Reviewing organisations: Whats in it for me?

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Hrosskell
Staff
Staff

Post by Hrosskell » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:01 pm

I've always wondered, as a person who plays a thief who is evil, and who has been approached by the few active Zhentarim to do spywork, why the Shadow Thieves is inactive. I understand the founder isn't at work very much anymore, so there is no recruitment - but how do you express interest in joining? I've also faced the question of whether there is incentive in joining an organisation at all; supposedly there would be roleplay and interaction, but there are no opposing or allied members. Also, it's too hard to decide whether or not to join just one organisation, especially if you have more than one long-term roleplayed character, with one or more of those being on different sides of the coin from your original character. What are the benefits, if I can ask, to joining? Would there be imm-held roleplays for these organisations, if interest flared back up? Would there be -any- roleplay? And more materialistically speaking, would there be quests? Lessons? Distinguishing gear? It just seems like there's not much of a point - not to take away from the fact that I am -very- interested in helping start the Shadow Thieves back up. If there are any suggestions to any of the questions or ideas posted here, I would love the feedback.
Jamais arriere.
Vibius
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vibius » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:39 pm

As I see it and this is just my personal opinion, organizations beside quests
and equipment offer something priceless to the enterprising player, a solid background which can be used to further the develop of your character's RP and the chance of bring together like-minded characters.

Once you have a group of players all of them interested in the same thing, you can start plotting to advance the agenda of your organization and if advancing the agenda of your organization involves RP with players which don't belong to the organization, I think that a inm will be likely to assist you in any RPs that you had in mind.
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:11 pm

I'm moving Hrosskell's post to this new thread as I want to keep the organisation threads focused specifically on the organisation itself.

Please do all contribute to this one though as he raises a valid question - why a player should put valuable playing time into an organisation
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Aegir
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Aegir » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:44 pm

Orgs in FK are likely best compared to clans on other games, and in clans, the the main benefit is community. Like-minded players who can assist eachother in training (be it leveling or finding trainers), grouping for difficult quests, things of that nature. Naturally, this aspect depends greatly on the other players and whether they wish to assist in these ways.

Beyond that, it'll depend greatly on the org in question. Some lend themselves to things that can be done by most anyone, and at any time (such as Harper/Zhent spy activities, keeping track of active members, etc), but what this is used for also depends on the orgs leadership base.

Its hard to say in general terms, because what an org does and doesn't provide depends alot on things that vary from one to another. Things like their goals, what sort of resources they have available (useful areas in game, for example), and active PCs willing to add to the org through RP, building, whatever.
Kirkus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kirkus » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:02 am

Since its been about a week now with no update, just thought I would ask... has anything been decided about any of the organizations?
I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:24 am

Please try to keep up at the back there ;)

http://www.gallwey.com/fk/board/viewtopic.php?t=7501

I posted this last week and will hopefully be putting the recommendations together today some time. Work permitting
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.