Skill Modifiers

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Taerom
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Skill Modifiers

Post by Taerom » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:11 pm

So, with all the changes being made to the combat system lately, I figured it might be a good time to get one of my oldest questions answered. When one looks at their skills or weapons, one sees something like

Code: Select all

dual wield     (Dex,Lck)       expert
Now, it is my understanding that based on this, one can assume that one's dexterity and luck affect the potential success or failure of dual wield. How exactly do these skill modifiers work?
Kelemvor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kelemvor » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:36 pm

Not telling... :P

But seriously, short of posting the exact formula here those calculations are hard to explain except in the general terms that the above suggests already.

You can Dual Wield, the chance of successfully making a strike with that dualed weapon depends on your level of skill in Dual Wield and is affected by your dexterity and luck scores.

Being a lucky character who has Grandmaster'd Dual Wield and is blessed with a high dexterity will mean that that chance is higher than the norm.

Truthfully, I'm not even 100% certain that the new combat code makes such explicit use of these stats as previously.
...never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee.
Taerom
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Taerom » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:53 am

That was sort of my question -- this aspect of the combat code feels very antiquated to me and I wasn't sure if it was even still implemented. The only reason I really asked was that I was pretty sure that some of the modifiers had changed.
Rawlys
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Rawlys » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:49 am

As a side note to all this: Thank you to the 'problem fixers' with getting the bugs figured out and corrected. The skills that were suppose to be Str based but were Luck based are now switched back over. Whether that makes much of a difference or not with my characters, it still makes me feel better about it :P Thanks again!
You may believe in luck and misfortune, but you are not governed by them - Learaso of Westgate