[SKILL]Backstab

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Dranso
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

[SKILL]Backstab

Post by Dranso » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:40 pm

As I remember it, in the old days a thief could backstab willy nilly whenever he wanted where ever he wanted. Now that I am playing my thief again, I come to realize that this is no longer the case. Now you have hide and then when you attack it automaticly backstabs.

First off let me say that I in no way agree that you should be able to backstab willy nilly because it is a stealthy skill. The current system seems to me it could be bad for RP or just doesn't make sense, because there is more than one way to kill a PC/NPC with the backstab skill than hiding behind a tree, rock, box, etc. I've also noticed that if you sneak you still won't backstab.

I forgot to add something so I eddited it.

It also seems to me that it doesn't work everytime you hide you kill either. And it doesn't seem to work in the dark. Tell me if I'm wrong please.
Graham
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Graham » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:49 am

I don't have much to say in response to Dranso's questions, but I do have a few of my own.

I'm wondering if the percentages of the "circle" half of the sneak attack actually go up when a character is blinded/gouged/dirtkicked or otherwise disabled; that includes hold person, stun, sapped, that kind've stuff. I don't know how code works, but I know that it'd be real easy to score a few circles if my opponent has been poked in the eyes, but I don't know how this currently works.
Travis
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Re: [SKILL]Backstab

Post by Travis » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:33 am

Well, my thieving friends.

In order to be eligible for a backstab, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be hidden/invis to your opponent

A few examples of this being:
- If you blind your opponent and he's not affected by true sight, you have a chance to backstab
- If it's dark out, and your opponent has no night vision or true sight, you have a chance to backstab
- If you are under the affects of invis or hide when you attack, you have a chance to backstab
- I haven't tested this, but I am pretty sure if your opponent is resting or flat footed, you may have a chance to backstab

With circle stab, another must be fighting the same opponent as you are. Your opponent does not have to be blind in order for you to circle, only distracted.
"We could kill /everyone/."
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:50 pm

Does blind-fighting negate any of those if you know, Travis?
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Travis
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Travis » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:05 pm

You know, I'm not exactly sure.

I know that it's pretty much (if not fully so) impossible for a high level thief to backstab a high level thief because of uncanny dodge.

Blind fight may play into this, but I'm thinking that they're still left open for attack
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:12 pm

Oh, sorry, I phrased my question wrong.

The blind-fighting feat SHOULD prevent you from getting sneak attacked when you are blinded/can't see/against an invisible/hidden opponent (but NOT when flanked). That is how it works in D20.

I was curious if you have noticed that it works this way in game with your thief, Travis?
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Travis
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Travis » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:49 pm

I have not, sorry. Most of the characters I know who have that feat trained also conveniently have uncanny dodge. I'm thinking it doesn't stop you from getting backstabbed, though.