Handling Objects While Shapechanged

To share knowledge about the world and links to useful resources.
Talon
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Handling Objects While Shapechanged

Post by Talon » Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:34 pm

Maybe this was covered somewhere else, I'm not sure. If it was, then I am sorry for bringing it up again.

Recently my Ranger was in bird form and had killed a fish. When he went to pick it up there was an echo saying "You have not the body parts for that." Wouldn't a bird be able to pick up a fish in his claws?

Maybe this is an issue of "If a bird is allowed to pick up some things then players may end up abusing it by picking up anything and everything, even things that would be far too heavy."

Anyways. I just thought I would bring it up and see what others had to say about it.
Rorix
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Rorix » Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:49 pm

Well, the carrying problem can be solved quite easily. The carry weight when shapechanged could be reduced to just enough to cary say a few fish. Though now that I think about it, do you have the same carry weight as though you were your normal self? lateaz

Rad Adam - the Eye of the Storm
"So Lonestar, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."
Nikkos

Post by Nikkos » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:44 pm

First, Talon, I think the main reason people shapechanged into animals can't pick up things from the ground is because most have no thumbs.

Second, Rorix, regarding changing carry weight: Actually it is not that easy, you still have to carry the things you have while you are shapechanged though technically they transform with you into the shape. This transformation is why stealing from shapechanged individuals is against the rule: those things do not exist. Moreover, carry weight while shapechanged reflects the stats of the critter you're changed into as well it should.

Again, while technically you should be able to pick up the fish with your claws, it is not necessary to be able to pick up items particularly since you can now eat and drink from the ground.

Quite frankly I am strongly opposed to limiting the carry weight when shapechanged because I don't want to drop everything I own the next full moon. I'd kind of like to be able to defend myself too.
Last edited by Nikkos on Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penryn
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

shapechange

Post by Penryn » Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:43 am

I gotta agree with Nikkos on this one. If shapechanged was changed to reflect the weight a creature could carry it would need to be recoded into the code as not affected in the changed weight or disappear for a time into a room to reappear once the ranger/druid/priest of certain faiths changes back. Now that would be alot of coding and problems in order to change things.. and why change stuff that isnt broken?

sincerely,
jeffery
Rper of Penryn Aelorothi, Priest of Corellon Larethian