Elves and other weapons

To share knowledge about the world and links to useful resources.
Orplar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Elves and other weapons

Post by Orplar » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:43 pm

I believe that all elves are give double-edged blades at creation, and possibly bows.

Could this be done for dark-elves with crossbows single-edged? I dont believe they have any racial skills/weapons granted to them. And they are elves.
"Be bold and let your feet guide you upon your own path. With any Luck, you'll wind up in a fabulous place. Work upon your skills, perfect them. You will be rewarded as you want" - Orplar Leafall, Lucks Guide
Velius
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Velius » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:04 pm

Why should drow have single-edged blades trained when they are created? I understand the logic (surface elves get bows/double-edge and drow get crossbow. Lets give them single-edged), but I don't see any reason beyond that as to why drow should get single-edged blades handed to them.

(Sorry if I came off a little strong, didn't know how else to word it.)
Jysrak Armgo of House Barrison Del'Armgo -MENZO-
Jys/rak: Jys = Hard, steel, unyielding, /rak = Chaos, storm, tempest
Orplar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Orplar » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:22 pm

That -is- the logic. Surface elves have double-edged and bows handed to them. Why cant drow have something similar, if they currently dont?

Surface elves are not the only elves known for the skill with blades. And everyclass of surface elf is granted those two weapon skills I -think-.

Why not have something similar for drow if it isn't already in place?

Anyhow, was just and idea.
"Be bold and let your feet guide you upon your own path. With any Luck, you'll wind up in a fabulous place. Work upon your skills, perfect them. You will be rewarded as you want" - Orplar Leafall, Lucks Guide
Velius
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Velius » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:40 pm

Orplar wrote:Surface elves are not the only elves known for the skill with blades.
Looking at Homeland, the weaponsmaster teaches the young how to fight, be it soldiers or nobles. When the apprentice (the one seeking to learn of combat from the weaponsmaster) then is aloud to pick a weapon of their choice and from then on masters the weapon. (on a side-note, dual wield is rare among the drow as it requires amazing balance of the body. Drizzt is ambidextrous among things which is why he was able to dual wield and fight so well) So drow pick a weapon of their choice and master it.

With surface elves, I've read so many FR books and surface elves for the most part used that combo. (double-edged sword and bow). They are renowned for their ability to use those weapons.

THEN AGAIN...
FK and FR has differences and if we were to give drow single-edged blade for balance amongst the elves, I wouldn't see a problem with it.
Sairaven
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Sairaven » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:51 pm

Out of curiosity, why single-edged blades and not double?

Forgive me, my newbishness is showing.
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"
~Despair.com
----
Sairaven - Dusk Echo of Helm
Quey - The Broken Blade
Vagan Silversword, Warwizard
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:54 am

Actually....
d20 source document wrote:
Weapon Proficiency: A drow is automatically proficient with the hand crossbow, the rapier, and the short sword. This trait replaces the elf’s weapon proficiency.
Extrapolate this to FK proficiencies, they should have crossbows and thrusting blades as automatic proficiencies.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Orplar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Orplar » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:44 pm

Fair enough, would it be possible to make that change?
Elenthis
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Elenthis » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:36 pm

I'm about to ask a question that everyone can get a good laugh at, since its going to probably be a really dumb question...

Do ALL elves get bows and double-edged blades automatically? Class choice doesnt remove this? Cause elenthis decidedly does not have double edged blades or bows...
Far away and across the field, the tolling of the iron bell calls the faithful to their knees to hear the softly spoken magic spell.
Oghma
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Oghma » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:26 pm

It might be in reference to elves since the new character creation process, more than likely classic elves did not have this feature.
May you find the knowledge you seek. If you find something else, it is still knowledge, and as such, still a gain.
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:50 pm

I can confirm classic elves did not and do not have this features. I have used a feat to get bows on my elf and still lack double edged weapons
Orplar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Orplar » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:30 pm

Correct

Nedy always beats me, even on my own posts. *sigh*
Velius
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Velius » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:40 pm

I got all my knowledge for FR R.A. Salvatore books about drow and surface elves, don't know a single thing about D&D other than it stands for Dungeons and Dragons.... in other words I admit defeat.

*offers a salute as he heads off northward*

Also - Are we going to do anything about thrusting blades and drow? Or are we going to live without?
Cyprianus
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Cyprianus » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:52 pm

I don't really think at this point there is enough reason to add this racial feat to the drow. Mostly the drow are rarely used and role played. I don't see how gaining these abilities will add to the to the rp aspect of the mud. Instead of learning the skills automatically I'd rather have the drow learn them through extensive training in ic schools and through interaction. The elves don't have this problem because of the widespread rp and availability for the elves to interact, so I don't really see the need to give these abilities to the drow, I'd rather they'd interact and learn it as they grow and interact.
Greed is Good
Velius
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Velius » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:29 am

I agree with you Cyp, just was curious as to what the coders/Imm/whoever thought about the whole deal.