Trades Help Files

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Trades Help Files

Post by Nysan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:14 pm

*Edited out by me cause I can*
Last edited by Nysan on Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Trades Help Files

Post by Nysan » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:36 pm

I will tack onto this thread, rather than starting a new one...

Can we update the trade helpfiles to point out the option to adjust the size of crafted goods by putting the size at the end of the "construct" command string?

Example: construct armor <location> <material> {armourtype} [size]

The ability to customize the size of trade goods in the "construct" phase is not mentioned in any of the current smith helpfiles; lapidary, leather armor making, armorsmith, weaponsmith, though it is an in-game command (one my default small dwarf uses often to make medium armor for customers). It should be as common knowledge as anything else listed in the trade helpfiles, right?

Off topic a bit... how does "tailor" work? According to the helpfile, my armoursmith should be able to resize armour (at least the stuff he made 2 minutes ago) as long as I have the proper material... but all I am getting it a "huh?" response. Not in the game yet, need to do some in-game quest... what am I missing there?

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:43 pm

Nysan wrote:Can we update the trade helpfiles to point out the option to adjust the size of crafted goods by putting the size at the end of the "construct" command string?

Example: construct armor <location> <material> {armourtype} [size]

The ability to customize the size of trade goods in the "construct" phase is not mentioned in any of the current smith helpfiles; lapidary, leather armor making, armorsmith, weaponsmith, though it is an in-game command (one my default small dwarf uses often to make medium armor for customers). It should be as common knowledge as anything else listed in the trade helpfiles, right?
Thanks for the suggestion! I added [size] as an optional parameter to armor, weapon, and barding. It was already in place for clothing. If anyone finds this is incorrect, please let me know.
Nysan wrote:Off topic a bit... how does "tailor" work? According to the helpfile, my armoursmith should be able to resize armour (at least the stuff he made 2 minutes ago) as long as I have the proper material... but all I am getting it a "huh?" response. Not in the game yet, need to do some in-game quest... what am I missing there?
RESIZE doesn't do it?
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:18 pm

Yes, it does do that Raona, but Nysan's saying he shouldn't need to pay the money for it when the ability is already available.
Per Help Tailor: wrote:
Syntax: tailor <target> <larger|smaller> [raw material]

The tailor command can used by player characters to resize equipment to
fit a particular user. The trade used is the one appropriate to the item
being tailored: weapon smithing for weapons, armor smithing for armor,
leathermaking for leather items, etc. The raw material used must match
the material of the object you wish to tailor.

Note that wearing armour that is correctly sized for your body size will
make the armour protect you better and last longer in battle. The armour
will not get damaged as quickly either.
I'm in the process of making a master weapons/armorsmith and I would think I would be able to resize armors/weapons with this command, as well, so long as I meet the above criteria.

Nysan, are you saying that currently doesn't work? I know it had to have in the past as I know a few people who had armors resized by a famous Dwarven smith..
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:12 pm

Resize works, but if my dwarf can save a few coins by doing it himself...

The problem is tailor, like Selveem was nice enough to quote. The helpfile suggests that my little smith should be able to resize items he just made, as long as he has the proper metal. The other night, I forgot to place size at the end of a few construct lines and needed to resize them. I got the required metal and looked at the helpfile so I knew I was typing the command string out properly. All I was getting was the "huh?" echo. Granted, my dwarf is not a GM armoursmith (yet), but I thought he should be able to work chainmail he just made. Is it because he is not GM in the trade, or is there something else I am missing? (If it is the GM part, that would be a good addition to the helpfile :wink: )

Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:58 pm

Sorry, my question was overly glib. I know next to nothing about construction, so I'm asking in an effort to get the helpfiles clarified. I meant, can your character, on their own, use RESIZE breastplate smaller to resize it, issuing the command without any hotshot NPC smith around? (Perhaps the only problem is that tailor isn't the right command word?)
Zynarc
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Zynarc » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:04 pm

Tailor did and should be able to work. It worked before and it is not working now.

As per Selveem's post, it should work as the help file states.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:11 pm

Raona wrote:Sorry, my question was overly glib. I know next to nothing about construction, so I'm asking in an effort to get the helpfiles clarified. I meant, can your character, on their own, use RESIZE breastplate smaller to resize it, issuing the command without any hotshot NPC smith around? (Perhaps the only problem is that tailor isn't the right command word?)
Got Gilain standing in one of MH's player owned forge rooms now:

items: tin scale mail leg guards (just made them), 4 pieces of same quality tin
command: resize guards larger
echo: You can't do that here

items: tin scale mail leg guards (same ones), 4 pieces of tin
command: tailor guards larger tin
echo: Huh?

