Amulets of communication

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Ceara
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Ceara » Fri May 11, 2007 11:54 am

Ok time for my two cents I guess..

Personally if I was sending a tell to someone in the same room I would type smote whispers something to x and then send the tell. Though honestly I thought it was like mindspeak so I would try to avoid putting giggling and other sounds into my tells.

I don't think that anybody else should be able to hear what is said through tells or that someone is recieving one, only if they are responding and I had actually thought that maybe something like the whisper thing should be added.

However, the whisper giving out names needs to be fixed, a lot of people use alias's and when greeted with an alias often have difficulty not letting the real name they don't know slip. How much worse will this be when the amulet gives it away?

Could an option be added that if you're not able to answer right away to do something that doesn't tip everyone off if you're hiding? Like touching the amulet just sends a generic message to the sender that they aren't available to respond.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Fri May 11, 2007 5:13 pm

The fact that it displays the name is a hard code bug. It apparently appeared last week, but it's unrelated to the new echo by the amulet. I would guess that this is a bug that is going to be fixed, though I haven't heard anything about when or why this change was made.
Enig
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Enig » Fri May 11, 2007 5:29 pm

While I think it's a neat idea, the possibility of spamming in high-population areas seems like a (minor) stickling point. Anyways, just as a thought, but would it be possible to make a toggle switch to stop seeing the whisper echos? That would seem to preserve the spirit of the change, since the person using their amulet wouldn't be able to control whether people saw it or not, but it would reduce spam for people who don't care to pay attention to it :)
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Fri May 11, 2007 5:39 pm

Such a toggle would indeed be nice to have, but it can't be coded with only area code (it would require hard code).
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Mon May 14, 2007 8:06 pm

Personally I love this idea. In many of the novels by Forgotten Realms standard the ability to send telepathic messages to a person is known as "sending" and artifacts which gave people the ability to give a sending were rare and usually only given to people who needed them. It is also directly associated with presence of the weave for the sending to work. A very very good example of this is in the return of the archmage series where the armies fighting the phaerimm used sendings between generals to tell when to attack and when to execute a specific strategic.. At one point the Shadovar errect a Shadow sphere that blocked the weave from entering and the sendings wouldn't work because it was "dead magic" ..... Doesn't do that in the mud so I think this is a happy medium. Kudos!!
Vibius
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vibius » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:03 pm

I was wondering if it could be possible modify a bit the code related to the amulets of communications so if someone use it and the receiver is in the same room it produces an echo like:

$receiver 's amulet glows red as $sender speaks through his/hers

Although particularly I would like to make impossible communicating through amulets of communication when people are in the same room, so people would have to smote whispering to others, I really don't care about hearing what are they saying.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:12 pm

The current echo uses area code, and area code isn't powerful enough to check whether the target of the tell is in the same room or not.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:24 am

Is the whole matter of amulet echoes something worthy of pushing up to the hard code table? Are there other things having it hard coded would help solve or make possible?
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:37 am

I like the new changes, they are very nice. Just make sure no one here is riding a horse and talking on their amulets at the same time! :D

One thing I would like though would be either:

As someone else suggested, a listen check to give someone a chance to hear tells being sent from and, if possible, to the those around you.

Or:

An area spell cast that would allow you to hear all tells to and, if possible, from the room you are in.

I honestly don't think amulets of communication should be a means of absolute and complete secrecy. Everything should have a check or balance.
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...