[SPELL] True Sight.

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Vibius
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

[SPELL] True Sight.

Post by Vibius » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:35 pm

I was wondering if True sight could be modified so while affected by it you could notice those who are polymorphed by adding a (Polymorphed) tag before their names/adjectives, the PnP version of this spell allows to see you the real form, but I think that just telling you that the one who is before you is polymorphed is nice enough.
Moloch
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Moloch » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:14 pm

I think the version of True Sight that is already currently in the game is quite powerful. Being able to see all hidden and invisible objects/exits is plenty. Why should you be able to see that someone has taken another form as well?
"My pain is constant and sharp, and I do not hope for a better world. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to survive."
Aegir
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Aegir » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:02 pm

in d20 it does just that, letting you see through someones polymorphed state.
Moloch
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Moloch » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:04 pm

I find that it could be very unbalancing, since True Sight is so easily casted by so many. What would be the point of the polymorph spell?

Detect Magic is more than capable of detecting any magical enchantments on a person, why not actually -work- for something?
Last edited by Moloch on Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My pain is constant and sharp, and I do not hope for a better world. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to survive."
Vibius
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vibius » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:09 pm

True sight is the spell that reveals things as really are and in PnP allows to see the true image of whom is polymorphed, telling that the one who is before you is polymorphed without revealing his identity is a nice compromise.

It could be considered that it is powerful but does what is expected of a spell that shares list in level with Shadow walk, Monster Summon or Disintegrate, all of them are fairly powerful in their respective areas.
Last edited by Vibius on Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aegir
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Aegir » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:09 pm

In a game like this, having True Sight be as powerful as it is in d20 would prolly be over-the-top. All I said is that that is how it is in d20.
Moloch
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Moloch » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:11 pm

Right, but those spells also only have one affect each. Not several stacked into one easily castable, cheap spell.
Tandria
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tandria » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:11 pm

I don't really see where that would be unbalancing. It it doesn't tell you who the person is, or how they actually look, what is the problem with that? I think it's actually a really good idea . . . why wouldn't someone be able to notive that you're polymorphed under the spell?
"May your travels be Wonderful and Mysterious."
Moloch
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Moloch » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:14 pm

Because of the reasons I stated above. Allowing one to see all invisible/hidden persons and exits as well as all polymorphed beings..The spell is very cheap and easy to cast. I do not think it should be so powerful.
Aegir
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Aegir » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:15 pm

Detect magic does that (or, I assume it does, showing if there are enchantments in place). In d20, True Sight lets you see completely through a polymorph and see exactly who it is.
Moloch
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Moloch » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:15 pm

Right, on Forgotten Kingdoms we have detect magic which allows one to see that the person is enchanted magically. Why add more affects to another spell when this one does it perfectly?
Tobias
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Tobias » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:16 pm

True Seeing
Divination
Level: Clr 5, Drd 7, Knowledge 5, Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

You confer on the subject the ability to see all things as they actually are. The subject sees through normal and magical darkness, notices secret doors hidden by magic, sees the exact locations of creatures or objects under blur or displacement effects, sees invisible creatures or objects normally, sees through illusions, and sees the true form of polymorphed, changed, or transmuted things. Further, the subject can focus its vision to see into the Ethereal Plane (but not into extradimensional spaces). The range of true seeing conferred is 120 feet.

True seeing, however, does not penetrate solid objects. It in no way confers X-ray vision or its equivalent. It does not negate concealment, including that caused by fog and the like. True seeing does not help the viewer see through mundane disguises, spot creatures who are simply hiding, or notice secret doors hidden by mundane means. In addition, the spell effects cannot be further enhanced with known magic, so one cannot use true seeing through a crystal ball or in conjunction with clairaudience/clairvoyance.

This is taken from d20srd.org I am 99% sure this is true sight with it's 3.5 name. If they changed it to see polymorph then it would have to be altered to not see hidden people. I dunno if it see's through disguises in it's current form but if it did that then it would also have to be redone to not that as well.
I am but a tree te da lee lee
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:25 pm

Basically, for now, leaving seeing hidden people on true sight is the balance against the fact that hide, as a skill, is FAR overpowered in FK as compared to D&D.

in D&D ANYone with a high enough WIS and good Spot skill would be able to find a hidden person. As it is, too many people treat it like invisibility on FK, when it's not. And since so many use it like invis, then seems fair that True Sight on FK sees them like they were.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Larethiel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Larethiel » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:31 pm

So...True sight goes through things, too? Like ranger A hides behind a tree/bushes/rocks/gnomes etc. and the guy B with true sight can see through the wood/whatever? I know hidden people are detected via true sight but never really looked into the mechanics.
Weit in der Champagne im Mittsommergrün,
dort, wo zwischen Grabkreuzen Mohnblumen blühn,
da flüstern die Gräser und wiegen sich leicht
im Wind, der sanft über das Gräberfeld streicht.
Tobias
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Tobias » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:33 pm

That's why thier is a detect hidden spell. So why have a spell like true sight that cannot see mundanely hidden things with it? All it costs is components and a new spell slot.
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:39 pm

Tandria wrote:I don't really see where that would be unbalancing. It it doesn't tell you who the person is, or how they actually look, what is the problem with that? I think it's actually a really good idea . . . why wouldn't someone be able to notive that you're polymorphed under the spell?

And what if you have polymorphed through a skill or because you are a coded lycanthrope. How would one be able to balance the spell of True Sight to only detect those under POLYMORPH and not the other shapechanging abilities? Technically the druid's ability is not a spell and the lycanthrope's ability is not a spell.
Vibius
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vibius » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:00 pm

Nedylene wrote: And what if you have polymorphed through a skill or because you are a coded lycanthrope. How would one be able to balance the spell of True Sight to only detect those under POLYMORPH and not the other shapechanging abilities? Technically the druid's ability is not a spell and the lycanthrope's ability is not a spell.
It is clearly stated that true seeing allows to see the true form.

Alternate Form

A creature with this special quality has the ability to assume one or more specific alternate forms. A true seeing spell or ability reveals the creature’s natural form. A creature using alternate form reverts to its natural form when killed, but separated body parts retain their shape. A creature cannot use alternate form to take the form of a creature with a template.

True sight is the spell that is used when someone wants to see through magic of any sorts be it a spell or a supernatural ability.
Moloch
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Moloch » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:02 pm

Then I suggest if you wish to make the spell more powerful, that it be made more expensive to cast. I would not mind the change so much then.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:37 pm

I'm not really certain what the big deal is with this spell..
So what if the person ICly knows that you're polymorphed? Bluff, lie, blackmail, whatever. It's not like the character may not suspect that you are not what you seem anyhow.

True sight cannot be left on permanently by wizards. Why not just bump it up a spell level for clerics, then? So they can't either.

I don't know - I just don't see the big deal, I suppose.
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Tobias
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Tobias » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:48 pm

I think the spell components in the core books say true sight is pretty expensive casting.