Wild Elves

To share knowledge about the world and links to useful resources.
Aetrevan
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Wild Elves

Post by Aetrevan » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:11 am

I've been trying desperately to research Wild Elves, but can only find minimal resources on them. Might anyone know of any good resources for this elusive race?
Larethiel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Larethiel » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:25 am

Do you have a certain field of interest like history of the wild elves or do you seek general information? I'd be quite happy to help you with what I know. :)
Weit in der Champagne im Mittsommergrün,
dort, wo zwischen Grabkreuzen Mohnblumen blühn,
da flüstern die Gräser und wiegen sich leicht
im Wind, der sanft über das Gräberfeld streicht.
Aetrevan
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Aetrevan » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:09 am

Well both really. I'm loving my new Wild Elf, but I just want some solid information on the race so I can RP him accurately.
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:21 am

I have a TON of information though most of it is source books. I would be happy to type it up and e-mail you or even just answer questions about it as well.
Aetrevan
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Aetrevan » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:43 am

Oh my, that would be amazing! Well just some questions I have:

-I know Wild Elves are primitive/savage, but just how intelligent should they be? Are we talking cave-man or are we talking cultures such as Native Americans and the such?

-And what about speech? Do they fluently speak elven as any other Elf would or is it broken/child-like?

-I can understand how they would regard other non-elven races, but are they wary of other Elven races as well? Exactly how reclusive are they?

-Of course I wish information on their history. Such as how did they become so disbanded? Or why did they not adapt as the other Elven races did?

-And how do they act, culturally, with each other? Customs? Courtesies? And as for the Seldarine, do they worship many deities as early native cultures would or do they devote (more or less) to one deity?

That is all I can think of at the moment. Anything you may be able to help me with would be greatly appreciated.
Larethiel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Larethiel » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:49 am

They did adapt to their needs, the wild elves were among those elves that developed the elven High Magic, they were a highly developed culture before the Crown Wars but became the savages they are now due to many reasons. Lost Empires of Faerun details the Crown Wars very nicely :)

As for the Seldarine, they worship all of them and mostly acknowledge Corellon as the father of elves and leader of the Seldarine but tend to venerate the more "savage" Seladrine like Rillifane Rallathil, Solonor Thelandira, Fenmarel Mestarine and Erevan Ilesere. Next to the Seldarine they sometimes worship totem spirits like wolf, bear, eagle etc. which were mostly assimilated by the Seldarine that came to Yuirwood.
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:07 am

Aetrevan wrote:-I know Wild Elves are primitive/savage, but just how intelligent should they be? Are we talking cave-man or are we talking cultures such as Native Americans and the such?
They are cultured more like native americans are though. They do believe in gods and often have a wide variety of druids and rangers in their ranks and are PRIMARILY druids and rangers though they do have all other classes. As Lare noted above magic is as important to them as the other elves and they do have mages

They are known amung their kind as Sy-Tel'Quessir. They are violent and warlike however how they treat outsiders varies. Some hide and let "tresspassers" go along their metty way, some will attack and capture interlopers, however they RARELY kill captives. Instead they magically alter memories and release them somewhere far away.

Something unique to them (which is also where native american outlook is a good reference) is that they commune to spirit of nature (considered a patheon by FK standards). Each nature spirit is represented by an animal and wild elves will often have a totem and a spirit quest similar to the way native americans do
-And what about speech? Do they fluently speak elven as any other Elf would or is it broken/child-like?
They fluently speak elven and often fluently speak sylvan as the only outsider race they are somewhat friendly to are the centaurs (the friendliness to outsiders varies from tribe to tribe)
-I can understand how they would regard other non-elven races, but are they wary of other Elven races as well? Exactly how reclusive are they?
This I am going to take straight from the elves of evermeet source book

"Green elves throughout Faerun show similar attitudes. The Sy-Tel'Quessir have endured many outrages at the hands of humans and other non-elves. Their forests have been felled or burned, their homes and campsites sacked, their people killed or enslaved. Coupled with a natural isolationist tendency, this terrible history makes the Green Elves intensly suspicious of outsiders, especially humans.

Several bands of Green elves remain on Faerun, preferring to defens their traditional forest homelands rather than retreat th Evermeet. Even those Sy-Tel'Quessir who followed the retreat remain distant and seperate from thier Gold and Silver relatives, joining them only at festivals, or for the mutual defense of the realm. (later on in the same section there is also a nice narative about a Sha'Quessir human and what the tribe put him through to be treated right"
-Of course I wish information on their history. Such as how did they become so disbanded? Or why did they not adapt as the other Elven races did?
This is more complex. It is ALOT of their nature as to why they did not adapt quite as well and the rest is intermingled with the elven history as a whole. Give me some time and I will pull out all of the wild elf events

