Spells, level, and effect?

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Aesin
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Spells, level, and effect?

Post by Aesin » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:10 am

Well I tried to do a search to find some answers, but with no luck so here's a couple a questions I hope someone can answer.

I noticed with magic missile that as I get better with it, I cast more missiles *YEAH* :)

This got me to thinking- Do all damage spells do more damage as you get better at casting them?

And, what happens to non-damage spells, such as detect magic or armor? Do they improve as you get better casting them? Does the duration they stay on you increase?

Thanks

Aesin
Sairaven
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Sairaven » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:34 am

Many of your damage spells do increase as you level. Magic missile gives you more missiles (1d4+1 damage per missile in the Player's Handbook), while other spells like fireball and lightning bolt and what have you raise the number of dice you throw.

Fireball, for instance, is 1d6 per caster level (max of 10d6, I believe).

Your non-damaging spells, however, tend to see an increase in duration or effectiveness as you level.
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"
~Despair.com
----
Sairaven - Dusk Echo of Helm
Quey - The Broken Blade
Vagan Silversword, Warwizard
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:21 pm

Currently, the "caster level" that you find in the D&D rule (which runs on a scale from 1 up to 20) is replaced with your skill level (which runs on a scale from 1 up to 25).

Though this might change in some part in the future to make your level play a more important role in it.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:14 pm

Non-damage spells such as "detect magic", "fly", and "armor" increase in duration with higher skill levels, yes.
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Aesin
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Aesin » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:49 pm

Thanks all, never did get into DnD, so I'm still learning about all the basics stuff that you guys know. :P