Chill Touch

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Echet
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Chill Touch

Post by Echet » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:56 am

Chill Touch
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Targets: Creature or creatures touched (up to one/level)
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial or Will negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

A touch from your hand, which glows with blue energy, disrupts the life force of living creatures. Each touch channels negative energy that deals 1d6 points of damage. The touched creature also takes 1 point of Strength damage unless it makes a successful Fortitude saving throw. You can use this melee touch attack up to one time per level.

An undead creature you touch takes no damage of either sort, but it must make a successful Will saving throw or flee as if panicked for 1d4 rounds +1 round per caster level.
I'm not sure how difficult it would be, but could chill touch be made so that it affects undead with the same kind of fear the SRD says it does?
Hviti
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Hviti » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:51 am

Actually, the helpfile for chill touch says that it causes fear in those who do no t save, but I've never seen it actually display this effect.
Echet
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Echet » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:42 pm

Yes, the helpfile does state so, but I have not ever seen this effect take place. For that matter, I have never been able to hit an undead with it.
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:31 am

Aren't saves still being worked on? Is it a possibility that the spell DOES do this but is not functioning because saves haven't been fully finished?
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:46 am

Saves are being worked on, but I don't believe anything has been implemented on the actual main port yet. Others can correct me if I'm wrong. That said, with saves being worked on, hopefully this will be fixed as part of the overall revamp of the spell save system.