Dwarven Racial Bonuses

To share knowledge about the world and links to useful resources.
Aegir
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Aegir » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:20 pm

One potential fix would be to add a piece of code to the magic tag that affects all magic items. In 3E, magic items automatically resize to their wearer.

As for mundane items, I know resize works on them, aside from weapons, so make sure there is a tailor in the start cities of all small races that can resize stuff, that their available items are sized to them, and perhaps develop a way to handle weapons that separates size and handedness, that way they can be resized just like other items.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:21 pm

Like the way 'plain' equipment from the training areas work?

I think that's a great idea and applaud it. It would help with so many of those armors in the future AND past. The only issue I could see is there may be some weapons that the administration does not wish to be wielded by most.. Like the Silverhaft was once too big to wield (although I think it's been changed already). Those, I would think, should instead be made mundane anyhow.
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Aegir
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Aegir » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:01 pm

In cases like that, I suppose a special tag could be created so that they don't resize, which I'm sure is a much shorter list anyway.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:03 pm

Aegir for president!
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:36 am

There is an mp command which can be used to instruct an NPC to resize an object before giving it to a player and I believe can be placed within a wear_prog to effect the same on an item.

A few things to bear in mind, though;

Adding a program to those quest rewarding mobiles would be a sizeable task in and of itself;

It would not fix those items which players already own, only new versions;

Similarly, adding a wear-prog to the items so that they do it themselves would only effect new items and would be an equally sizeable task; and

It would probably be necessary to assess all items and their quests before determining which items could/should be resized and/or resize perpetually afterwards.

In the interests of not creating another back and forth argument about what is or not possible/feasible for builders and coders...

...I would like to stress that I am not saying that any of these facts are reasons to not implement the idea, merely that they need to be taken into consideration.
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:59 pm

With the plain equipment from the starting 'schools/temples' it automatically resizes (as far as I know) upon wear attempt. Are you saying that the code actually forces the removal of the object, gives it to the mobile, resizes it accordingly, then gives it to the player again with only the echo to the player that says '<object> resizes to fit you perfectly.'?
Solaghar
Staff
Staff

Post by Solaghar » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:36 pm

There is an object flag known as flag_resize which makes an object automatically resize, that is how the temple objects work. But what Kelemvor is saying, I believe, is that to add this flag (or any other solution) to every single item which should possibly be resized is a large task which needs to be considered in the discussion.

For all magical objects to automatically resize to the wielder/wearer isn't necessarily a good decision. While it would be a big benefit to smaller races who have a lot of negatives and no benefits, it would make larger races, who do get a lot of stat bonuses and whose negatives come to a degree from their lack of conventional equipment choices, much better, perhaps unbalancing them entirely.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:20 pm

I agree with Solaghar *gasp!*

Plus, we need to wonder: do we want all magical rewards to automatically resize? I'm not so sure.

I agree that it should be possible, and much easier than right now (currently only PCs good at armoursmithing can resize magical items), but that does not mean that it should be free and require no effort.
Sairaven
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Sairaven » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:37 pm

Dalvyn wrote:Plus, we need to wonder: do we want all magical rewards to automatically resize? I'm not so sure.
I could see things like rings, boots, gloves, and cloaks resizing automatically. I remember that in 2E most of them did (don't know the fine points about 3.5E though).
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"
~Despair.com
----
Sairaven - Dusk Echo of Helm
Quey - The Broken Blade
Vagan Silversword, Warwizard
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:13 pm

Wait.. does that mean you're saying that a larger race is undeserving of equipment that fits them?

That makes no sense. Larger races _do_ have penalties (the current ones, anyhow).. Having no _real_ leg protection is a VERY dangerous thing. Infuse that with the fact that your legs will now be more often struck anyhow because of your size, coupled with the fact that if you have no legs you can't flee... you have a decent enough issue.

If you're playing an exotic race, that means that you've spent your kismet that you've amassed by putting your own time into the game. I think that when you make this decision, you're deciding that you will take on a more difficult RP (_and_ harder-to-come-across bardings and the like - depending on your racial choice).

With Aegir's suggestion, there are 'fixes' for magical items that do not want to automatically be resized - a new flag that disables the auto-fit for characters. This could be used for weapons intended specifically for oversized/undersized characters. I think he did a great job of adding that option. This could also be something that players could help with. Kind of like the misweighted objects thread.
Jzexleth
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Jzexleth » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:04 am

Having rediscovered my dwarf, I'm curious... Is anything happening with this?