shortage of components?

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Pascus
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Re: shortage of components?

Post by Pascus » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:57 pm

Actually leaving cities is the best, too many people get caught up in the city and stay there. I like the idea of leaving the cities, better adventures that way.
Duranamir
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Duranamir » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:46 pm

Right now the availablity of components is the best i have ever seen. With the addition of alchemy it promises to improve even further.....but. Theres is still one component that seems to be unavailable and not likley to be produced by alchemy. That is adders stomach, it is a component required by a second level spell as well as several higher level ones.

If i am wrong and it can be found all to the good. But if not could some snake mob out there actually drop this component instead of its tongue. As Adder is the english name for the viper snake.

Duranamir
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:43 am

Noticed a shortage of the item 'flask of water' today; an important item for both wizards and priests alike. Especially priests unless they're feeling masochistic and willing to pay for the pre-blessed vials..
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:06 am

Selveem wrote:Noticed a shortage of the item 'flask of water' today; an important item for both wizards and priests alike. Especially priests unless they're feeling masochistic and willing to pay for the pre-blessed vials..
Notice this with Siros as well. Considering the number of his 'regular rotation' spells have flask of water as a component, I would love to see the item limit increased a bit... especially considering how it is one of those "one per spell" components.
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Oghma
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Oghma » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:30 am

They're still available, though you may have to look around icly for them.
May you find the knowledge you seek. If you find something else, it is still knowledge, and as such, still a gain.
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:45 pm

I know of two places which sell flasks of water willy nilly
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:05 pm

Nedylene wrote:I know of two places which sell flasks of water willy nilly
Both shops were out of stock when I last posted, which is why I suggested the item limit increased. When I can blow through about a hundred flasks easily on one venture out of the cities on Siros, the "out of stock" message scares me. :wink:

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:28 pm

Oh and Selveem... So don't have to pay for vials of Holy Water. My druidess is floating with them now and she does not have the bless water spell. Used to buy them from a kind priest until I figured out there is an easier way
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:39 pm

I popped online and could buy a flask of water in Waterdeep.

What can prevent people from buying flasks of water is people hoarding hundreds of them.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:45 pm

I know of an easier way, too, but that doesn't mean it's IC for all of my characters to be doing it..

The point was kinda that it's out and that <insert name of PC here>'s shop in WD was out as well. The only other place I knew that had it was a place my character wouldn't bother going unless his conscience forced him to (to help someone, basically).

It's a very easy item that (in my opinion) Waterdeep should never run out of with all its fountains and it being just one big port and all.

I tried just taking the generic 'a flask' item and filling it at a fountain, but the item doesn't appear to be coded for that. I also sent that info into the builders addy to see if that was intentional.
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:06 pm

Selveem, Did you check all three stores in WD who have it?
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:24 pm

Without going into too much IC: Must not know the third, but I checked two.
Caelnai
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Caelnai » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:27 pm

Nedylene wrote:Did you check all three stores in WD who have it?
From a distance, this thread is a hilarious. C'mon folks, how hard can it be to come up with a flask of water in Faerun!? :lol:

Seriously though, it occurs to me that if I played many spell-casters I'd be in trouble. By design, hardly any of my PCs would or could IC-ly set foot inside Waterdeep...or any other City. Much love to the staff for the new scatters of components in the wilderness and mobs!! But perhaps there are a few gaps?
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:48 pm

Dalvyn wrote:I popped online and could buy a flask of water in Waterdeep.

What can prevent people from buying flasks of water is people hoarding hundreds of them.
Yes, they are stocked now. Siros is almost out of flasks, after draining his supply during the night. :lol:

Siros's three primary offensive spells use flasks, one per cast and he is currently seeking 2 more spells for him that I have been told also use flasks. I can blow through 1 or 2 hundred in a trip out to Howling Peaks or similar 'adventure' area, perhaps a 1-3 hour venture. Is it hording to buy a hundred if they are used up within an hour of buying them? I never thought so, but maybe I'm wrong.

