Recent Code Changes

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Echet
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Echet » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:54 pm

Dalvyn, your post seems to specifically address magic missile. I assume the same type of changes will be reaching all other spells with variable effects? More specifically, damage and duration will be affected nearly across the board?

Sorry if I seem like I'm asking a redundant question, I'm just trying to clarify this.
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:09 am

Echet, this affects all spells. Dalvyn chose the magic missiles as an example, because it is easier to notice a direct affect (i.e, one missile up to five). The change affects duration, effectiveness, and all the odd affects that make up a spell. :)
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:51 am

Less need to repeatedly cast spells for practice is always welcomed in my eyes. Casting 'resist acid' 10 times and meditating will not be missed. :lol:
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Vibius
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vibius » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:53 am

I can only say that I greatly welcome it.
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:22 am

One thing im curious about, best way to ask would be to ask if these two scenarios are true.

A lvl 50 and a lvl 10 are both GM at a spell. The spell still functions the same for both of them?

A lvl 50s Expert spell would function the same as a lvl 30s GM spell.
(The exact skill level of expert isn't important, I just mean relatively)

Thanks for your help,
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:29 am

To confirm it: yes, this applies to what I called here "spell power" (because I think it's a nice way to see it, technically, it's a bit different). This means that all spells will affected (except perhaps the odd spell that does not really depend on the skill level - e.g., gate or astral walk).
A lvl 50 and a lvl 10 are both GM at a spell. The spell still functions the same for both of them?
One of the principles we used to create the formula is that there should be no reduction in power, only increase. GM remains the best of the best ... so yes, if you are GM in a spell, your level does not matter. Thus, in your example, both the level 50 and the level 10 will cast the spell with the same power.
A lvl 50s Expert spell would function the same as a lvl 30s GM spell.
(The exact skill level of expert isn't important, I just mean relatively)
Yes, this is exact again, though the gap isn't that big. A level 30 GM will cast the spell at the GM level of spell power (because you can't get higher), and a level 50 near-GM will cast the spell at the GM level of spell power (thanks to the raise in power caused by their high level).
Mask
Staff
Staff

Post by Mask » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:17 pm

As of now, the size of an object will affect it's weight. The larger something is the heavier it will be, the smaller it is, the lighter it will be. If you are wearing armour which is too big for you, this would adversely affect your carry weight! It is possible that in the future you will not be able to wear armour which isn't the same size as you at all, rather than merely incurring an armour penalty for this.

Additionally, we now have a decimal point in carry weight, which allows us to have items which weigh less than 1lb.

If you find something which you believe has a weight which is either too high or too low, please post it to this thread so we can look at it:

http://www.gallwey.com/fk/board/viewtopic.php?t=7524
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:13 pm

Mmmm, decimal point. I love this! Thank you very much for this change, Mask (and anyone else that helped?).
Mask wrote:As of now, the size of an object will affect it's weight. The larger something is the heavier it will be, the smaller it is, the lighter it will be.
I do very much like that size will now affect weight, too. My poor little halfling will be THRILLED to see this.
Mask wrote:Additionally, we now have a decimal point in carry weight, which allows us to have items which weigh less than 1lb.
I think this will help with a good many misweighted objects, too. I think this is a very nice change that will help the MUD as a whole.
Mask wrote:If you are wearing armour which is too big for you, this would adversely affect your carry weight! It is possible that in the future you will not be able to wear armour which isn't the same size as you at all, rather than merely incurring an armour penalty for this.
Could this be explained, please? Does this mean that if I wear armor that is too big for my halfling that I will have even less carry weight than my strength allows? Or does it mean I just take a hit on my AC possibly because of the weight differential?

Also, in some ways I like that armor larger than one should be able to wear will be made so it cannot be worn by those of the correct size. One thing I fear, though, is this will widen the gap and increase the difficulty for those of smaller size such as Goblins or Halflings.

Is there going to be more ways to resize magical arms and armor in the future to counter-balance this?
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:22 pm

Also, the correct thread for misweighted objects is:
http://www.gallwey.com/fk/board/viewtopic.php?t=7209
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:40 pm

Selveem wrote:
Mask wrote:If you are wearing armour which is too big for you, this would adversely affect your carry weight! It is possible that in the future you will not be able to wear armour which isn't the same size as you at all, rather than merely incurring an armour penalty for this.
Could this be explained, please? Does this mean that if I wear armor that is too big for my halfling that I will have even less carry weight than my strength allows? Or does it mean I just take a hit on my AC possibly because of the weight differential?
As you have noticed, up to now, the weight of an object didn't change when it was resized, so if you had a medium breastplate, for example and were wearing it on your halfling, you are paying the penalty in your carry weight. Now, if you resize it, it will weight half the weight it did, suddenly, your carry weight looks a lot better. :)

As far as the AC penalty, presently, you can wear a piece of armor that is up to one size too big or small, and you pay a penalty to the protection of it (AND it damages easier). What I believe Mask is saying, is that he is going to change it during the combat retool, to where like in D20, you cannot wear the armor at ALL if it isn't the right size for you. Think of it this way... a human trying to squeeze into armor for a halfling, or an ogre ... it's not going to work at all, forget AC penalties. So it will require resizing to make the wearable, which would really be desireable anyway, if you are a small PC and you want to carry more.

