Weapon Finesse

A place to suggest new commands, feats, skills, ...
Scylere
Sword Master
Sword Master

Weapon Finesse

Post by Scylere » Tue May 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Weapon Finesse states that the feat only works with "Light Weapons". There's no description as to which weapons are light weapons. It makes sense that a person trained to fight with weapons of finesse, would know which weight, size and shape a "Light Weapon" would be.

I had some good suggestions from someone over the ask channel, but it really pointed to guesswork as to which weapon is a "Light Weapon". Some weapons are common sense, but then when you move into reducing the size of weapons and such, it becomes more complicated.

Is there a way of certainty to know which weapons are considered "Light"? Could there be more said under the Weapon Finesse feat as to which ones are "Light"? Maybe if there was a list or a statement like "All and only Short Blades are considered Light Weapons" - I don't know if that's true or not.

That'd be helpful. Thank you.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Re: Weapon Finesse

Post by Raona » Wed May 21, 2008 11:46 am

Based on what I read in
http://www.gallwey.com/fk/board/viewtop ... sse#p43255
I believe the weapons to which finesse would apply would include many smaller blades, including sabres and the like. With permission from higher up, I could compile a complete list, and add it to the weapon finesse helpfile.
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Fri May 23, 2008 6:52 pm

A light weapon would be any weapon that is at least one size smaller than you. Rapiers of your size are also considered a light weapon.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Kregor - Ranger of Tangled Trees
Rozor - Lady Luck's Duelist
Tygen - Ranger-Bard of Mielikki
Tobias
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Tobias » Fri May 23, 2008 8:54 pm

and daggers to I hope!
I am but a tree te da lee lee
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Sun May 25, 2008 4:00 am

Kregor wrote:A light weapon would be any weapon that is at least one size smaller than you....
If you try to be clever and pump up the damage of the dagger by enlarging it to medium size, then no, it will no longer be a light weapon.
"There is no safety for honest men except by believing all possible evil of evil men."

Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Sun May 25, 2008 5:43 am

Kregor wrote:If you try to be clever and pump up the damage of the dagger by enlarging it to medium size, then no, it will no longer be a light weapon.
Innuendos -
You find them everywhere
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Tue May 27, 2008 11:00 am

Kregor wrote:A light weapon would be any weapon that is at least one size smaller than you. Rapiers of your size are also considered a light weapon.
Thanks for the clarification! Helpfile updated to clarify this point.

Glim: You are a sick puppy. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Raona on Wed May 28, 2008 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Tue May 27, 2008 5:04 pm

Kregor wrote:
Kregor wrote:A light weapon would be any weapon that is at least one size smaller than you....
If you try to be clever and pump up the damage of the dagger by enlarging it to medium size, then no, it will no longer be a light weapon.
Technically speaking, wouldn't this still qualify as a light weapon? A dagger's natural weight is 1 lb. If you enlarge it, it will be 2 lbs. A rapier is a light weapon and weighs 2 lbs. Maybe I'm wrong, just thought I would bring it up for discussion.
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Tue May 27, 2008 6:45 pm

Actually, a dagger is naturally a tiny weapon. To make it medium sized is two size increases, making it 4 pounds, right about the same size and weight as a longsword. Not to mention the balance would be totally off at that size, unless you were a bugbear or an ogre.

Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Thu May 29, 2008 4:39 am

I think I misunderstood you, unless you saying that daggers in game are sized small instead of tiny?

Enlarge only increases size by one increment, so if they aren't sized small (and are appropriately sized as tiny) they should still be small and capable of being considered a light weapon (I think!). That's all I was saying. :P
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Dovan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dovan » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:15 am

Kregor wrote:A light weapon would be any weapon that is at least one size smaller than you. Rapiers of your size are also considered a light weapon.
Is this to be considered in single use only? If not... I have a medium raced individual with a medium longsword and a medium rapier who is unable to dual wield the weapons.

Perhaps I'm understanding this incorrectly though, even though a rapier of medium sized is considered "light", it does not retain the light size reduction bonus?
"One life; Win or lose it's all a bet,
One chance; Don't show fear and do not forget" -Simon's Symphony

-Dovan, Burning Blade of Luck
Vibius
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Vibius » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:47 am

Please correct me anyone if I'm wrong.

Unless you have an insane level in Dual Wield, you can only use at the same time a weapon of the same type of size of your character and another of a smaller category.

That means that a medium-sized humanoid can dual-wield a weapon of medium size and another of small size (or tiny) where a small-sized humanoid will be able only to dual-wield a weapon of small size and another of tiny size.
Dovan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dovan » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:25 pm

Correct to that... which I understand. But I was just trying to clear the air in reference to the rapier being treated as a "light" weapon. Is it still being considered a medium weapon in use or due to its classification, is it treated as a small weapon in the hands of a medium race.
"One life; Win or lose it's all a bet,
One chance; Don't show fear and do not forget" -Simon's Symphony

-Dovan, Burning Blade of Luck
Kregor
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Kregor » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:43 pm

The inability to wield the rapier in the offhand is simply a function of the dual-wield skill. It is the length of the weapon, rather than its weight or classification, that prevents its offhand use, because your offhand weapon has to be a size smaller or less than you, until you're extremely high in the skill. Getting to that level in the skill, takes a good long time of use.