Setting and Removing (and Making?) Traps

A place to suggest new commands, feats, skills, ...
Travis
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Setting and Removing (and Making?) Traps

Post by Travis » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:07 am

Ok, so I remember back in the day I used to go around collecting traps with the hope that I could possibly set them at a later date. I can't remember for the life of me what the command is to remove a trap (and take it into your inventory) and I've never been able to successfully set a trap before though it's true that I have not tried to do it recently.

If the commands are currently available for use in game, I suggest that they be put into the help files for 'disarm' or 'trap' for those of us with poor memories. Additionally, I think a few shops with special traps would be a nice touch to the game.

Also, while I was making this post, I thought about an interesting new trade 'Trap Making'. This would be mainly implemented by thieves, though I can think of a few other classes that could probably put it to good use.
"We could kill /everyone/."
Rawlys
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Rawlys » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:40 am

Code: Select all

Detrap
Syntax: detrap <direction|object> 

This skill is used to remove traps from either objects or passages. In 
order to use this skill the trap must have been found through search or 
the spell find traps.

Settrap
Syntax: settrap <direction|object> <trapname> 

This skill allows those proficient with traps to set them, be 
it on passages or objects
It appears that the ability is there to set the trap, depending on the detrap skill. Detrap is an actual skill given to the thief class.

I haven't witnessed the settrap skill used in game before, but would think it would be a fun ability to have.

In order to reduce the potential of an unintentional PK by the trap setter, all PC set traps could only deal non leathal damage (all the way down to stun). Plenty of combinations can be come up with as far as location and timing.

As for the trade to actually create a trap, I'm all for it. Once again, have the traps only deal non leathal damage, no matter the skill level. Based upon ability, the trap could become more elaborate, allowing for different types of traps. With a high enough skill and 'know to', collect the materials and get a wiz to cast a spell on the trap so that when triggered, it would deal out that spells damage.

Depending on the craftsmanship of the trap, it would determine the DC of a successful search, the DC of avoiding it (not triggering it), DC of a detrap, the potential damage (physical or magical), and saving throw (based on damage type of either physcial or magical).

And with a high enough charisma, look good doing it ;)
You may believe in luck and misfortune, but you are not governed by them - Learaso of Westgate
Cret
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Cret » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:25 am

The trap code, while improved, had several major flaws to it. Setting a trap would not cause the trap to trigger.. you could trap anything.. the WD fountain, a quarterstaff, a waterskin, PC's..

I posted it bugged several times. But to no avail. New code to support the game was more important, and rightly so, to the game.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:05 am

Can you...trap a codpiece?
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Orplar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Orplar » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:20 am

O_o evil
"Be bold and let your feet guide you upon your own path. With any Luck, you'll wind up in a fabulous place. Work upon your skills, perfect them. You will be rewarded as you want" - Orplar Leafall, Lucks Guide
Sairaven
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Sairaven » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:23 am

I had a very wicked idea.

Would definitely give away if your fighter other half is cheating on you...
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"
~Despair.com
----
Sairaven - Dusk Echo of Helm
Quey - The Broken Blade
Vagan Silversword, Warwizard
Travis
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Travis » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:44 pm

Aye. That does sound a bit nasty... better check your allignment first.

Does anyone know what the the command is to remove (and take) a trap? It's not detrap, I know that much. I'm not even sure if it's still in the game, but I remember it being a really cool feature.

Also, what do you guys think about making traps? I'm not sure how it would work, I figure it would be a (dex, int) or (dex, lck) based trade... Seems like new items would have to be added to the game for it to work (trip wires, long spikes, fulcrums for rock falls, springs, etc)
"We could kill /everyone/."