Component Wars

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Xerarack
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Xerarack » Sat May 26, 2007 5:08 am

If this is still a problem, another code solution could be to decrease the amount of spell components that one can fit into a spell pouch, thus causing players to have to carry more containers, this might make it harder to hoard to many items at once.
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:22 am

The same problem (out of stock b/c of large amounts of items in the game) has arisen with sand, which has now been "out of stock" for at least 3 rl months.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:33 am

Sand is easily gotten naturally outside of a shop.
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:48 am

Perhaps, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the mud should be constantly out of stock of it. If easy-to-find items can be left out of stock, then it's a mere step from there to saying gnome ears are easy to find, so they should always be out of stock (well, I guess those should be out of stock, but that's not the point :wink: ).
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:01 am

No, what I am saying is, I don't think that the fact that they are out of stock can be fixed. I don't know if the limit can be changed actually. But, even if it is out of stock, it is easy enough to go and get it from nature yourself.
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Mouat
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Mouat » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:47 am

I didn't even know you could buy sand, I've always just searched for it in the wilds.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:30 pm

When in doubt, trade. On several occassions, this old priest sought out other spell users and traded components I had surplus of in exchange for components I lacked. There are many components found outside the shops. At times, some players do not have the time to seek them out. I have often gathered small stocks of these materials to trade to other players for out-of-stock store components I needed. Granted, its not a perfect fix to the lacking of some of the more popular components. Still, better to do something then wait for others to do something. :wink:
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:54 am

Trade is, however, impossible in the case of the hoarding being in storerooms, as is the case with sand (250+ piles stored in various places, with no way to figure out who exactly is hoarding it - or whether that person is even logging on anymore).
Sairaven
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Sairaven » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:04 am

I'm gonna be posting in the next few days, something that you component-seeking folks might find intriguing.
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"
~Despair.com
----
Sairaven - Dusk Echo of Helm
Quey - The Broken Blade
Vagan Silversword, Warwizard
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:42 am

Simple.

Set up a Merchants' Guild organization.

Make it so that it has a "components" department.

Send an application that completely details it out, ask for
- access to special warehouses where you can buy things (like components) at discount prices
- a storeroom or a series of storerooms (similar to dwellings) where you can store goods for sale
- members who can reach into those storerooms to get components and sell them, according to a list of prices you would have set up yourself (no mob to sell the things, only PCs)
- plan to take over all/most of the PC-to-PC trade on FK

(If Kelemvor reads this, I'll deny ever writing this post!)
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:31 am

It's okay Dalvyn, if such an organisation came into being and all those component shops opened up... it wouldnt be me that had to go through all the merchant mobs in the game increasing the limit for those items in game :)

Seriously though, I do think that all components and 'expendable' items (arrows, food, components that are used for trades) should have far greater limits set on their sale.

There should also be far more NPC merchants that buy components as well as selling them.
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:30 pm

Kelemvor wrote:It's okay Dalvyn, if such an organisation came into being and all those component shops opened up... it wouldnt be me that had to go through all the merchant mobs in the game increasing the limit for those items in game :)
Heh. Indeed.
Seriously though, I do think that all components and 'expendable' items (arrows, food, components that are used for trades) should have far greater limits set on their sale.
I'm fine with that. The main problem is that increasing all those reset limits take a lot of time and is not a particularly interesting task. It might eventually gets done though.
There should also be far more NPC merchants that buy components as well as selling them.
Here, I'm not entirely sure I agree with you though. If we set up shops that buy components, we open up the possibility for players to make a lot of coins by, for example, plucking birds repeatedly.

Once again, we would avoid this problem with a Merchants' Guild, since they could auto-regulate prices. They might buy sand at 2 copper each for the first 100 pieces, then drop the price down to 1 copper coin, then stop paying for it eventually for example.
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:14 pm

Dalvyn wrote:Here, I'm not entirely sure I agree with you though. If we set up shops that buy components, we open up the possibility for players to make a lot of coins by, for example, plucking birds repeatedly.
I think I'm right in saying that NPC storekeepers will only buy 5 of an item type before they refuse to buy any more. This would hopefully encourage players to sell the more useful items they gather.
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:26 pm

Ok, that might work then. It might even incite people to use the precision forge to make some coins.
Mariela
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Mariela » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:07 pm

I think it's amazing the differences between characters.

I have one character who's a goody two shoes priestess who can find everything she needs without blinking. Vials of holy water just fall into her lap.

I have an evil priestess who can't hit a spell componet to save her life. And they are simple componets that the other priestess has.

I think a lot of the componet problems stems from WHERE the componets are. Sometimes where the shop is that has them.. is so far and gone from where you need to be it's a pain int he butt. The fact that i have to trek into Waterdeep to get spell componets now and again is such a pain as an evil character.. especially when I am trying to keep myself OUT of Waterdeep and more into the evil proper cities.

Maybe I am missing them.. but I've turned a lot of those cities up side down and it's hard to top Waterdeep for spell componets.. and it's hard to top Zhentil Keep for food.... so maybe it'd be easier if not only we had a guild that bought spell componets from people who DONT need them but end up wtih them.. but also maybe a few more diverse spell componet shops in the cities that are inbetween Zhentil Keep and Waterdeep.

Just a thought.
Confusion heard his voice, and wild uproar Stood ruled, stood vast infinitude confined;
Till at his second bidding darkness fled, Light shone, and order from disorder sprung.
--John Milton
Mouat
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Mouat » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:23 pm

Hi Mariela.

I know of a few people that when they really are desperate to get components they head to evil cities to get it...