... It *is* rumored... that...Tempurians ALWAYS wear their armour...
Or so I have been told *coughs*
>.>
<.<
*snickers and runs away before she gets in trouble*

SO sorry.. I really could not resist!!! :wink:
"The Banna"
"May Fortune climb into your lap and refuse to leave"
Builder Council: Journeyman
Neriadin
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Sleeping in a combat zone

Post by Neriadin » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:02 pm

Personally, when sleeping in a combat zone, my kevlar is strapped on loosely as is my bodyarmour. One never knows when the next firefight or mortar attack will come. If I caught one of my Marines dropping their gear, they were guaranteed to remember the experience.

That being said, a player who sleeps in dangerous areas (anywhere outside of the inns) is unwise to remove their armour. We can easily RP loosening the straps and such before nodding off.

As for fatigue, it is indeed uncomfortable to sleep in armour. A bit of stretching afterwards {a lot at my age :wink: } usually helps get the knots out of cramped bones and muscles. Mental fatigue is a different matter and has more to do with how much sleep one gets than it does how comfy that sleep was.

In FK, there is a timer after each fight that will not allow the player to sleep immediately after battle. It simulates the "adrenaline rush" one experiences in combat. Cudos to the coders for that one!

Experienced warriors everywhere eventually learn to sleep in very arduous conditions. Digging shallow sleeping trenches in the goat-crap infested sands of Iraq comes to mind.