combat +aggressive and +defensive

A place to suggest new commands, feats, skills, ...
Solaghar
Staff
Staff

combat +aggressive and +defensive

Post by Solaghar » Tue May 01, 2007 6:00 am

It makes no sense to be able to have both of these combat modes on at the same time. It should be either one or the other. You can get the bonuses for both at the moment, but there's no realistic way to be fighting both aggressively and defensively at the same time in the way that the combat modes describe.
Tortus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tortus » Tue May 01, 2007 12:09 pm

You also get the penalties for both modes though, so I suppose it evens out in the end.
Lukon
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Lukon » Tue May 01, 2007 1:05 pm

The way I see it is that you're sacrificing accuracy in two different ways: 1) in focusing on maintaining a strong defense, thus limiting yourself to 'safe' attack opening, and then 2) using more force than finesse on those 'safe openings' to try to get maximum efffect. All in all, a poor strategy...unless you're simply THAT much better than your opponent that you can still score consistently.
"Everybody dies sometime..."
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Tue May 01, 2007 2:10 pm

I am wondering... is there any rule against using Power Attack .and. Expertise at the same time, in table-top? I can't remember any, though I agree that such a rule would make sense.
Solaghar
Staff
Staff

Post by Solaghar » Tue May 01, 2007 4:05 pm

There is nothing in the official rules at all about power attack and combat expertise, so I searched around for some sort of discussion about it or something to that effect and this was what I came across. They're using standards based on the D20 system whereas I think our own attack/defense system is somewhat different, but it's still interesting to read how they try to work it out.

http://paizo.com/titanicGames/messagebo ... owerAttack
Scylere
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Scylere » Tue May 01, 2007 5:25 pm

Got a question related to this.

I've heard some people can use Aggressive mode and/or Defensive mode without have either of the Expertise or Power Attack feats. Is that true? If you can use them without the feats, what benefit do the feats give?
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Tue May 01, 2007 6:32 pm

As noted in the Help files which you read of course. I mean, why wouldnt you after all the effort that the Helpfile team put into them. It'd be pretty silly, if not horribly rude, to Ask or post a question that could have been answered by using the extensive Help system that they helped to create with their laborious and highly appreciated efforts ;) using the mode(s) without the feat(s) incurs a penalty to your hit roll.

That is, whilst concentrating on getting hit less or hitting someone with more impact, your own ability to hit someone is reduced.
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Scylere
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Scylere » Wed May 02, 2007 3:19 am

Did read the help files, but wanted to slam a rumour.