Malar priests

To share knowledge about the world and links to useful resources.
Dagev
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Malar priests

Post by Dagev » Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:05 am

I was looking over the Malar priest skill list and noticed that they do not have dual wield. From most stuff I have seen, they should get the skill and I was wondering if this was possible? I also noticed shieldwork and I think that shouldnt be on there. Most priests of Malar I have seen wear their "claws" only and thus.....always dual wield. No self respecting priest of Malar would need the "protection" (*scoff* :) ) of a shield. Claws are looked at as a part of them. Just a thought....up for discussion

Dagev
Gralock
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Gralock » Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:43 am

I think it would be a nice idea for Priest of Malar to get dual wield, but only for small weapons like the daggers. It wouldn't be right to have a priest come charging into a room swing to big axes at once. I'm not sure if there is a way to limit dual wield to smaller class items. But as for the shieldwork skill that is given to all the priests apon creating them so if your going to be a priest of Malar either don't use a shield or just don't train that skill and save your money.

Gralock
In the long run, we're all dead.
-John Maynard Keynes
Dominik

Post by Dominik » Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:19 pm

Not having a priest character myself, I could very easily be wrong in this statement, but say it I shall anyway: I believe, if I am not mistaken, that all priests, regardless of faith, possess the same skill list.
Stayne
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Stayne » Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:58 pm

I agree with you there Dagev and though I understand what Grahlock is saying I believe that things should be moved further. While Domink may be right in priest skills lists being similar, I know that they are different in some minor aspects. While all priests get to train up blunt weapon if the so choose, some priests also get a other weapon skills that are related to that diety and often to a dieties favoured weapon.

I would love to see these steps taken further, make the priests more different and more unique than they are, and allow many to become a true reflection of the power their dieties have. From what I understand of Malar priests, they are hunters of the wild. More warriors than priest, yet their fighting skills are limited and their spell list quite decent. I think this should be reverse, they should have a majority of fighter skills with limited spells. Other priests like those of Ilmater should have little or no combat skills and a heavy selection of healing and curative spells. A priest of mask might also get the sneak and hide abilities rather than some of their spells which are not really related to them. These are just examples and idle speculation, but I believe they are good things if done correctly of course.

Gralock is of course right in his concerns that a priest of Malar should not be running in dual wielding two big bastard swords, but I am not sure, that code-wise, such limitations can be enforced (unless you can cap a skill to stop it from becoming GM?).

Just my thoughts for now
-Stayne