PG-13 Clarification and Other Stories

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:38 pm

If people aren't allowed to have a wee bit privacy, where do the baby-mobs come from?
Chauntea
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:56 pm

Laurie wrote:Not only does it prevent players from doing sexual deeds in their own private room with perhaps a much younger player that has no idea whats happening, it also prevents players from using vulgar language. In my opinion, this rule was not only put there for players younger then 18 but also to make FK look more respectable. Joining a game that has people swearing and open sex doesn't make for a game's good reputation. Also why allow players to have sex now when they have been getting along so far without it.
Actually you can say all 7 of George Carlin's words you can't say on the radio, and still get a PG-13 rating on a movie. Movie rating boards typically will allow "one of the harsher sexually derived words", (including the f-word, the d-word, the c-words, etc), up to three instances in a sexual context. And any of those words are allowed without restriction, so long as they're used as expletives, and not in sexual context.

PG-13 may also allow depictions or discussion of light drug use (marijuana useage, brief appearances of drug paraphernalia, etc)

PG-13 also allows top-frontal nudity of either gender, and more likely rear-nudity of males than females (for some reason, a male arse is considered simply ribald and a female's sexual, go figure). Also documented in PG-13 movies are plenty of instances of sexual innuendo, bath scenes, necking, and etc. None of these shoves a movie rating into the R catagory automatically. Titanic involves a steamy scene, following a nude painting scene, that includes partial frontal nudity, and a quite apparent depiction of the couple going to town in a car, with nothing but a steamed up window to conceal anything (with a good length segment of it shot INSIDE the car from the chest up). That movie is rated PG-13.

In fact, a movie is more likely to receive its R rating, based on graphic violence, than it is for ANY of the above inclusions. Our echoes in combat talk about cleaving heads, severing limbs, tearing hearts out of chests that can subsequently be eaten! ALL of these would push a movie into the R category, while any of the above alone, would not.

Frankly, I don't consider most PG-13 movies at ALL appropriate for my son for when he's 13. He will NOT be watching Titanic, you can be guaranteed, because Shabanna would kill me if I let him.

Our biggest problem is not should it be PG-13, but its that the MUD rules do not clearly delineate what is and is not appropriate roleplay for THIS mud. One imm will call on someone for removing a bodice, while another won't jump in until someone smotes straddling something, while another one says after a fade to the couple "Oh, come now, you can do better that that!" (This is NOT an exaggeration, it happened.)

Cite: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPAA_film_ ... -13_rating
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Shabanna
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Shabanna » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:02 pm

Lathander wrote:
If people aren't allowed to have a wee bit privacy, where do the baby-mobs come from?
Chauntea

:shock: *gasp*
Shabanna... did not sleep with Chauntea!
"May Fortune climb into your lap and refuse to leave"
Builder Council: Journeyman
Dapher
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dapher » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:28 pm

Thank you Kregor, that was very well put. I agree 100% with you on that.
Sairaven
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Sairaven » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:34 pm

Kregor wrote:while another one says after a fade to the couple "Oh, come now, you can do better that that!" (This is NOT an exaggeration, it
I believe it. I had it happen in another MUD. I believe that the message was "That was it?"
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"
~Despair.com
----
Sairaven - Dusk Echo of Helm
Quey - The Broken Blade
Vagan Silversword, Warwizard
Laurie
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Laurie » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:22 pm

Thats what fade to black is for.
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:37 pm

I think its all been answered now, anyway! :) My original questions can be found above, and the imms have said conclusively the PG-13 rating is staying and that applications are not required for same-sex relationships.

Thanks for the response! (Of course, I'm sure we'll all still be debating it till the thread dies and decomposes in a heap of mouldly... mould)

~Ol
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:03 am

Laurie wrote:Thats what fade to black is for.
WHAT is what fade to black is for?

That one sentence does not put us any closer to actually delineating how much is too much. Some people could just as easily be taken back and offended by someone smoting "Licks <malePC> from chest to forehead." before the fade as anything else. I don't see where there's any plain line drawn, and that's my main point in my post above.

My point, was that you said that the PG-13 rating is to keep FK more proper and decent, I cited that PG-13 is a HUGE berth of possibilities that need to be addressed more specifically, and that no, just calling yourself PG-13 doesn't make you young-people-friendly and somehow highbrow, nor does it really give the limit unless we basically say "All of that up there above is acceptable" and keep it consistent.

They fade to black in PG-13 movies too... after the gratuitous part in Titanic, the fade comes from the outside of the car seeing her hand scraping at the steamy window. Are we good with this? What are we good with? I wanna know before Kregor is invited to another wedding and Aelfwynne drags him under the banquet table after the reception again.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Mouat
Sword Master
Sword Master

What started all this?

Post by Mouat » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:01 am

Did this all come about because some of you saw two dwarves making out and couldn't tell that it was actually a male dwarf and female dwarf?

"Five dozen of 'em" Bruenor reiterated into his doubting expression. "Dwarf women, I tell ye."

"My friend," Drizzt answered, moving off once more, "I never could tell the difference."

===============================================
Centurion-"Sir I think you should look out that way"

Baltar-"stop babbling Centurion, I dont want to miss a second of the destruction of the last battlestar; burn Galactica burn!"

Centurion-"Sir I think you should look at the other battlestar"

Baltar-"Alright Centurion what are you babbling about!<sees Pegasus> well turn you fool hes heading right for us!"
Maybel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Maybel » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:46 pm

Wow I have missed a lot on the forums and I used to pride myself with staying up to date with everything... *cracks knuckles and dusts off his keyboard* lets get cracking...