As far as resizing for magical arms and armor, that is something that the imm staff is trying to address, and builders as well.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:10 pm

- Complete overhaul of the armour/to hit system
- Sneak attacks, (Improved) Uncanny Dodge
- New 'defence' command
- Several other modifications not detailed here
- Switching to FK 4.0

See this thread for more details.
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:14 am

this morning when the code update came in.. Just as an asside.... I should NOT complain about this but just to make a notation of it. Was Checking Nedylene's carry weight.. was 151.1 a full one hundred and 20 pounds lighter then before the update this morning. Was wondering if I lost thing nope everything accounted for. So went and examined my items.... girth weighed 92, armour weighed 53, spellbook weighed 20...... Very wonky weights and nothing was adding up correctly to overall carry weight. I have not ch ecked it since 11:45 am this morning though.
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:48 am

Because another mod to the system was to change weights to support .1 pound. Before, your items had to weight at least one pound, so things in your person like some components, jewelry, gems, etc all were weighing you down.

Now, most of those weight about 1/10th of what they used to. It's a GOOD thing :)
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:48 pm

The last update was to fix weight modifiers for material. Please check whether you have the same problem as Nedylene and post in the Bug Reporting thread if you have.
Mask
Staff
Staff

Post by Mask » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:18 pm

As of today, multiple magical stat bonus affects will not stack - only the highest of all of them will take affect. This frees up builders to create more powerful magical items without worrying about the 'stacking' of multiple stat bonuses all together.

Circle and backstab have been changed to 'automatic' skills - if you are a thief with either skill you will automatically attempt to use them when there is a suitable opportunity in combat.

A number of large scale changes have been made to the 'infrastructure' of the code base with the aim of increasing stability and reducing down time due to crashes. In the short term though, such a large amount of change will no doubt introduce some bugs. If you spot anything strange or peculiar, please post it to the Bug Reporting forum.

Thanks!
Hrosskell
Staff
Staff

Post by Hrosskell » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:28 pm

Just a quick question about that - are all the old +stat items still left at +1, or were there changes to items made with this new implementation of non-stacking stat items? Also, if not, are there plans to update the old ones, or is that reserved for new quests only?
Jamais arriere.
Tobias
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Tobias » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:42 pm

Mask wrote:
Circle and backstab have been changed to 'automatic' skills - if you are a thief with either skill you will automatically attempt to use them when there is a suitable opportunity in combat.

A question about circle /backstab. Is it going to work as sneak attack as it has been or will it just automatically trigger with the old echo's and way? I fought a mob and was circle stabbing quite often on my own rather than sneak attacking with a partner which i could flank with.
I am but a tree te da lee lee
Mask
Staff
Staff

Post by Mask » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:36 pm

Code upgrades:

Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:36 am

Hrosskell wrote:Just a quick question about that - are all the old +stat items still left at +1, or were there changes to items made with this new implementation of non-stacking stat items? Also, if not, are there plans to update the old ones, or is that reserved for new quests only?
As Dalvyn has stated in a separate post, I believe it was in the combat thread re: stacking bonuses. With this change, the building staff will go through areas and eventually adjust SOME of the rewards that were previously built at +2 max simply because of the previous code stacking the bonuses. (read: this means items that came from quests worthy of higher bonus items. I doubt some things like a +1 stat ring you get for a certain fetching quest will go up at all, those are intended to be items even lowbies can earn.) There IS no guarantee or promise of a time frame, only that it will happen.

Also, to clarify, because in another thread I think there was a misconception: in D20, bonuses to the SAME stat will not stack. In other words, you can have gloves of dexterity +2, a belt of giant strength +4, and a hatband of wisdom +1, and they all apply to their separate stats. Only if you try to wear another +STR item, for example, will you not get the benefit of one +STR item or the other.

Now maybe we can get that belt of giant strength put in somewhere...

Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Recent Code Changes

Post by Japcil » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:07 pm

A recent change that seems to have come in was that all paladin/rangers, priests, and wizards all "chant" now.