Was looking at helpfiles at the time to ensure command strings were correct. That helpful?

Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:51 am

Nysan wrote:Got Gilain standing in one of MH's player owned forge rooms now:

items: tin scale mail leg guards (just made them), 4 pieces of same quality tin
command: resize guards larger
echo: You can't do that here

items: tin scale mail leg guards (same ones), 4 pieces of tin
command: tailor guards larger tin
echo: Huh?

Was looking at helpfiles at the time to ensure command strings were correct. That helpful?
Yup! Tailor shows up in trades, so it looks like something you do have to explicitly learn. However, trying it on the testport with a PC that has grandmastered it, I get "Huh?" as well. So it looks as though it is broken.

I also tested specifying a size for some armguards I constructed, and it doesn't seem to have worked: they still came out medium. Specifying the size didn't cause a syntax error, but the created item wasn't the specified size, either.

At this point I ran out of time, but unless someone else beats me to it, I'll test more later.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:23 am

Went back and tested tailor and resize using medium/small, rather than larger/smaller, with same "huh?" and "you can't do that here." echoes. Its a dastardly plan, created by the NPC merchants, to force people to spend money on resizing rather than do it themselves! hehe...

If there is anything more Gilain can do to help with this, just let me know... but I am running out of ideas for workarounds. :wink:

Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:34 pm

I was also curious.. It seems my Dwarf can indeed craft shields via:

construct armor shield <material> shield

However, in doing so the shield always comes out as 'small' sized. Are all shields small sized? When used by medium sized characters, do they get the full bonus?

Just curious.
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:16 pm

Crafted items are defaulted the size of the crafter, thus your small dwarf makes small shields. Not much experience with making shields, since I went to armour as soon as possible, but try entering a size at the end of that command string. Example: construct armor shield <material> shield medium. I would test it out myself, but Gilain is out of metals at the moment. :mrgreen:

Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:39 am

Pretty sure I tried that and it wouldn't do it..

I'll check again later tonight.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:00 am

Selveem wrote:Pretty sure I tried that and it wouldn't do it..

I'll check again later tonight.
Keep me posted. Too busy at the moment to mine up enough metals to try myself tonight.

Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:51 am

I tested it, by the way, it did work.

Thanks. :)
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:13 pm

Hmm. On the testport it worked for me with a shield, but not with a mace or a halberd:
construct weapon mace metal tiny
gave me a medium size mace,
construct weapon halberd metal tiny
gave me a large halberd

It was also rejected for barding:
construct barding head metal platemail small
returned "You cannot make that armour." while
construct barding head metal platemail
returned "You do not have enough metal to make that."
So there, I don't think it is an allowed parameter. (It seems to be with weaponsmithing, but doesn't work)

construct armor arm metal platemail small
did work, as did
construct armor shield metal shield tiny

So I've updated the helpfile to show [size] as an option for armoursmithing, but not weaponsmithing or barding. If anyone sees an error in my syntax, or can offer up a case where this did work, please do!

Also: Tailor doesn't show up in the COMMANDS list, so I don't think it is yet implemented. I've added a comment to that effect in the helpfile for it.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:38 pm

Thanks.

Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:42 pm

Tailor used to be in the game. Was it removed or is it broken?

I know of a few people who have had a famous Dwarven crafter resize some equipment for them that is magical.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:00 pm

Selveem wrote:Tailor used to be in the game. Was it removed or is it broken?

I know of a few people who have had a famous Dwarven crafter resize some equipment for them that is magical.
Wouldn't surprise me if a little used command, like tailor, was broken during all the changes we have had since those days and it took til now to realize it.

Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:27 pm

Thanks to Belose's comments in another thread, I recently took another look at the armoursmithing helpfile. Small hiccup in the Syntax.

---
Syntax: construct armor <location> <material> [armortype] [size]
construct barding <location> <material> [armortype] [size]construct armor shield <material> shield
mend <object> <raw material>
---

Construct shield should have a [size] addition. I don't have nearly enough metal to test it myself, but didn't we discover construct barding shouldn't have [size] options?