Weddings

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Waukeen
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Weddings

Post by Waukeen » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:32 am

I think weddings is due for a bit of an overhaul. Those applications haven't been processed lately and as far as the staff is concerned, there is no reason why weddings need to have OOC approval before they can go through. Before the area is updated and changes are brought in, I thought it would be a good idea to make this a discussion to get feedback. Without further ado, here are the current propositions for weddings.

- Scrap the application process and handfasting.

- Keep fees in, but reduce them drastically. No frills will only have to cost 5 platinum, simple weddings will be 10 platinum, small weddings will be 15, medium weddings 20 and deluxe weddings 25. The fees will be given to the wedding registrar mobs in-game, and a qbit will be placed on the person in question. The PC will also receive an item: "a wedding certificate". The qbit can only be removed if the PC applies for a divorce, as the PC will need a wedding certificate every time they want to be married. As such, divorces still will have to be applied for.

- Remove the prog preventing people from buying things at the bridal shop. This way, people can get wedding supplies whenever they like.

- Remove the tour tokens entirely. They will not be removed from the area, but removed from use.

- Create a policy that priests who are asked to marry two PCs must have the wedding certificate item in order to do so. This is just so that things don't get ridiculous and we don't get all kinds of polygamy going on. Polygamy should likely be applied for, as it would be a special circumstance and uncommon.

- People who wish to be married need no permission, but the particularly faithful or unsure of their faith's wishes should ask permission from their respective faith managers to do so. There is no problem, however, with two people being wed in secret/eloping if they want to, provided they're not ridiculous faith enemies, like a Tymoran eloping with a Beshaban. If you're going to elope in secret like that, better be ready to hide it well!

- Add the option of allowing people to get renamed wedding rings/bands for 5 glory per ring.

If you have
The Mercantile Trade is the best road to enrichment.
Sairaven
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Sairaven » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:35 am

I like the ideas, Waukeen.

PC priests would be able to marry other people, under your program? I want to ask, since you hinted at that toward the bottom.
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"
~Despair.com
----
Sairaven - Dusk Echo of Helm
Quey - The Broken Blade
Vagan Silversword, Warwizard
Levine
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Weddings

Post by Levine » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:17 pm

Waukeen wrote:Remove the prog preventing people from buying things at the bridal shop. This way, people can get wedding supplies whenever they like.
I think that everything sounds good, but I don't quite agree with this one. Many a time I find myself longing to get the items sold at the bridal shop, and I feel that they should only be allowed to those who are getting married only, since they are so special.

I would like to propose having a wider range of clothings at the shop, however. I would not mind doing it, but I have about only one day a week that is kiiind of completely free. If you require my services, just send me an email/PM. Another option would be allowing a maximum of two special renames for the wedding attire costng glory or platinum.

-gissy :D
Must I kill them
To make them lie still
Waukeen
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Weddings

Post by Waukeen » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:35 pm

Levine wrote:
Waukeen wrote:Remove the prog preventing people from buying things at the bridal shop. This way, people can get wedding supplies whenever they like.
I think that everything sounds good, but I don't quite agree with this one. Many a time I find myself longing to get the items sold at the bridal shop, and I feel that they should only be allowed to those who are getting married only, since they are so special.

I would like to propose having a wider range of clothings at the shop, however. I would not mind doing it, but I have about only one day a week that is kiiind of completely free. If you require my services, just send me an email/PM. Another option would be allowing a maximum of two special renames for the wedding attire costng glory or platinum.

-gissy :D
What about making it so that people with the wedding certificate item may shop there? It would have to be passed between the two getting married, but would that be suitable?

