Revised teaching system

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:29 pm

Values of Cha/"friendly", Int/"brilliant", and Wis/"wise" are enough to benefit from the highest feats.
Vibius
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vibius » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:33 pm

Vibius
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vibius » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:09 pm

Today I'm feeling nosy

Does the new teach system requires the expenditure of experience by the teacher to teach?

If so how much experience is needed in each teach attempt?

It would be lightly embarrasing if the teacher hasn't enough experience to teach an apprentice even if he is a GM in a skill :D
Hrosskell
Staff
Staff

Post by Hrosskell » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:56 pm

So, will the applied-for feats actually take feat points, or are they "given" to appropriate people? Also, if applicable, can a person who has expended their feat points pay glory to get new feat points for these? I know that's not the wisest of glory-point usage, but I definitely like these feats, and would be willing to spend them from the RP that could come.
Jamais arriere.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:22 pm

Vibius wrote:Today I'm feeling nosy

Does the new teach system requires the expenditure of experience by the teacher to teach?
Nope. The student still spends experience (same amount as when training from a mob).

On the contrary, the teacher benefits in that he progresses in the skills taught as if he had successfully used the skill X times. How big X is depends on how high you are in the Scholar feat tree and how high you are training your student.
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:03 am

When sending in an application for one of these feats do you wish the recommendations to come through with the application from the applicant or do you wish the people who are to recommend send them through as a seperate e-mail from their own account?
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:00 am

We are not set yet (we aren't taking in applications just yet). Most likely, they would have to be sent in separate mails, or gathered in the form of IC notes in game.
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:05 am

May I inquire how long before applications will begin to be accepted? Hate to be a pain but I have the opportunity of an IC apprentice and want to be the best prepared!
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:23 pm

You can already teach low-level skills/spells (up to 4th level spells for primary spellcasters / up to level 20 skills) without any feat. The delay is set to about 1 month, so I guess we'll start taking in applications in the second half of February.
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:26 pm

Thank you very much!
Dranso
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dranso » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:50 am

I have a question about this. So it doesn't matter how advanced you are at a given spell, trade, skill, weapon, with the scholar feat you can still teach it?
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:33 am

How advanced you are at a given spell always matter.

Let's assume that you are a level 50 character and know all your guild skills. We divide your skills into 3 categories (here, "skills" mean anything from misc. skills, weapon skills, spell skill, trade skills, and so on ...).

Category A : skills that you can learn when your character is level 20. (For wizards' and clerics' spells, that means spells of level 3 or lower I think).

Category B : skills that you can learn when your character is level 40. (For wizards' and clerics' spells, that means spells of level 7 or lower I think). Plus trade skills.

Category C : all skills, including out-of-guild skills that you might know.

Without any "scholar" feat, you are restricted to teaching skills of Category A. With 1 rank in "scholar", you are restricted to teaching skills of Category B. With 2 ranks in "scholar", you can teach all the skills you know (that is, all the skills of Category C).

But ... no matter how much of a Scholar you are, there are still other requirements before you can teach a skill. For example, one of those requirements is that you have high enough Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma. Another requirement is that your student is able to learn this skill (i.e., is high level enough to learn it, has enough experience to learn it, and this is one of their guild's skills).

And yet another requirement is that you know that skill well enough. What is "well enough"? Well, that depends on how good of a Teacher you are.

With no Teacher feat, you must be extremely good at the skill (check above for the precise values).

With one rank in the Teacher feat, you just need to be very good at the skill.

With two ranks in the Teach feat, you just need to be good at that skill.

Does it answer your question?
Dranso
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dranso » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:44 am

yes it does, thanks
Leohand
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Leohand » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:26 am

Well, I read above that it said applications would be open around mid-february, and it's march now, but before I go sending an ap in, I just thought I'd better ask to make sure it is open. Don't want to waist anyone's time with a premature application.
Windows 95: n.
32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.
Oghma
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Oghma » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:31 am

It is not open. When it is announced in the forums that it is open we will start accepting applications.
May you find the knowledge you seek. If you find something else, it is still knowledge, and as such, still a gain.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:29 am

Leohand wrote:Well, I read above that it said applications would be open around mid-february, and it's march now, but before I go sending an ap in, I just thought I'd better ask to make sure it is open. Don't want to waist anyone's time with a premature application.
Wow ... is it already mid-March in your world? It's still about the end of January here. Incredible!

Several imms seem to have taken (and/or still be taking) an extended break. We all sometimes need that when things get too quickly on our nerves, or when we have a hard time keeping calm while reading some comments, or when life just gets incredibly busy, or when we feel like turning towards other interests for a time (real life, family, job, table-top games, whatever).

Perhaps we shouldn't have given a half-precise time like "Mid-february" (I'll take the whole blame about that).

Ok, what I mean is that we are late and that things that might have moved more quickly didn't.

I'll start up a discussion about opening up applications for teaching feats right now. Sorry again for the delay!
Leohand
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Leohand » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:50 pm

Well then Dal, it's a good thing I asked, butcause I almost thought, mid-february, alright, it's open, and then went for it. Hehe. Nedylene, I think it was, told me that I should probably make certain it's open before sending it in.
Windows 95: n.
32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Revised teaching system

Post by Dalvyn » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:36 am

I'll be online today around this time to take in applications for either Teacher-2 or Scholar-1.

Requirements
- You must have Teacher-1 to apply.
- You must have 3 players vouching for you OOCly (if they are online at that time, that's easier; otherwise, ask them to send a mail to the applications address). For Teacher-2, you need 5 players vouching for you.
- You need a feat point (remember that you can change glory points into feat points with your amulet of communication).

Reminders
- Teacher-2 will let you teach skills better, that is, you will not need to have a very high skill level in a given skill to be able to teach it; for a given skill level (e.g., say that you are Expert), you will be able to teach your students higher than before.
- Scholar-1 will let you teach all skills that are given to your class at or under level 30 (nearly all skills for fighters, spells up to level 6 or 7 for casters) as well as trades.
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:37 pm

Players with a strike should not apply.
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:43 pm

(Edit: Recent events have rendered prior post useless. Yeah for less ranting from me!)
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.