[SKILL]Mount-Griffon

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Aetrevan
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

[SKILL]Mount-Griffon

Post by Aetrevan » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:11 pm

I was wondering what are the checks that cause a griffon rider to fall? I am GM at mount and have an acrobatic dexterity, yet I find myself falling off all the time. Another character I know is also GM at mount and acrobatic in dexterity, but he has never fallen off his griffon.

Please help!
Tobias
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Tobias » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:13 pm

do you use a saddle? The more riding equipment on your mount the better your chances at not falling off. Since you can almost strap yourself in and the like.
I am but a tree te da lee lee
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:16 pm

Tobias beat me to it.

Though, I would think if you're a GM you shouldn't be falling off. Especially not easily.
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:57 pm

I believe, the way the mount check is set up, you will in fact, always have a chance to fall off if the mount isn't wearing a saddle, even at GM. The maximum chance of success you have is 100%, and not having a saddle subtracts from that.

It does, have to be a coded saddle to count (in other words, showing as "worn as a saddle" when you examine it). Also make certain the saddle is worn by the mount, and not simply in the inventory. It may seem silly to say, but it does happen.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Aetrevan
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Aetrevan » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:51 pm

It wears the harness/saddle that you create during the quest where you learn to ride griffons. It wears no other equipment though because, well, there are no griffon tack rooms out there.
Larethiel
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Larethiel » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:03 pm

But the harness is no saddle :)
Weit in der Champagne im Mittsommergrün,
dort, wo zwischen Grabkreuzen Mohnblumen blühn,
da flüstern die Gräser und wiegen sich leicht
im Wind, der sanft über das Gräberfeld streicht.
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:09 am

*stands on your soap box*

When you have an animal companion which is also a mount... and you spend YEARS riding said flying animal companion WITHOUT a saddle... and work your mount skill up from novice to grandmaster... YOU SHOULD NOT FALL OFF

I am an equestrian. While wildly out of practice now in my prime (Oh say.... seven years ago) I was eventing training level and training prelim (anyone here know what that means?) .... Out of fun we used to hop on our horses bareback and go train in the cross country field going over 4' jumps, down ditches, galloping up hills etc and of the group of four of us MAYBE 1 of us fell off bareback a MONTH.

Maybe they should create "invisible saddles" for those people who have riden every hard lick of their riding career on the mud without saddles so they can at least look like the grandmaster they are and not an untrained novice

*hops down off of her soap box*
Aetrevan
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Aetrevan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:24 am

Larethiel wrote:But the harness is no saddle :)
Well the guy that actually makes the apparatus refers to it as a saddle, but the griffon trainer atop Mnt. Waterdeep refers to it as a harness.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:37 am

I bet it was Nedy who fell. ;) *ducks, runs, avoids death*
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Elenthis
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Elenthis » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:50 am

I actually wrote the quest where you learn how to ride a griffon, and make your saddle and whatnot. Just so you know (without revealing IC information) The harness should not only work as a saddle, it should REALLY REALLY work, even if you are a low-skill level in mount. If this isnt the case, someone may have decided to change something or a code update could have eaten it. Not really sure...
Far away and across the field, the tolling of the iron bell calls the faithful to their knees to hear the softly spoken magic spell.
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:59 am

Selveem wrote:I bet it was Nedy who fell. ;) *ducks, runs, avoids death*
*snort*
Fall? Me?
No no... this pansy ass elf does NOT fall. See me and Arisel have an understanding... he lands, I mount, he flies we go thirty leagues (or three rooms) and I gracefully preform an emergency dismount while he clips me on a tree... or decides he wants to dive down to graze.... or swerve around a mountain... or wants to see miss elf deftly leap to her feet and kill the horse eating bandit O.o
I don't... fall
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:06 am

In order for a saddle to be considered a saddle, it has to be:

1) coded as a saddle,
2) worn by the mount
3) worn by the mount in the SADDLE location.

The harness made during the griffon quest, is not a saddle, it is a harness, and therefore, worn on the head. Just checked, confirmed it is WEAR_HEAD.

Therefore, as far as riding bareback, it doesn't count.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:48 am

I vote for a bareback mount skill. Not a flying mount skill *nods deftly*

I'll just have to start making the "support your local druids" signs
Elenthis
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Elenthis » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:55 am

I dont still have all of the original progs for the quest, but I do believe that the teacher in question explains how the "head harness" loops around the front two legs, both wings, and the girth. Should I send in an email to builders, or just let it be as is?
Far away and across the field, the tolling of the iron bell calls the faithful to their knees to hear the softly spoken magic spell.