Aasimar - The Decendents of Celestial Beings

To share knowledge about the world and links to useful resources.
Sean
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Aasimar - The Decendents of Celestial Beings

Post by Sean » Mon May 02, 2005 10:46 am

According to my photocopy of the Aasimar entry in Races of Fearun that I managed to get from my friend, Aasimar are the decendents of Celestial or Divine beings.

Now, I personally, before I create my Aasimar, wish to choose a Celestial being to decend from. However, my accsess to reference material is a bit limited, unless I know EXACTLY where to look (I go over to previously mentioned friend's house, find the book, scan it, and e-mail it to myself). Where would one find information on the various Celestial beings? (Specifics, instead of generals. Such as Planetar, Astra Deva, Ayoral Celestial, Solar, Trumpet Archon, Ghaele celestial, Lillend, and Couatl... Just to name the ones mentioned in the Races of Fearun book entry on Aasimars)

Though Aasimar may not know their Ancestors themselves, I'd still like to know prior to making my character, because I feel, personally, that I can enhance my character my drawring physical traits and maybe even personality traits from a single Celestial being.

And, as a side note to my original question, "Where can I find information on Celestials", because I know someone, somewhere, is wondering... What is the policy on being decendent from a Divine? Is there none, because the blood is ssoo diluted it will make no diffrence, or is it something specail that should be applied for (and thus, probably not being accepted at this time)?

Annnddd thats all folks. I'm gonna get going now... Apoligizes if I've spelt something wrong, I've looked over it a few times but I just woke up so my brain is only half-engaged right now.

~Sean Vallar, Warrior of Justice
Isaldur
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isaldur » Mon May 02, 2005 2:34 pm

Monster Manual 3.5 has the most common celestials. Book of Exalted Deeds has the big ones who run the Celestial Heavens on Mt. Celestia as well as a few more lesser known normal run of the millers.
A sapphire haired male aasimar replies to you 'What would you get Tanya for a wedding present?'
You reply to A sapphire haired male aasimar 'A swift kick to the head. '
Talamar
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Talamar » Mon May 02, 2005 11:55 pm

It was mentioned in another thread, but I can reiterate here.

Claiming descent from a diety is a no-no unless applied for, and approved by the staff.

Celestial beings = alright.

Son/Daugher of a God/Goddess = Not alright unless the staff says it is, via application and approval

Happy Mudding!
Cret
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Cret » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:20 am

Ive been idle many times on my aasimar character and have been pointed out as being something different...

(sorry about using an adj, only for an example)

Blank blinks.
Blank looks at you.
Blank's eyes widen as he sees the creature, and briskly walks past
Aasimar look human, save for one distinguishing feature from their
ancestor. For example, golden eyes, silver hair, emerald eyes, and
so on.
There are exceptions of this.. Some people have wings.. or something else. But on the whole.. how do we imediatly jump to a conclusion that an assimar is something other then an oddly formed human?

Edited to remove player adjectives
Raona
Staff
Staff

Post by Raona » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:43 pm

ICly, they shouldn't react unless your description (or adjective) suggests there is something they would react to, but it's a very understandable mistake. It's far worse for the disguised tiefling or drow - people see the race in the adjective, and focus on that. I do it too - now by mistake and before because I just didn't know better.

But, for what it is worth - to the extent possible, LOOK at a PC as they enter and base your IC reaction to them on that.
Last edited by Raona on Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laitaine
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Laitaine » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:05 pm

Something similar - though on the flip side dealing with tieflings - was discussed in this thread. It makes for interesting reading, and might help address some of your concerns.
The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp.
~Terry Pratchett

I think of Cyric as the Helm of the bad-guys.
~ Velius
Grom
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Grom » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:08 pm

Aren't Archons a celestial being? I remember them going through phases I think from one of the source books I used to have. From a sphere to a hound archon up to a form where they look kinda like an angel with the exception of eyes that are pure energy? Im not sure if this fits into FR world though ><
You ask 'What is a tri-force?'
Spaki says 'But vessels for godly energies would be hard to come by. Let alone tri-forces.'
Spaki says to you 'Just a word I heard from a fellow with a green tunic.'
Rennick
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Re: Aasimar - The Decendents of Celestial Beings

Post by Rennick » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:43 am

Just curious, but does anybody have any really good resources about aasimars? I don't have access to any of the sourcebooks or anything.

