Shieldwork

A place to suggest new commands, feats, skills, ...
Vibius
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Shieldwork

Post by Vibius » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:21 pm

I manage to get a bonus to my defence when using a shield, even if shieldwork isn't in my skill list!
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:51 pm

Hm, was it a buckler? Because, technically, in D&D a wizard can wear a buckler and still get +1 AC.. If I remember correctly, there's no penalty to spell casting as a buckler, either. I don't have access to my materials, though, I'm at work.
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:43 am

Makes sense to me, just dont expect to "take an attack on your shield" as per the skill during battle.
Orplar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Orplar » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:54 am

that doesn't even happen with the shieldwork skill
"Be bold and let your feet guide you upon your own path. With any Luck, you'll wind up in a fabulous place. Work upon your skills, perfect them. You will be rewarded as you want" - Orplar Leafall, Lucks Guide
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:19 am

It sure does. Perhaps you have a miscoded shield?
Balek
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Balek » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:11 am

I don't think I've seen that message since the combat update. As far as I can tell shields just provide an AC bonus now, they never intercept an attack and use that message.
Lathlain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lathlain » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:19 am

That's interesting - would that make the shieldwork weapon-skill irrelevant now then, or does the skill level simply affect the AC modifier?
"This is General Lath'lain Dy'nesir, of the Ebon Spur. Walking Murder surrounded by a thin veneer of civility."
-Miriel
Tobias
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Tobias » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:45 pm

I saw it somewhere posted before I think by Dalvyn that said shieldwork no longer intercepts attacks. Instead it just does a straight ac to you and i think a few locations on your body. I am not totally sure though?
I am but a tree te da lee lee
Orplar
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Orplar » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:47 pm

Nod, it just affects ac right now, regardless of having the skill trained or not.
"Be bold and let your feet guide you upon your own path. With any Luck, you'll wind up in a fabulous place. Work upon your skills, perfect them. You will be rewarded as you want" - Orplar Leafall, Lucks Guide
Grafghur
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Grafghur » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:11 pm

Should we remove the shieldwork skill then?
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:50 am

I am sure it is under consideration then if it was removed with the new combat system what to do with skill xp and so on. So to be fair we should either make a separate topic or include it to the combat topics in the general discussion not it the bug forum.
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:33 am

The shieldwork skill could be adapted with further expansion of the combat feats, so I would see no reason to need to yank it yet. There's an entire feat tree dedicated to weapon and shield style combat. Frankly it will be about time that us non-dual wielders by choice got some love :)
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Sairaven
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Sairaven » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:38 am

I agree with Kregor.

Sairaven uses a sword and shield, because that's the style I see him using. Not a two-handed sword, not dual weapons. Just sword & board as it were.

I liked shieldwork, because of the fact that I could intercept attacks and negate the damage.

Now... not so much.
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"
~Despair.com
----
Sairaven - Dusk Echo of Helm
Quey - The Broken Blade
Vagan Silversword, Warwizard