Magical Sensors - Arcane eye, Clairvoyance

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Zynarc
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Magical Sensors - Arcane eye, Clairvoyance

Post by Zynarc » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:25 pm

I sort of think this was discussed before but I cannot seem to find the thread to it.

I have debated it with myself quite a few times whether or not to use the information gained by 'watching' people speak while on clairvoyance / arcane eye. With how those spells are currently, the player will be able to see the words that people are speaking.

Now my question is this: should we be using information gathered from what these people are SAYing? Or should such magical sensors be mainly be used for LOOKing?
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:55 pm

I think you psychically inhabit the sensor, so you can hear as well as see. :) At least that's what my wizard's been doing for centuries.
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Larethiel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Larethiel » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:57 pm

I believe looking up the spells in question's a good idea cause from D&D, I think, not all of them let you hear what's being spoken?
Weit in der Champagne im Mittsommergrün,
dort, wo zwischen Grabkreuzen Mohnblumen blühn,
da flüstern die Gräser und wiegen sich leicht
im Wind, der sanft über das Gräberfeld streicht.
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:01 pm

If it turns out we can't hear through them... I'm sure there'll be a new generation of speech therapist wizards, who can lip-read. ;)

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Aegir
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Aegir » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:03 pm

Going by the strict wording of d20, Arcane Eye is described as:
You create an invisible magical sensor that sends you visual information.
So, the d20 version would not give you the ability to hear through it. Clairvoyance on the other hand...
Clairaudience/clairvoyance creates an invisible magical sensor at a specific location that enables you to hear or see (your choice) almost as if you were there.
So, this one would likely require a ruling by someone beyond me, but the d20 version lets you hear or see through it, not both.
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:41 am

Here would be where the written world fails in the exact representation of a spell. Since the words make up both the actions and the spoken word, how do we distinguish? If we shut off the text, then you can't hear the words OR see the actions, so, not sure how the best way to rule is.

Ironically, the spell we have that just sends a snapshot of the room your target is in (magic mirror, treated as the d20 scrying for levels), is the ONE spell where you should be able to both see and hear the person you're spying on.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Aegir
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Aegir » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:59 am

Kregor wrote:Ironically, the spell we have that just sends a snapshot of the room your target is in (magic mirror, treated as the d20 scrying for levels), is the ONE spell where you should be able to both see and hear the person you're spying on.
Then maybe we shouldn't be discussing whether or not these spells work as they should, but instead alter how they work on the MUD to more accurately represent it?

For example, a change to magic mirror that makes it function as it does now (need to scry a specific target), but insteads creates a scrying sensor in that room which lasts for however long and allows the wizard to listen. Changing Arcane Eye would be a bit more complicated, but, heres an idea:

Say you were to leave it as-is, but make it so the Arcane Eye (and thus the wizard seeing through it) doesn't understand any language. They'd see the actions of emotes, see that talking is being done, but it'd come out like Sim-speak (for those of you familiar with "The Sims").
Zynarc
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Zynarc » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:19 am

I have always enjoyed the information gained from using Arcane eye / clairvoyance from -listening- in to what people are speaking, but I have never used that information IC before, though I do wish some times that I can use that information IC...

I actually think that it's good that we veer from D20 slightly, giving arcane eye a 'hearing' ability as well, considering it is a level 8 spell compared to clairvoyance - level 3, and magic mirror - level 4.
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:40 pm

I think in FK it can be used differently, to be fair. I've always used information gained from arcane eye and will continue to use it. Because it is a level 8 spell on the MUD where the corresponding spell in D&D is a lot lower in spell ranking (as I remember). Basically, the MUD system makes arcane eye a lot more powerful than it normally would be.

Hence the level 8 slot. :)

--Sir Winston Churchill

-- Hoildric

Melusine
Staff
Staff

Post by Melusine » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:14 pm

Personally, I've always enjoyed the spells as they are. I've never gotten my hands on Arcane Eye... But it seems to follow that it should be something that would allow you to hear as well. Especially if it is higher leveled than the other spying sorts of spells. That's my two coppers, anyway.
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:29 am

Actually, I do believe that Arcane Eye might have been upped in level during the spell upgrade because of the fact it also has sound. So this may not be an issue, Clairvoyance, I believe, is at book level though.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:37 am

It would be great if the helpfiles clearly stated the outcome of this discussion (um, I'm still confused, personally), with OOC mention that game mechanics require that words be transmitted but the PC should be played as if they were not seen, if a given spell is non-auditory.

I'm happy to make the helpfile edits, if someone can lay down the law as to what these spells do and do not do! :D
Zuldere
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Zuldere » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:34 pm

Lets keep in mind that magical eye can be seen if one has true sight on and can dispel or destroy it easily unlike the other two.