Also, my main question is this: do aasimars definately only have one characteristic from their celestial ancestor, or might they possibly have two? Seems like I've been seeing a lot of places that say one, but then for tieflings it says "one or two". Just curious as to how that works for aasimars. Thanks.
Rennick, Ranger of Mielikki
Tireniel, Crusader of Shevarash
Jarus Altens, Senior Steeleye of Helm
Arvalan Symbaern, Priest of Corellon
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:06 am

The version 3.5 Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting says this:
"Carrying the blood of a celestial, an aasimar is usually good-aligned and fights against evil in the world. Some have a minor physical trait suggesting their heritage, such as silver hair, golden eyes, or an unnaturally intense stare. Those descended from a celestial minion of a Faerunian deity often carry a birthmark in the shape of the deity's holy symbol or some other mark significant to that faith."
That's not a whole lot but they are referring to a, singular, physical trait with the potential for a birthmark of some sort related to their heritage. Hope that's helpful.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Moloch
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Moloch » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:02 am

"My pain is constant and sharp, and I do not hope for a better world. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to survive."
Harroghty
Staff
Staff

Post by Harroghty » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:07 am

There is also a 2ed sourcebook, Warriors of Heaven, that might be of use. I'm not sure if anyone has this book and could address its worth on the subject. It is available from RPGNow if anyone no one has a copy and is interested in the download.
"A man may die yet still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought." - Chime of Eons
Liandria
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Liandria » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:51 am

I found Aasimar information in these source. I just skimmed them, so I can't verify the quality of all the information in them, I have a ton of this stuff, but havent read a great deal of it, as I've never played an Aasimar personally.

(Standard D&D) Monster Manual 3e has 1 page (p.209) covering the aasimar
(Standard D&D) Races of Destiny" 3rd Ed. has 2 pages (pg.92-93) devoted to the aasimar
(FR Campaign) Races of Faerun 3rd Ed. has 3 pages (pg.112-114) devoted to the aasimar
(FR Campaign) Forgotten Realms Campaign 3rd ed has 1 paragraph (pg.17-18) on the aasimar

(Planescape) TSR 11361 Warriors of Heaven 2ed
(planescape) TSR 2613 Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix II 2ed, (p 6-7)
Warriors of Heaven is a Planescape book and it does contain a lot about Celestials (including Aasimar's) but I'm not certain how intended it was to be merged with the Forgotten Realms, though the book does cover FR deities that live in the celesteal planes as far as I can see. Readers are directed to also read the Appendix II listed above as well for information on Aasimars.

I also have a D20 book "Aasimar & Tiefling A Guidebook to the Planetouched" though it is not published by WOTC, it requires 3rd ed. D&D core rule books, but is not supported by WOTC as cannon. I'm not sure how useful it would be, thought it might be worth mentioning though.
Liandria, Servant of Mystery
Isaldur
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isaldur » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:14 pm

Just remember that in 2nd Edition AD&D Aasimar and Tieflings were considered to have more than just a sliver of blood and were said to be the direct spawn of outsider + mortal coupling, and you forgot to mention all the Planescape manuals with them in it.
A sapphire haired male aasimar replies to you 'What would you get Tanya for a wedding present?'
Liandria
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Liandria » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:02 pm

I didn't forget. I am not very familiar with Planescape, I've never actually had an aasimar or a campaign run in planescape. I do have a lot of Planescape books though, including Warriors of Heaven, so I thought I would respond to the post that wasn't sure if it was valid. And I have a lot of FR materials which I am more read up on. WoH referred to the other book, thats why they were listed. I offered the books I knew and gave the approx amount of text I found referencing the race in those books.

You sound more knowledgeable in planescape than I, perhaps you would post a list of additional resources in that campaign that focus on Aasimars instead of complaining about my post. I was only trying to help.
Liandria, Servant of Mystery
Isaldur
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Isaldur » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:23 pm

Er, it wasn't my intention if it came across as complaining. It was just a warning for anyone that may not be familiar with how the race has changed over previous incarnations and to take the 2e stuff with a grain of salt. You obviously put a lot of work into finding all the references and I apologize if you feel my stating that you forgot something was complaining, and or insulting to what you posted. It was meant to be constructive towards the consolidation of information regarding the topic of Aasimar and I had simply thought those source books had slipped your mind.

If you're looking to find books regarding the Planescape Campaign Setting for a nostalgic look back into greatness the following link has a good listing.

http://www.pen-paper.net/rpgdb.php?op=s ... elineid=34

The Planescape Campaign Setting and Planescape Monstrous Compendium have most of the aasimar information.