[Event] The Last Petal Masquerade

A place to announce forthcoming events and roleplays, organised by imms or players.
Lathander
Staff
Staff

[Event] The Last Petal Masquerade

Post by Lathander » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:43 pm

Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:45 am

Bleh. I hate to do this kind of thing just two days before it starts but ... here it is.

I think that the main "fun" in this kind of events is had when several people gather. As such, I believe that it does not make much sense to hold a social event over such a long period of time (more then 24 hours in this case), because you might get 2 persons during the first hour, 3 persons the next hours, 1 person the third hour, and so on.

On the contrary, if you hold the event over a period of, say, 5 or 6 hours, and choose this period to start with the European evening and end with the US evening, you will have more people around. Some might not be able to make it but ... what's the point to make it, really, if you are more or less the only one online at that time?

Aside from that consideration, there's also the fact that we authorize some things in areas used for social events that would not be allowed in other areas. for example, you might get fountains of expensive liquid, or infinite supplies of food. Those are better not left "available" for extended periods of time, less we see people go there and fill up their packs with food/drinks/whatever.

Opinions?
Maybel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Maybel » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:55 pm

What about having it both days for only a few hours... Say have one time set up for the Europeans and one time set up for us in the states

Tho it is a bit late to set up a time for the two this close to everything...
R.I.P.
You will never be forgotten..
In memory of Stephanie
and the best damn RPing I have ever had!
Thank you
Mariela
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Mariela » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:16 pm

It's only a few short days until this event.

If there had been a problem with the time on the onset I would have appreciated it noted then, rather than a few days before the event. Especially after this notice has been up since Oct 9th, and in the IM's hands way before then. However, the IMs have the right to cancel, change, shift and morph any event into something of their liking. And I will abide by any and all decisions involving such.

The reason why I requested the times as is, is that many people have many many many alts that never get to participate into events because of the logic of not wanting to "hop" their characters in and out of a scene. The extended time, not only allowed them to have quality time with each alt during the event, but also to conceal who else they might play as they hop through characters.

I also thought that most European time zoned people get screwed by events run by the Americans, so to speak. The larger time frame let it so that way people did not have to get up early, stay up ridiculously late and allow them to attend the function in their own time. It should be a fun event for everyone, rather than something dashed and rushed. It's a party and a grand event and I submitted it as such on purpose.

Thirdly, the dark ages and into the renissance time periods one would have celebrations that lasted weeks and months long for various occasions. A King would get married, and the country would celebrate for half a year, if not a full year. Would it grind everything to a halt? No. And neither was this designed to do that. Carnival both in Italy and Argentia allows for a week celebration. In this light, that is the feeling I wanted. A whimsiness that allowed for rooms to stay empty if no one wanted to be there, or to gather many people when the time zones creep up. With advanced notice as this was given, people could plan their days in the celebrations around their characters, their friend's characters and any other events that run their way.

Fourthly, with the added time, it was not a problem of location in the game. The ball being in Zazzespur, characters might have problems finding the site and so forth. It's an unusual place. The added time would allow for IC revealing of how to get there, what to dress in, and so forth. It would allow one to take their time to get there, and pull characters in that are at the edges of the maps, so to speak rather than ignoring them because they are all the way over in Zhentil Keep and that's a long walk!

The event was not designed neccisarily for mass amount of people being in one room at one time. That sort of situation makes it hard if not impossible to RP. It's designed to celebrate the upcoming Halloween holiday on a weekend in which people could enjoy it through ALL of their characters rather than a large slapped together rush. As someone who has often had to rush home from work and drop everything and turn on the mud to be able to attend an event..... I personally liked the idea of being able to show up during this range of time when it was convienent for me. And with it's design, I can be content roaming through the party by my self and still have fun.

I am very proud of the work that has been done by all of those I have contacted to help with this event from the newest player in game, to the builder and to the IMs. I really hope people do take the time to attend the event and enjoy what was created for them. If no one does, I am still proud of all the work that was put into the event and hope that we can do another again in the future, perhaps in a different city.
Confusion heard his voice, and wild uproar Stood ruled, stood vast infinitude confined;
Till at his second bidding darkness fled, Light shone, and order from disorder sprung.
--John Milton
Solaghar
Staff
Staff

Post by Solaghar » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:55 pm

Just bumping the thread before this starts!
Dapher
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dapher » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:48 pm

This event was a blast. Thank you for holding it!! I think it went very well :)
Lysha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lysha » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:39 am

I have to say that I really enjoyed this event. Thank you so much for hosting it. I'm looking forward to something similar happening inthe future. :-D
Your punch viciously hammers a shark's abdomen.
A shark is stunned, but will probably recover.

http://www.elfonlyinn.net/d/20070925.html
Siria
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Siria » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:24 pm

I wish I would have been able to appear more than once.^^ But after I left I went to bed and I didn't manage to get up again until the event ended (I have been ill).
Caelyvar
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Caelyvar » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:37 pm

I really had fun too. I thought this went really well

I am glad to hear that so many people had fun at this event