Basic beginner building

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Tierney

Basic beginner building

Post by Tierney » Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:58 pm

I'm intrested in maybe asking about building for this mud, because I really love it and would love to help add to it. But the sum of my coding ability is once about 10 years ago my little brother showed me how to do some very simple coding in BASIC. Does anyone know of what I'd need to know to build here, and anywhere I could teach myself the required code?
Selune
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Selune » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:42 pm

Most of the information you require can be found on the FK builders page, including a link to lessons on building for FK code:

http://www.forgottenkingdoms.com/builders/builders.html

Remember to contact the admin building team before beginning a project.
"...and everything under the sun is in tune but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."--Pink Floyd, Eclipse, The Dark Side of the Moon
Eledhwen

New Areas and the Ascii map on the web site

Post by Eledhwen » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:27 am

I was just wondering if there was going to be the additional 8 new areas added into the overall FK map that is on this site?
Yboesh

RE: new areas

Post by Yboesh » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:43 am

Got to say that the new areas I have seen are the bomb, loved it tons. I cannot wait to see the rest of the new areas as I find them. Just want to send all the builders a big two thumbs-up on the work done :lol:
Granel

Post by Granel » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:42 pm

I always wondered how a map like that was made, there are over 2000 letters on it, How long did it take and who made it?

Thanks
Timaeus
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Timaeus » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:45 pm

If someone were to take the time and produce a wilderness map of the eastern lands and format it according to the source of the current wilderness map would it be possible for it to be hosted and linked to the MU* website and the proper map item edited for IC use? Or even a readable map formatted in another manner?

Timaeus Valierius,
Warrior of Kelemvor.
Janon
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Janon » Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:50 am

Before going to the trouble of making a map of those Eastern lands or one of the entire FK wilderness, please check with some IC sources because there MIGHT be a fledgling CARTOGRAPHER (hint hint) out there who has already begun the laborous process himself.

Seriously though, if anyone else is planning to do something to update the wilderness map, I'd like to know so I don't waste a ton of time.

Please delete if i've provided too much IC information here. I am dancing on the line I think.
Janon,
Corellon's Cartographer
Tsai
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

WYSIWYG Area Editor for FK

Post by Tsai » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:01 am

I think something that could help the game is a WYSIWYG(What you see is what you get) area editor to build areas for the game. I've built for the game(long time ago) and although the builder's port on the game server works fine, it still requires a good deal of typing and sometimes it gets kind of confusing until you get used to it.

What if the game could have an app with rooms represented by boxes on a grid with co-ordinates, and the exits of a room represented by lines to another room on the grid? However this gets weird when the room leads to another room in a remote location(some rooms can have teleport like exits). I don't know how the representation for the exit is going to be with a line. Maybe rooms can be represented with red boxes. If the room you're connecting with is for example 5 squares away, the box turns blue or something.

Concerning mobs, you can click on a red box and you can mess with the contents of the rooms including mobs and room attributes and objects.

It's just inserting the hard codes into specific areas of a .are file based on the user's actions. After all this, maybe the game's code could be included in the application to allow the user to 'feel' their way through their area like they could on the game.

I think this idea could take some pointers from area editors from Neverwinter Nights.

Anyway, thing is, with this, builders get an easy representation and view of what they're building and if it's user friendly enough, it could help the game grow in leaps and bounds if areas are churned out real quick and real good. All I know is the generation of people who grew up with Dos and windows are different. Typing commands are tedious, clicking around and messing with things is easier.

During my holidays i'll be working on a project for my uncle's bakery, but if I have time and the game owners agree to this, I could try working on this. Just wondering what people think about this and what ideas would you have for this area editor.
Jharthyne
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Jharthyne » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:08 am

I believe that is what FKZoner is for, once it gets out of the beta testing. Right now, most of the stuff is working already, though I have yet to figure out how to get the room connections to work and load up to see the area map. But it has most of the features there.