I agree with a lot of things brought up... Anything that straight couples do, anyone should be able to do...

I like the "fade-to-black" but when should you do it? There was something said recently that said "don't do anything you wouldn't want the IMM's seeing" EXACTLY, you should ALWAYS think that way... If you feel you shouldn't be doing it... DON'T... to me... it seams just that simple...

I play to have fun, If I am not having fun, I leave the current RP and do something to have fun, if I can't, I play a different character that I can make fun (trouble)...

EDIT: It is a MUD and just a game to have fun, but we have to ensure that EVERYONE has fun on it... we can't be greedy and make it fun for only us... That is just rude and ... not nice...

I do agree with Kregor and he brought up some really interesting stuff (as he usually does) about the fighting and ripping of limbs and such... sexual conduct should be it's own rating apart from violence. But one's views on "enough is enough" is different from another and such is quite hard to tell when to fade...

I believe (and this is only my own) we all know what happens when we fade... so why have anything sexual before it... we can have a few kisses on a bed, tree trunk, under a banquet table... and have a fade in and continue RP... What is the need for the sexual conduct at all?

P.S. As for being a fly on the wall... I swat all flys within my dwelling... or pluck their wings off and let them suffer in a glass jar slowing suffocating and not being able to leave but seeing freedom all around them... think twice before you decide to be anything on my walls.... :twisted:
R.I.P.
You will never be forgotten..
In memory of Stephanie
and the best damn RPing I have ever had!
Thank you
Belose
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Belose » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:41 am

Actually, Maybel.. it might be worth it!!
What the Mind of a man can conceive, the Will of a man can achieve.
Neriadin
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Neriadin » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:06 am

I believe the issue of "how far to go" in a public RP is summed up in the rules as follows: "Anything that is considered unacceptable in the normal workplace can be considered unacceptable in public on Forgotten Kingdoms." I believe that standard was also implied in the private RP rules where we are asked to "fade to black" and assume the "deed was done". Those adults that wish to take things beyond what is "considered unacceptable in the normal workplace" should be responsible and considerate enough to (a) ensure that it is a responsible adult they are dealing with on the opposite monitor, and (b) do so elsewhere. When they return, their RP can assume the "deed was done" and keep those actions that may be considered inappropriate for minors in a truly private setting that protects the intent and integrity of the staff here.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:49 am

This game is perfectly acceptable in a work place...

...as long as you work in a post office.
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:04 am

Neriadin wrote:I believe the issue of "how far to go" in a public RP is summed up in the rules as follows: "Anything that is considered unacceptable in the normal workplace can be considered unacceptable in public on Forgotten Kingdoms."
I'm not sure how that works over there in the US but here, we are not allowed to kill people and monsters in work places. :)
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:06 am

You dont have exteminators???
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:52 am

Not for people, no. :)
Neriadin
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Neriadin » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:56 am

Fascinating. I thought for sure anyone reading my previous post would realize I was discussing something other than violence. Regardless, my workplace was the USMC, so killing was part of the job. Guess that makes me a retired killer?
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:00 am

Hmm sounds like a business opportunity to me. 8)
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: PG-13 Clarification and Other Stories

Post by Selveem » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:05 pm

Raona wrote:I believe a fair summary in this particular case is that eating your opponent lies near (but within) the fuzzy edge of the PG-13 boundaries; tone down the description of such unless you know your audience (the players of any other PCs present) well.
I'm fairly certain a depiction of cannibalism would not be PG-13, but I know that scalping someone wouldn't be.

The PG-13 I understand, but disagree with. Anyone that wouldn't allow their child to view limb reaving, flaying of flesh via scourge, scalping, murdering, genocide, self mutilation, or human cannibalism would not expect to find this within the confines of a PG-13 movie.

I am not stating we should not have rules. I just think the blanket covering such as PG-13 does not define the complexities of this MUD.

I find it humorous how quickly people point the finger at sexual acts as the true evils. "OMG, did she just grope him in public. That couple is a moral outrage and offends my sensibilities!"

I understand that some might believe that to set a specific standard, people may attempt to push the envelope, but to those I ask 'What is the difference in making such ruling ambiguous?'

Those who attempt to push boundaries don't care the wording. They care about loopholes. By making everything ambiguous, the rest of the 'law-abiding' types are disserviced. This also leaves individual rulings subject to individual interpretation. "What? That's all?" or "Hey, that's a bit too much." are obvious signs of this.

Regardless, I don't feel the PG-13 rating is valid (nor, really, did it ever have a place here in the years I have been here). I have seen behavior far exceeding PG-13 from Imms as well as mortals.
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Peverell
Sword Master
Sword Master

Re:

Post by Peverell » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:16 pm

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but in Kelemvor's list of examples of things to be applied for he includes "to be allowed to roleplay a same sex relationship."

What I took from this thread, however, is neatly summed up by Lerytha's statement:
Lerytha wrote:the imms have said conclusively the PG-13 rating is staying and that applications are not required for same-sex relationships.
So... FK version of Prop 8 snuck in under the radar? :wink: Or is it there as an example of something you might want to apply for, but don't actually *have* to...? Just trying to get things clear in my head.
At Home With the Goldfarbs:
http://i39.tinypic.com/28hin4n.jpg