-And how do they act, culturally, with each other? Customs? Courtesies? And as for the Seldarine, do they worship many deities as early native cultures would or do they devote (more or less) to one deity?
Again going to take this direct from the source book

"Although they are grim and hostile around outsiders, within the tribe Green Elves are pleasant and outgoins in a manner reminiscent of the Gold elves. Their feasts are events of great joy, with singing, dancing, and all manner of merry making. Hunts are tribal affairs in which all elves, including the very young and old, have a part. They take great care to assist those who need it during the hunt, so all will feel a part of their successes. Religious ceremonies involve exuberant songs and hearty prayers to the gods. On important festival days, such as Springrite and Fallrite, Green elves invite neighboring Silver of Gold elves and sylvan creatures to participate. Such celebrations can last for days and involve great revelry and uninhibited behavior. My experience at Faerieluck involved a celebration that left me battered and bruised (but happy) for several days thereafter.

Green elf society varies considerably, with many different customs practiced. In general Green elf bands are tribal groupings, traveling through the forests and making camp in a traditional nomadic fasion. Some tribes are sedentary, living in permenant villages, with wood or thatch huts surrounding a common area in the center. Sexes are often segregated in Green elf villages, with seperate men's and women's lodges for special ceremonies and invocations. Some tribes are exclusively matriarchal, others are patriarchal, and still others call for shared responsability between the elves."

nother part of the same section ..

"Music and art remain in a tribal state as well. The green elves create few permenant works of art, but sometimes fashion brooches, torcs, armbands and magical amulets that are carried by warriors and hunters. Songs take the form of rhythmic chants accompanied by drums, flutes, and other instruments. Modern instruments such as the harp and shalaquin are slowly gaining acceptance among the Green elves of Evermeet.

As noted, body decoration is common among the green elves. The art of tattooing with the aid of a sharp needle of wood or bone is also well-developed, and carries considerable mystical significance. Tattoos often represent an individuals own personal spirit-animal. More influential creatures, such as the eagle, bear and salmon bring considerable respect from other Green elves."

This last link is also a small guide to certain key points of all elven subraces but has some nice tips of wild elves.

http://realmscape.mortality.net/Chondal ... essir.html

Hope that helped you get started
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:54 pm

Most of what I could have said has been said, but there are a few interesting points that can be made.

Firstly, there is a distinct difference between wood elves, and wild elves. It is a difference that in different editions of Forgotten Realms has either been ignored, or only subtly played upon. So basically, most people will see wild elves as the same as wood elves, but in essence they are not. Not that important a piece of information, but interesting nonetheless.

Secondly, despite their name as "wild elves", they are not savages. What I always think of, when reading about wild elves, is that the "wild" is not that important. The important thing is "elves". Elves are the most advanced (in some respects) culture in Faerun. The oldest civilisation (apart from dragons and maybe orcs). So, even though wild elves are barbaric when compared to the culture of the sun elves and most moon elves, when compared to many humans their culture is actually highly advanced.

Thirdly, in terms of language. They speak just as fluently and wonderfully as all elves do, but most won't have learned that many languages.

Fourthly, and this is a generic point about the elven subraces. Everything that is said is a guide. The elves are a broad race, with broad beliefs. Some moon elves can be like sun elves, some sun elves become more like wood elves. Wild elves can be savage and completely reverted to nature (but then the question "why" needs to be asked), some are far more civilised (again, "why"). The "stereotypical" wild elf lies somewhere in between.

:) As for specifics, Larethiel and Nedylene got all that pretty much covered.

~Ol
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:17 pm

...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Keltorn
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Keltorn » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:50 pm

Kelemvor wrote:Races of the Wild source book
http://www.theisleofkev.com/files/eberr ... 20Wild.pdf
Nothing on wild elves in that book. Can you believe it? :shock: Lots of stuff on elves in genral, so it's still nice to read.

It might help you to know that wild elves are also known as grugach. Try Googling that a bit. I've found plenty on them, but a lot of it was from different campaign settings, so it might contradict the Forgotten Realms stuff sometimes.

I've been having tons of fun with my wild elf. In our D&D campaign world, I've basically been able to do what R. A. Salvatore did for the drow of Forgotten Realms. I love it. :D
Larethiel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Larethiel » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:03 pm

It's a general sourcebook about the usual d&d elf without a campaign setting.
Aetrevan
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Aetrevan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:24 am

Wow, thank you guys, so very much. It has all been a great help. And thank you for the speedy replies :D
Aetrevan
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Aetrevan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:05 am

Might anyone know a resource I could use for elven totems?
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:15 am

I have a VERY large file I am turning into books for the game that I can send over an email. It is compiled from about 10 different web sites, two books and one real life native american shaman.
Solaghar
Staff
Staff

Post by Solaghar » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:19 am

Solaghar
Staff
Staff

Post by Solaghar » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:09 pm

Upon request...