I would like to add more items, but the area is running a bit low on vnums. I'm sure I could add a few more, but I certainly wouldn't be able to add a LOT more.
Sairaven wrote: PC priests would be able to marry other people, under your program? I want to ask, since you hinted at that toward the bottom.
Actually, PC priests have always been able to marry people! I figure a faithed priest of any appropriate deity (I doubt a Cyricist would agree to marry a couple of Mystrans, and I doubt the Mystrans would want one to, but a priest of Torm marrying two Mystrans could be acceptable), regardless of faith level, would be able to marry two people. I'd think that perhaps the highly faithful of other classes, for example a faith manager who is a fighter and possibly inner circle, would be able to marry as well. What do you think of that?
Elenthis
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Elenthis » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:40 pm

I think it makes sense. After all, arent captains of ships able to marry? They arent clergy.
Far away and across the field, the tolling of the iron bell calls the faithful to their knees to hear the softly spoken magic spell.
Lea
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Lea » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:27 pm

I like the new ideas :D
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:52 pm

I like the new ideas as well. Could it be open in the future that one could apply to have a renamed wedding dress etc for 5 glory as well?
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:43 pm

There's a way in game to get a renamed wedding dress for IC cash. :D

And yes, it would work for goods evils anyone. :D
Beshaba potatoes.
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:02 pm

When getting a certificate a PC could request X amount of invitations and shopping tokens. Then both could be given to desired guests and the tokens when shopping. That way only those with the tokens could shop their, and then only once.
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Caelyvar
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Caelyvar » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:07 pm

I hate to ask. . .I really do, but its still in the back of my mind from WAY back when Caely frist applied for handfasting.

What about same sex applications? Will this open same sex handfastings up? Or is this still forbiddon?

Or should I open a new thread for this question?
Waukeen
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Waukeen » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:09 pm

I think that's a good idea for a new topic, Caelyvar. :)
Caelyvar
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Caelyvar » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:37 am

Well I am in favor of the changes as well. I think its too long a process for something that should be relativly simple. I mean we are talking about a socity where people are ADULTS at 16

its a good idea to marry them off quickly so they dont get into trouble.
Mariela
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Mariela » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:36 am

I don't know if I like the idea of only being able to marry people as a priest unless i have the certificate. Cause then it stands to reason that I have to apply for one for someone else? Or are you saying I can only marry someone IC if THEY have gotten the certificate? That I woudl be okay with.

We can have multiple husbands? Rock. :)
Confusion heard his voice, and wild uproar Stood ruled, stood vast infinitude confined;
Till at his second bidding darkness fled, Light shone, and order from disorder sprung.
--John Milton
Waukeen
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Waukeen » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:40 am

Mariela wrote:I don't know if I like the idea of only being able to marry people as a priest unless i have the certificate. Cause then it stands to reason that I have to apply for one for someone else? Or are you saying I can only marry someone IC if THEY have gotten the certificate? That I woudl be okay with.
Right. The people wishing to be married would give YOU (as a priest) the certificate, and then when they have done so, you will be able to marry them. As a priest, you will NOT have to pay for someone else's wedding.

You may APPLY for multiple husbands. ;) And then good luck finding someone who'll agree to marry you! :D
Mele
Staff
Staff

Post by Mele » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:01 pm

There will be an NPC that gives you a certificate, which you give to your priest. :)

It's not app for one.
Beshaba potatoes.
Larethiel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Larethiel » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:21 pm

Any hint on when this system will be put in game? :)
Weit in der Champagne im Mittsommergrün,
dort, wo zwischen Grabkreuzen Mohnblumen blühn,
da flüstern die Gräser und wiegen sich leicht
im Wind, der sanft über das Gräberfeld streicht.
Waukeen
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Waukeen » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:34 pm

I figured I would allow discussion to take place for about a week and when we're all nice and cozy with it, I'll start implementing the changes.

In other words, if anyone has any enormous objections to these ideas, please say so by Saturday. ;)
Lysha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lysha » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:53 pm

Having applied in the past, I was under the impression that the current wedding process was to reward those who have not gotten strikes in allowing them a gigantic if wanted, and to still allow those with strikes to apply, but not be allowed as lavish a wedding. The way I see it, this will be removed. Am I understanding this correctly? Or will there still be a check system for accounts with strikes?

Other than that, I think this sounds pretty peachy. :D
Your punch viciously hammers a shark's abdomen.
A shark is stunned, but will probably recover.

http://www.elfonlyinn.net/d/20070925.html
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:22 am

I am in favor of a system that checks for strikes.
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Waukeen
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Waukeen » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:32 am

I guess I never really saw the need for people with strikes to be excluded from the wedding RP in the first place, and especially not now that nothing will have to be done on the imms' side regarding weddings once this system is implemented. I understand checking for strikes, but I guess I'm not sure it's needed in this case. Thoughts on that?