In any case, still think flask item limit should be bumped a bit... or perhaps code them to last longer than one spell (a conflict for certain spells like bless water, I'm sure). Or... allow 'create water' to generate flasks of water if no water container is targeted with the spell. *shrug*

Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:07 pm

Nysan wrote:Or... allow 'create water' to generate flasks of water if no water container is targeted with the spell. *shrug*
I endorse this idea.
Oghma
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Oghma » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:04 am

Because of the nature of the component and the spells generated, they tend to go very quickly, which allows volume to replicate regularly. They are also inexpensive for the most part. I'd be against a spell that provides them as a regenerated item. However, I would not be opposed to selling empty flasks that can be full of certain types of special water or created through certain methods. I see the need for some difficulties if something like this would be player driven to be cultivated. Or we could increase the one time use a bit and raise the prices. It sounds a bit unfair, but otherwise it may be abused or trivialized.
May you find the knowledge you seek. If you find something else, it is still knowledge, and as such, still a gain.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:46 am

Oghma wrote:Because of the nature of the component and the spells generated, they tend to go very quickly, which allows volume to replicate regularly. They are also inexpensive for the most part. I'd be against a spell that provides them as a regenerated item. However, I would not be opposed to selling empty flasks that can be full of certain types of special water or created through certain methods. I see the need for some difficulties if something like this would be player driven to be cultivated. Or we could increase the one time use a bit and raise the prices. It sounds a bit unfair, but otherwise it may be abused or trivialized.
The 'create water' idea was just that, an idea. Something thought up to reduce the list of "merchant/shops only" components and open up a secondary option to the feared 'out of stock' echo.

Bumping the usage per flask for some spells would be nice. However, some spells like 'bless water', it doesn't make sense to allow multiple uses. Thats why I am leaning more towards a creative non-shop method of attaining them.

Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:46 am

Oghma wrote:Because of the nature of the component and the spells generated, they tend to go very quickly, which allows volume to replicate regularly.
I hope you don't mind me picking apart your idea here, Oghma, but because they go so quickly it necessitates the stockpile of a large number. Because so many spells require it, a wide variety of characters have them. This is not a hack and slash MUD, some 'casual adventurers' still log on and don't ever use them, but have to have a good number of them in case they DO go out on an adventure. Thus, they get 'stockpiled' and count against the total count allowed in the game.
Oghma wrote:They are also inexpensive for the most part. I'd be against a spell that provides them as a regenerated item.
If they're so inexpensive, why would you be against them being able to be "crafted" free? Why would it be so bad to actually have them readily available to those who will need them?
Oghma wrote:However, I would not be opposed to selling empty flasks that can be full of certain types of special water or created through certain methods. I see the need for some difficulties if something like this would be player driven to be cultivated.
I suppose I should ask what you'd meant here, but from what I read you are saying you're alright with people being able to craft them and make them for others.. What's the difference between using, say, 'create water' spell and passing them out to others? Honestly, what we're talking about here is water. I could understand if you had a problem with people being able to instantaneously create a golden ankh out of thin air, but we aren't. Technically speaking, mechanics-wise, I should be able to use my waterskin. :)
Oghma wrote:Or we could increase the one time use a bit and raise the prices. It sounds a bit unfair, but otherwise it may be abused or trivialized.
Not a bad idea, actually, if one lived in say.. Anauroch. For most of us, we live in or at least traverse big cities with large bodies of water. There are multiple streams, lakes, rivers, ponds, and the like all over the map that because solely for code-specific reasons we cannot utilize to gather into containers to be used by spells.

This is a medieval era. There is no distillation process. It's just.. water.

I think, realistically, the problem is this:

They are used so rapidly that you can either stockpile them and look like the hoarder, glutton, and scum of the MUD..

Or, you can just do without and hope that when you need them something will be available.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:58 am

Selveem wrote:They are used so rapidly that you can either stockpile them and look like the hoarder, glutton, and scum of the MUD..
Hey, I resemble that remark. :P

Oghma
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Oghma » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:49 am

I'd be happy to see blessed water be usable multiple times. I don't think someone that has in the past stockpiled them would look like the 'scum of the mud' There are other ways to look like that, ways I'd probably not go into detail here. We all do our best to learn from past mistakes anyway. As a preference for myself in the case of water I'd limit myself to a certain amount per trip then renew my portion. A fair amount is understandable but a ridiculous amount is not. On difficulties or skills used to gain certain things, I've found it both rewarding and interesting rp, not a punishment for the power levelers or reward for the rp'rs per see, just a interesting experience for those that can make the time for it.