Can't log on to the game

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Brom
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Can't log on to the game

Post by Brom » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:12 pm

I'm not sure if this is the correct spot to post but I didn't see a tech forum.

Whenever I try to login, I put in my account name, and password, and then it says "lost connection to account name Forgotten Kingdoms"

Can anyone please assist with this?
Brom
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Brom » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:23 pm

Nevermind, I figured it out. Thanks anyways!
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:46 pm

Good to see you enjoying the game Brom. Welcome aboard, tell your friends! :)
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Brom
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Brom » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:13 am

Thank you, and thanks for the help last night.
Coralie
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Re: Can't log on to the game

Post by Coralie » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:26 am

Hey Everyone,
I didn’t think it necessary to start an entire new post, so decided I would post it here. :) I am having a bit of a problem logging onto the Java Client, which I have been using lately. When I go to load it, it says, (on the black log on screen, before I even get the chance to log on,)
“Sorry, Could not connect to: game.forgottenkingdoms.com 4000
Reason: Java.net, UnknownHostException: game.forgottenkingdoms.com”
I was just on the other day, so not sure why it is telling me this. :roll: It has been saying that all day. I tried to reset my computer and all, but still no luck. However, Telnet does work without a problem. I hoped maybe some one would know why it was saying that and could help. Thank you all for your time! :)
The winds grow high;
Impending tempests charge the sky;
The lightning flies, the thunder roars;
And big waves lash the frightened shores.
- Matthew Prior
Isaldur
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isaldur » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:53 am

Coralie, I've been getting messages about the host name changing when using zmud so I assume it has something to do with that. Try connecting via IP address 193.1.99.89 if possible and that should work.
A sapphire haired male aasimar replies to you 'What would you get Tanya for a wedding present?'
You reply to A sapphire haired male aasimar 'A swift kick to the head. '
Coralie
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Coralie » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:28 am

:D Yay. Connecting with that worked! Thank you Isaldur! :D
The winds grow high;
Impending tempests charge the sky;
The lightning flies, the thunder roars;
And big waves lash the frightened shores.
- Matthew Prior
Peverell
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Peverell » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:38 pm

The old http://www.forgottenkingdoms.com/ website has gone down, so I'm assuming it's connected to that...?

As another side effect, the links to city maps on the main world map http://www.gallwey.com/fk/maps/fkmapcolour2.html no longer work, because they're all linking to the old site.
At Home With the Goldfarbs:
http://i39.tinypic.com/28hin4n.jpg
Belose
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Belose » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:05 pm

Well, Isaldur..I am using zMud 7.21 and it changed the IP address from the old one that you listed, ie: 193.1.99.89, and changed it to this: 208.69.32.132

I can get a ping through, but no game. Can anyone help me? I'M GOING INTO FK WITHDRAWAL......HELP ME!!!! :shock:

P.S. Oh.. and I can't find any way to change the new IP back to the old IP....
What the Mind of a man can conceive, the Will of a man can achieve.
Tavik
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tavik » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:06 pm

Belose, go into where you entered the host name (not the IP) (game.forgottenkingdoms.com) and replace that with the actual IP (193.1.99.89) the port should still be 4000. I'm having the same problem as you and changing from the host to the actual IP fixed it for me. Hope it helps you too!
Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die. ~Mel Brooks
Isaldur
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isaldur » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:15 pm

I'm still using a 4.something.something version of Zmud but if it is anything remotely the same you'll want to edit it in the File/Another Character option, and then follow Tavik's advice. You can't actually modify the "Address" part but that should change itself to match whatever you put in as the Host after connecting to the host.
A sapphire haired male aasimar replies to you 'What would you get Tanya for a wedding present?'
Mask
Staff
Staff

Post by Mask » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:29 pm

Hi there,

I fixed up the map that you pointed to so that it should now work properly. I also set up a new alias: forgottenkingdoms.skynet.ie which you can use instead of the IP address.
Belose
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Belose » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:24 pm

I tried using your forgottenkingdoms.skynet.ie, Mask.. didn't work.. though putting the old IP address in the host spot did work. At least I'm getting my fix, now...hehehe 8)
What the Mind of a man can conceive, the Will of a man can achieve.
Peverell
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Peverell » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:40 pm

Edited my FK profile to point at forgottenkingdoms.skynet.ie port 4000 and that's working fine for me :)
Thanks for fixing the map!
At Home With the Goldfarbs:
http://i39.tinypic.com/28hin4n.jpg
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:05 pm

Alas, this is the first time I seem to have hit a dead end with my MUDing ability.

