Choosing a proper name.

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Cret
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Choosing a proper name.

Post by Cret » Sat May 19, 2007 2:49 am

(note: Im not contesting the events in this discussion, the point is moot and I understand that, I am only using them as a refrence for examples.)

Recently, having created an orc, I names the character "Eurognana" and it was found un-acceptable.
Help names wrote: NOT be:

- Nonsensical, unpronounceable or ridiculous.
- Profane or derogatory as interpreted in any language.
- Futuristic or common, such as 'Jill' or 'Laser'.
- Significant in history, mythology, or any religion.
- Comprised of various capital letters, such as 'BrACkkA' or 'CORTO'.
- Comprised of ranks or titles, such as 'Lord' or 'Master'.
- Composed of singular descriptive nouns, adverbs or adjectives,
as in 'Heart', 'Big', 'Flying', 'Broken', 'Slick' or 'Tricky'.
- Any of the above in reverse, i.e., writing Jade as 'Edaj'.
- Any combination of singular descriptive nouns/adverbs or adjectives, as
in 'Metaljacket Heartbound Earthstone or Softheart'.
- Taken from popular fiction.
Now this name, IMO, fits all these criteria (Or not as the case should entail).

I sent in an email to question about this and got this in reply:
email wrote: I would add, that as per the Help Names file, it is not usually our
policy to enter into a discussion around name authorisation.
wich points to this:
help names wrote: In addition, they may have their own
reasons for denying your name. The final determination as to the
validity of a name on the Realms is the discretion of the Immortals
and is NOT subject to debate or discussion. If your name is denied,
simply follow the guidelines and try a new one.
Now, there is not help file for how to name any of the exotic races. We have only the help file to look at. With out knowing a reason for not having this name accepted dosent help me, in a constructive manner, find a new name for my aspiring orc.

So I ask two things:

1) Give a small explination of why a name isnt proper. (This will help to rename a character and not break any of the same mistakes in later choices/creations)
2) Make helpfiles as to how to name the exotic races.
ie..Half-drow have to have drow'ish names (This came up with me in the past as well)

(note: once again, please do not take this as a negative rant only trying to help myself and others who arnt 'in-the-know' of how names on FK should be made)
Dugald
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Dugald » Sat May 19, 2007 3:06 am

I'd only have guesses as to why it was denied.

The word Euro is a pretty common RL prefix on events or people

Gnana - the way I'm pronouncing it in my head it sounds a lot like Ghana...which is another place in real life, not to mention it looks as close as you can get without it being Ghana.

Amerexico, i'd also consider stricken :)

I know you didn't do it on purpose, but the moment i saw that - i thought of europe and ghana.
Jaenoic
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Jaenoic » Sat May 19, 2007 3:11 am

That's funny because when I looked at it, I saw it as being divided into Eurog and Nana, and didn't even realize Euro and Ghana. :lol: But actually my first impression was that it was a word written backwards, but a little mind boggling proved that to be incorrect. Anangorue. Actually... That's kind of a cool name. ;)
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Sat May 19, 2007 7:15 am

A fictional Immortal wrote:
(note: Im not contesting the events in this discussion, the point is moot and I understand that, I am only using them as a refrence for examples.)
...but I will then go on to explain how I disagree with the Imm team, the Help File and the reasons for my special name being disallowed when it is my right to have exactly what I want at any time I want it. Furthermore, I will quote the Imms out of context and ignore the lengthy advice given by the Ask channel around this issue.
As you can see from my example, such posts are open to interpretation and can all too easily cause ill-feeling and unhappiness.

It is unfortunate that you chose to open up the discussion in this way. It would probably have been better to post in the races thread and ask for suggestions on good names for exotic races or for resource book or website examples that could have offered you some help and advice.

To be clear on this, the name you chose was not allowed because it was felt (by more than one Imm) that it was not a suitable name for an orc. It lacked a certain orcishness if you will, based on this campaign setting and other Orc names.
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Sat May 19, 2007 11:08 am

Kelemvor wrote:...post in the races thread and ask for suggestions on good names for exotic races or for resource book or website examples that could have offered you some help and advice.
That's a fine idea! Please see (and if you have it to offer, add wisdom to)
http://www.gallwey.com/fk/board/viewtop ... 3236#43236