Frustration from Outside the Halls

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Boruk
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Frustration from Outside the Halls

Post by Boruk » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:13 am

First let me say I have really enjoyed the game. The amount of work that has went into it and the fine players make it a durn good world.

The thing is...
I have finsihed spending hours and hours playing "guess the verb" trying to get my dwarf into Mithril Halls. From everything I could think of (examine 1.a, examine 2.a etc.) to every verb on the list. Mapped out the entire area, looked at every word in every description, talked to each NPC saying words I hoped were key words, spoke to an "object" that was living, tried says and saytos with it, knocked, pushed, pulled, shoved...
...you get the idea.

Somewhere in all of that there should be 1 hint of how to get in. This has become a frustrating "game breaker" to me.

After doing an ask (which the answerer was very nice and professional) to find out if there was some skill/level limit (or if it was even possible) it seemed my only answer was to find a dwarf from inside that would tell me how.

In the time I have played (granted, under 200 hours) I have met 1 dwarf. They either did not know how to get in, or, possibly thinking that it was a game secret, did not tell me.

In my opinion there should be some hint in the area to allow dwarves that seek entrance the ability to find the means to enter. Counting on dwarves from outside the halls to meet dwarves that may never leave the halls is, to me, very frustrating.
Oghma
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Oghma » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:20 am

A good suggestion I can make would be to look at what you feel is missing as you said and create an alternative solution or suggest one to fkbuilders@lists.skynet.ie in the form of an idea or quest to gain entry. Patience is key and any ideas or suggestions always help in the game environment.
May you find the knowledge you seek. If you find something else, it is still knowledge, and as such, still a gain.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:49 am

Hi there, and welcome to Forgotten Kingdoms !

I believe that you are taking the problem from a wrong perspective. From what I read in your post, I have the impression that you feel that, since you want to have your character visit Mithril Hall, there should be a way for you to do it just by finding out the "technical trick" to do it, that is, by finding out the right keyword to use.

For many goals in FK, the most efficient way to look at them is not from a "technical trick" perspective, but from an IC perspective; and, most of the time, this IC perspective requires (a huge lot of) patience and interactions with others (after all, this is a multiplayer game).

Imagine yourself being a dwarf from outside of Mithril Hall wanting to visit the fabled halls. I don't think you would just try to get to the door and spend hours trying to see if the correct password is "bela" [friends in elvish], or if you need to place your hands in a specific pattern on the door, or if you need to stand up on your head while wiggling your toes, would you?

Instead, you would seek out someone who knows. In a world with plenty of adventurers, there has to be someone who knows someone who knows someone ... who knows a dwarf from Mithril Hall and can have this dwarf meet you, no?

Practically, I would suggest that let other people know of your desire and ask them if they know of a dwarf from Mithril Hall and could set up a meeting between the two of you. If that really does not work, you still have the option to send a mail to the "applications" address (see http://www.gallwey.com/fk/board/viewtopic.php?t=6563) asking for the imms to set up a roleplay that would allow you to enter Mithril Hall.

In the end, it will have taken you more time to get inside, but you will have met characters from inside, you will have strengthened your character, and you will have made your character more interesting by giving him a stronger backstory (see him 1200 years in the future telling his grandchildren "Oh, you want to know how I got into Mithril Hall? Now, that's a long story ...").

I hope that helps. Happy mudding!
Caelnai
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Caelnai » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:28 am

I've seen you on Boruk, but you might need to reach out a bit to the other dwarves. There's been a lot of MH dwarf activity lately, and maybe you just need the right introduction. Perhaps try a posting or mention it in MS that you are looking for a MH dwarf. :D
Boruk
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Boruk » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:48 pm

My thanks to the two fine dwarven fellows that helped me get in today. A hearty "Thank you." to all that posted suggestions as well.

This player really appreciates it.