Paladins - Vow of Poverty?

To share knowledge about the world and links to useful resources.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:09 pm

I don't know if this is accurate or not, but I do remember Aedwyn constantly giving out magical items. I think he only had 10 total; even when stored.

This may just have been the quality of Paladin he was. Maybe just extreme in his Vow of Poverty, but I do seem to remember he didn't keep a whole bunch.

I've never owned a Paladin, so I can only comment on what I've seen.

Sarvas was only a Squire for the entire time I knew him. He never had a lot of magical items, either.
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:45 pm

As I see it...

I think the main breakdown point we come to over the magic item limitation is the one that makes a huge difference between the old tabletop rules and the D&D rules: the fact that armor is location based in FK, rather than a whole set as in D&D.

The logic to retaining individual pieces in the limitation, was due to the original treatment of bonuses in FK code. That being, if you wore 5 pieces of +1 armor on different locations, you would actually stack to have a +5 bonus.

With the new code in place, this is no longer the case. Wearing magical armor only improves the local area it protects, therefore. I think all pieces to a complete suit of armor should be considered as a whole when it comes to a count of magical items.

There is, of course, no such ruling for a paladin in 3rd edition unless it is specifically outlined in the particular faith or order to which he belongs. It's a remnant of AD&D class guidelines. Rangers also had the restriction before 3E that they could only retain as many total possessions as they could carry on their person and their mount. I think there are rangers with bank accounts and storerooms roaming about FK :)
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki