Recent Code Changes

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Raona
Staff
Staff

Re: Recent Code Changes

Post by Raona » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:26 pm

Today Mask found and fixed a problem with the way flags for time programs were set (the flag indicating a program had triggered was tied to a mob, which was a problem when multiple instances of the same mob exist - such as the officials at the Waterdeep gates). This should solve a few oddities introduced by the previous repair of time programs...and spell the end of the bureaucrat's convention at the gates of the Deep! :D

Bravo, Mask! 8)
Mask
Staff
Staff

Post by Mask » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:35 am

Characters now have 'handedness', which will tell you which hand is your character's primary hand. There are penalties for using weapons in your 'offhand', but your character should automatically try and use weapons in her primary hand first. Any problems, please report them in 'Bug Reporting'.

Note also that if you are dual wielding, the hit and damage bonuses from your offhand weapon should now be available in score. Again, any problems....'Bug Reporting'.

Cheers!
Mask
Staff
Staff

Post by Mask » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:08 am

Dwarves are now medium-sized, and all code related to weapon-sizes has been dramatically cleaned up and made consistent.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:09 am

Mask.. I love you.
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:17 am

Not happy that I had to resize several items... But, carry weight increase and the ability to wear medium sized magic equipment keeps me from complaining too much. Nice change. :wink:
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:19 am

They can be resized again when tailor comes back in. <3
This land shall come to the God who knows the answer to War. -Ninety-Nine Nights
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:05 am

By the by, it seems some quests are not agreeing with the dwarf changes. Gilain revieve small sized rewards from a quest he just turned in.

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:08 am

Hm, nodnod. We'll need to keep an eye out for that to send info to Builders.
Dovan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dovan » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:32 am

Mask wrote:Dwarves are now medium-sized, and all code related to weapon-sizes has been dramatically cleaned up and made consistent.
How will this effect Strong Arm feat? Will this now allow use of large weapons with one hand or is this feat now obsolete?
"One life; Win or lose it's all a bet,
One chance; Don't show fear and do not forget" -Simon's Symphony

-Dovan, Burning Blade of Luck
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:44 am

Selveem wrote:Hm, nodnod. We'll need to keep an eye out for that to send info to Builders.
Already done for this particular quest.

Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:46 am

Dovan wrote:
Mask wrote:Dwarves are now medium-sized, and all code related to weapon-sizes has been dramatically cleaned up and made consistent.
How will this effect Strong Arm feat? Will this now allow use of large weapons with one hand or is this feat now obsolete?
Since this is a MH only feat, I'd be happy with a point refund and the feat removed. The large weapon one-hander seems far too unbalanced, especially with the damage increases I am seeing with the off-hand and size changes.

Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:06 am

Dovan wrote:
I would assume it becomes obsolete unless strong arm feat is replacing monkey grip and will be made available elsewhere with the new feat roll-out. *crosses fingers*
Cret
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Cret » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:01 am

Did this change also affect gnomes? Cret and Mearki are no longer able to wield previously 1 handed weapons without 2 hands.
Arnof
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Arnof » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:22 pm

I have a double-edged blade in particular that I've been able to wield single-handedly with either a thrusting blade or a shield until now. I don't recall if it has always been a large weapon, but I do know that I'm forced to use both hands to wield it.

Is this something worth noting to the builders? I can give more details about the blade if needed.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:29 pm

I have two weapons that were resized that are still listed as medium, but no longer able to be dual wielded. Same thing, maybe?
Boe
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Boe » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:49 pm

I understand with new code changes that things are probably set the way they are meant; that adding my two cents won't help a whole lot, but I feel I cannot keep quiet just because I may be disregarded. I am having a difficult time now. I've built a character who is sized as small intentionally. I built him around this since day one, buying small sized items weapons and armour while passing up medium and large sized items for lack of use... Now, I have currently, without having checked the rest of my stash, three weapons that I had been using to train that are now sized medium. I cannot dual wield them anymore even though they have become a part of the character I've built. I would have, perhaps, a lot less of a disagreement with this if tailor was planned to be coming back into the game shortly, that I may resize such magical weapons back down to proper size for my character. I hope this is an unintentional affect and that there may be a time to have those affected, corrected.

I ran into a few oddities after posting this and instead of posting a whole new post I thought I'd just toss the examples here to maybe help find identify what is going on..
I've a katana that is sized small and it is offering me this when I try to wield it.
A blackened katana engraved with draconic runes is too big for you to wield it.
It is a katana in the single-edged blades category of weapons.
It can be picked up, held, held in both hands.
It cannot be worn with any other armour.
It is small in size.
Now I've two daggers that are both sized medium, that used to be sized small that I have no trouble dual wielding.
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:22 pm

I understand your frustration, Boe.

I want to go out on a limb and suggest this is an unintentional effect. All daggers should be sized small at the very most for medium sized creatures even.

That being said, one of my characters has noticed this, too. A medium sized character with a weapon that he used to be able to dual wield that now he can't even wield in a single hand. Luckily, I have replacements (they weren't magical :P), but it did catch me off guard.
Aldirack
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Aldirack » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:01 pm

Yes, i have also have the same problem with my character as afore mentioned. I can not dual wield two medium weapons. My strength is titanic and human. But still can not. How can I even think about dual wielding my longsword which I am gm at and a medium weapon again? I have two weapons both are medium in size, shortswords, and still can not wield the two of them together.

Tom
Lathander
Staff
Staff

Post by Lathander » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:48 pm

Please be patient. As always, you are welcome to continue posting your observations and personal issues with these changes; however, this is a fairly significant change and some things cannot be changed all in one shot. Secondary changes will be (in fact, currently are being) made to coincide with the primary change. A post will explain what has been done once it ALL has been done. It is much more expedient than responding to individual queries as they arise.

Though you are welcome to post as you wish, my advice is that you wait until all of the changes are implemented and the accompanying explanation(s) have been posted before continuing your speculations.
Lathander,
Commander of Creativity
Selveem
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Selveem » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:00 pm

Thanks Lath.

I speak for myself when I say I just wanted to make sure you guys were aware of these things. I think Ald and Boe were only doing the same. :)

Thanks for all the hard work.