Supplicated Resurrection Poll

A place to suggest new commands, feats, skills, ...

Where should SUPPLICATE RESURRECTION place you?

My deity's major temple
90%
The central square of my hometown
6%
A random spot of plains somewhere outside the cities
3%
A spot chosen based on my alignment
No votes
A spot chosen based on my race
No votes

Total votes: 31
Raona
Staff
Staff

Supplicated Resurrection Poll

Post by Raona » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:47 am

SUPPLICATE RECALL brings you to your deity's (major) temple.

Right now, it looks like SUPPLICATE RESURRECTION brings you to the central square of your home town.

I've been asked to seed a poll about a possible change to the latter.

Where do you think SUPPLICATE RESURRECTION should bring you?

Feel free to comment on your reasoning.
Sairaven
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Sairaven » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:56 am

I believe that supplicating anything from your deity should take you to their temple if it moves you, be it in spirit or body.

That *is* the point of faith.
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"
~Despair.com
----
Sairaven - Dusk Echo of Helm
Quey - The Broken Blade
Vagan Silversword, Warwizard
Amalia
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Amalia » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:02 am

I think it makes the most sense for a supplicated resurrection to place a PC in their deity's major temple for two reasons-- first, because one's temple is probably the first place one would look for support and allies, which tend to be quite handy when one has come up against something big enough to eat one's face. Second, although Gods aren't bound by the limitations of mortal workings, the resurrection spell brings a PC back to life in the place where it was cast-- in the case of a God, this would likely be the temple, the center of the God's power, at least as a default.

I can see a downside to this, in regards to the faiths whose major temples are in isolated locations (e.g., far from Waterdeep for pretty much any goodly Deity), but I tend to think that when a supplicate resurrection gets pulled out it means some major badness has gone down and a PC would be well-served by asking allies from around the Realms to come to his or her aid anyway.
Dear Enemy: May the Lord hate you and all your kind, may you be turned orange in hue, and may your head fall off at an awkward moment.
Hrosskell
Staff
Staff

Post by Hrosskell » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:40 am

My only problem with this lies in the fact that not all deity's HAVE a major temple. There are scattered holy spots for most, and I suppose those would work, but do faiths without large temples get shafted, or what?

Maybe I'm wrong about that, as I haven't searched for all the temples in game, but the ones I was thinking about are Oghma, Ilmater, and Talos. A few others might've slipped my mind, but that's all I can think of for now.
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:17 am

I'll note it doesn't take a major temple, you could end up in a shrine too. A follower of Mielikki might just end up in a random forest sometimes.
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:37 am

Another possible option could be a random temple, instead of one temple.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:08 am

Hrosskell wrote:My only problem with this lies in the fact that not all deity's HAVE a major temple. There are scattered holy spots for most, and I suppose those would work, but do faiths without large temples get shafted, or what?

Maybe I'm wrong about that, as I haven't searched for all the temples in game, but the ones I was thinking about are Oghma, Ilmater, and Talos. A few others might've slipped my mind, but that's all I can think of for now.
I guess what I meant was their largest or most significant temple, even if it isn't large. Oghma has the Font in Waterdeep, and Ilmater has the Plinth, also in Waterdeep; I hope I'll be excused for not knowing squat about Talos. :wink:
Japcil wrote:Another possible option could be a random temple, instead of one temple.
Would that be reasonably straightforward to code?

(Would it place members of certain faiths at risk of ending up naked in the Undermountain, or somewhere similarly dangerous, to base placement solely on a flag indicating the faith?)
Mask
Staff
Staff

Post by Mask » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:56 pm

Eer, it was changed a week or so ago to bring you to the same place as supplicate recall. Not sure if this has made it into the game yet.
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:12 pm

Can we still open up the possibility of randomizing the point of which temple you appear at if a deity has more than one suitable option?
Belose
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Belose » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:21 am

Well, that pretty well screws it up for Frankkin...considering how often he has had to resurrect...But Yondalla provides.. I guess the only holy place Yondalla has is the Copse near Ardeep.... is that where the halfling contingent would go?
What the Mind of a man can conceive, the Will of a man can achieve.
Mask
Staff
Staff

Post by Mask » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:04 am

Japcil wrote:Can we still open up the possibility of randomizing the point of which temple you appear at if a deity has more than one suitable option?
No, that's not practical.
Sairaven
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Sairaven » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:02 am

Mask wrote:
Japcil wrote:Can we still open up the possibility of randomizing the point of which temple you appear at if a deity has more than one suitable option?
No, that's not practical.
What about allowing the supplicant to set a particular temple? Say I wanted to supplicate a return to the temple of Oghma in Berdusk, would it be possible to set that as a particular room?
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"
~Despair.com
----
Sairaven - Dusk Echo of Helm
Quey - The Broken Blade
Vagan Silversword, Warwizard
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:03 am

Well, that pretty well screws it up for Frankkin...considering how often he has had to resurrect...
Selfish whiney :(
But Yondalla provides..
Martyred whiney :?
I guess the only holy place Yondalla has is the Copse near Ardeep....
hopeful whiney :)
is that where the halfling contingent would go?
reasonable whiney :D

Scarey how anyone can go through that range of emotions in one post...

...but linking to what I said in the Resurrection post, I think I mixed up supplicate recall and supplicate resurrection.

Nature's Grove, Ardeep Feywarden and other places are obviously supplicate recall locations.

Since resurrection now mimics recall, all races should have a reasonable point already in game, though it may require updating if a more ICly obvious place is now available.

If you feel that you need to know what your recall/resurrect point is so badly that the world might end if you don't; supplicate recall ;)

If you're smart and do it when I'm on line I may even refund you the favor
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Rhianon
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Rhianon » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:22 pm

I think various temples/shrines would be nice since it would give the character a chance to learn about temples of their deity that they may not have known existed.
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:33 pm

Why is it not practical to return to your gods temple when your god is returning your life?
Beshaba potatoes.
Oghma
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Oghma » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:37 pm

It may be hard to code a random generator for temples based on faiths.
May you find the knowledge you seek. If you find something else, it is still knowledge, and as such, still a gain.
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:47 pm

But it was coded that supp ress brought you to a temple.
Beshaba potatoes.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:00 pm

Each deity is described in a special file.

That file contains various information about the deity and the church. For example, it lists the supplicated objects, the cost of supplicate recall, the cost of supplicate resurection (in "favour points"), the associated holy symbol, the actions that increase favour, the actions that decrease favour, and so on.

One of the things it lists is the vnum of the room for supplicate recall.

---------------

Changing it so that supplicate resurrection brings you to the room where you go when you supplicate recall is easy enough: the information is already there in the deity file.

Randomizing the room where you go when you supplicate-resurrection would require not only changing the hard code, but also adding more information to the deity file (i.e., listing ALL the temples, and not only ONE).

I would guess that is what Mask means by "this is not practical".
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:06 pm

Ah, I was under the impression it was doing it to the supp recall point that was impractical. :)
Beshaba potatoes.
Mask
Staff
Staff

Post by Mask » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:22 pm

Yes, I don't think it is practical for the reasons that Christophe outlines. In my first post on this thread, I thought I said that supplicate resurrection has been changed to take you to the same place as supplicate recall...maybe I phrased that part badly too :).

M