I recently gained internet access from my laptop in my university. I had to install the antivirus software called, "AVG - the free edition", in order to pass the automated checks to gain internet access. I now have access to the internet, and all sites (YouTube, Google, bbc, wikipedia, etc) that are sometimes blocked if you have a stringent network control. Therefore, I have concluded that the problem I am about to announce is not to do with the network internet control, but with my own antivirus software?

Basically, I have entered the IP and PORT number into my MUSHclient, but it just times out. I have tried the telnet link at the homepage, but that goes to "this page is not recognised".

I am using the Vista system, a system I am not fully aware of how to control. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could connect to the MUD? (Dang it all, I've got an election to fight! :lol: )

Hope some bright spark out there can help. Pweeeeaaaase!

~Ol
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Japcil
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Japcil » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:24 am

There is two things that I can believe to be the common culprit. Either AVG or the firewall the university is using.

AVG: Turn it off by right clicking in the right hand corner and usually its exit or disable protection. If you can log in to the game now, then you know its a issue with the software.

The University: If the above fails, call your university's IT people and ask them. They should be forthright with the information of what is blocked. Now asking what is monitored is a whole other question you might want to think about when you surf on their net.
Isaldur
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isaldur » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:20 am

I use AVG Free with Vista Ultimate 64 and I've yet to encounter any problems with logging into the MUD. I'd say your best bet is to find out how to get the correct ports opened for yourself or a way around the University's firewall.
Lerytha
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lerytha » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:47 pm

Right, apparently Vista has a few problems with MUDs, anyway, according to a few trawls of Google. There was one article on the mudconnector which provides a solution (apparently). However, when I try this on my computer, it says, "you must be logged on as an administrator".

1. Does anyone know how I can log on as an administrator to my own computer, of which I thought I was an administrator anyway? Weird.

2. In case the first question is answered, but the mudconnector advice is incorrect, does anyone else have any idea how I can turn my firewall off? There doesn't seem to be an option to do so!

3. In case neither of the above work (and I can't approach the university, because if they were to say "no, you're not allowed" then any creative way I manage to work out to log on would then be knowingly incriminating, rather than unknowingly), does anyone else have any other possible solutions?

Missing my only MUD. :(
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.

--Sir Winston Churchill

"This place is boring, I'm gonna go eat whatever I can find laying on the ground"

-- Hoildric

Cacie asks Larethiel 'Did that air just bow to you?
Horace
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Horace » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:19 pm

When I'm house sitting for my folks (like right now) I use Vista with Zmud 7.21

Their is also a problem with Vista and Zmud, causing a termination error when starting the program. Dicking around on google I found that it has something to do with zmud trying to do something with the character files and Vista won't allow it. I have found that I am able to get around it by literally reinstalling zmud and clicking the "run application after install" option. Doing it this way, it appears, that zmud doesn't try to change some character files that Vista was halting and I'm able to use the program. Though correlation does not equal causation.

There is a Q&A about vista and zmud that addresses this problem, but I found this way around it before caring enough to read it.

Good luck, I hope it helps with whatever medium you're using.
Listen up! People pay good money to see this movie! When they go out to a theater they want cold sodas, hot popcorn, and no monsters in the projection booth! Do I have to come up there myself? Do you think the Gremsters can stand up to the Hulkster?
Sairaven
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Sairaven » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:44 am

I have found that cMud is superior for Vista, though it still has its bugs. zMud was great for everything else, but since upgrading, I've had far fewer problems with cMud.
Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"
~Despair.com
----
Sairaven - Dusk Echo of Helm
Quey - The Broken Blade
Vagan Silversword, Warwizard