Blackberry Mud Client

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Blackberry Mud Client

Post by Lathander » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:52 am

Who's going to point me to a Blackberry mud client?
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: Blackberry Mud Client

Post by Selveem » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:14 pm

Er, there is such a thing?

*ponders*
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Saranya
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Saranya » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:56 pm

A friend claims to have a diced version of tinyfugue working on a Blackberry, but when I asked him he said he didn't want to talk about it.

I gather it was painful. :shock:
Elenthis
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Elenthis » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:17 pm

Too bad your blackberry isnt loaded with linux. You could run Mudix.

(Please not that I am NOT a savy computer geeke, and I dont use linux, so if what I said is actually impossible. Please feel free to gag me with a want of enervate)
Far away and across the field, the tolling of the iron bell calls the faithful to their knees to hear the softly spoken magic spell.
Arnof
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Arnof » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:43 pm

Well, while I haven't used it in years, Mask's mud client, being written in Java (right?) could theoretically be tailored to the blackberry. I think what you'll find though is that even with the larger screens on the Storm and Bold, the FK is going to move way to fast and spool way too much text for anyone to keep up at any reasonable pace. I've looked at the best resources - blackberryforums.com and howardforums.com - and it looks like some people have asked about it, but no one, as far as I've seen, has responded with a solution. But, the moral of the story is that if you can find a Java mud client, theoretically it should be able to run on the Blackberry with only a little tweaking if any at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up and I'll let you know if I find one Lath. But, I'm pretty confident that the Blackberry user base probably doesn't have a ton of us MUD fans.
Opia

Post by Opia » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:12 pm

I haven't tried this myself so I'm not sure if it works, but it's worth a shot:

http://www.xk72.com/midpssh/

A few reviews online at least imply that it works in the basic way a MUD should. :D
Reiya
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Reiya » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:13 pm

Oh that's dangerous. :wink:
Zilvryn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Zilvryn » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:14 am

What OS do Blackberry's run? I have pocketPutty working on my Windows Mobile 6 device...
What matters the most is how well you walk through the fire.
Arnof
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Arnof » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:26 am

Blackberries run their own OS which isn't based on WinMo or Linux as far as I remember. Definitely not WinMo. But, like I said, you should be able to run anything java on them, so maybe if there's a decent SSH client that was written for the blackberry, Lath would be all set. I stopped using my blackberry in lieu of a Nokia N95 a little while ago and don't exactly remember what SSH client I was using then, though. Sorry :(
Zilvryn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Zilvryn » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:17 pm

The one mentioned by Opia seems to be the one most referenced on the internet, might be worth giving that one a go Lath..
What matters the most is how well you walk through the fire.
Athon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Athon » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:37 pm

The new Blackberry O.S. (4.5 I believe) just came out, definitely make sure that you upgrade to it. I work in the cellular phones field and MidpSSH is definitely regarded as one of the better SSH/Telnet clients for Blackberries.

Have you tried using the Java Client here on the site? Your Blackberry should be able to support java apps. That might work.

I hope you're using an 8800, Curve, or Bold for this... I just don't see how it would be possible to play on the Pearl's screen. And an app for MUDs would be excellent on the new Storm!
~Vanguardier Athon, High Priest of Torm~
~Moranall, Fighter of Waterdeep~