[SKILL] Disguise

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Alvirin
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

[SKILL] Disguise

Post by Alvirin » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:19 am

In D&D this skill allows you to pretend be a member of other race and also a member of the opposite sex (perhaps neuter as well?), although such is more difficult and its even more difficult when you pretend to be a member of other race of other opposite (-2 to the skill check for pretend be a member of other and -2 because pretending be of the opposite sex).

While this could generate interesting RP, and I really would like to see this in effect; I see a small problem derivated of this.

What would happen if a mob managed to see through the disguise and it's not coded to react to members of those race, for example a tiefling pretending be human and visits a temple of Lathander (I'm not judging if he should enter one in first place), and the tiefling would fail the skill check, obviously the guards/clerics would notice his race - but what would happen if they weren't coded to react?

That's the kind of problems that I could see derived of this skill, but also this skill could open the door to many interesting RPs
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Re: [SKILL] Disguise

Post by Glim » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:31 pm

A good idea. Disguise is a skill with great potential that hasn't been tapped, mainly because a way hasn't been figured out yet how it could be kept from being abused.

Yet another reason why we need a "spot" skill in the game. Mobs could be coded to make automatic spot checks.
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Graham
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Graham » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:31 am

Hi there. I noticed this thread hasn't received much attention, but I figured I'd bump a little and add a suggestion.
I was recently comparing shapechange/polymorph with the disguise skill and, while I understand they're not the same
(probably not code-wise, either, as this just sets your adjective), was wondering if something could be added to where
it adds a new description buffer when you put on a disguise. It's very difficult to add/remove entire descriptions for the
sake of RP and viability of the skill, but I think it would certainly make it more useful and enhance the RP around
thieves using it.

Just my take on it.
Thanks,
Homer.
Turyld
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Turyld » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:07 am

Sure it would be nice but meanwhile you could create several aliases to change descriptions, although that would take some planning in advance.

But it's not that you would be able to look like someone else entirely in a single second either :D
Consumption is the sole end and purpose of all production; and the interest of the producer ought to be attended to, only so far as it may be necessary for promoting that of the consumer.

Adam Smith:
The Principle of the Mercantile System, 1776
Sithiel
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Sithiel » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:15 pm

Turyld wrote:But it's not that you would be able to look like someone else entirely in a single second either :D
I think that a quite big lag should be added to using disguise. I know
it would be annoying, but as Turyld stated You can't disguise in matter of seconds.
So it would bring more realism into it.
Sithiel Greenleaf, Moonlight Ranger
Nadaun, Beshaba's Bard
Graham
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Graham » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:39 pm

I have tried the alias thing before, but as a general transient college student, I often don't have time to set them up on every client I use to play the game--and the in game alias system doesn't seem to support my description properly. I think adding the raw description + the lag would be a nice addition, both in realistic and practical usage of the skill. Maybe an echo, if someone catches you putting on a disguise. "Graham begins to do his makeup" etc. XD
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:41 pm

The alias system in place in the game does not work well with description files, it can't recognise the commands bound to an alias when the descriptor is open for editing. This is a small thing, since it rarely affects players and can be gone around in Zmud. The alias system in place in zmud will work well. Some of the most elaborate alias' I have done for my character are only possible through zmud. The only drawback is that unless you have a laptop computer you cannot take your alias' with you.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:05 pm

Found this in an old post called "Toggle Description" Old post

Zmud alias's are the best way to edit your description and then automatically edit it back. It takes a bit of doing though, I'll list my code here for my pc's change. What you should do before you attempt anything is save a copy of your description with colour codes. One of the worst problems I had was lining up words with sentences. meaning if I wanted to change lines I would need to line up the words or I would get sentences that made no sense when they reverted back. Justifying does not work well in this case, if you justify after each change it changes the line number and your original description parts will end up askew.

Here is my alias maker, for When Gwain wants to go unblind:

alias called eys:

Code: Select all

get blank clasp;
    wear blank ;
    emote places {f0}a blank on his forehead and his eyes turn a glowing white

Alias called nys:

rem blank;
    emote removes {f0}a blank {70}from his forehead and his eyes return to {80}dead ebony.;
    put blank bag

alias called unblind:

eys;
    description;
    g1ltest;
    {70}Here stands a tall half-elf. His eyes are {f0}glowing white {70}in colour. His face,;
    g11ltest;
    {70}Both eyes are {f0}pure white, {70}the orbs {f0}glow slightly {70}and sit like {f0}brilliant;
    g12ltest;
    marbles. {70}The eyelids are transparent and the eyes stare out intently as;
    g13ltest;
    healthy, living eyes that pulse slightly. His body is lean to the point of being gaunt,;
    sltest

Alias for going blind utilizing nys

nys;
    description;
    g1ltest;
    {70}Here stands a tall half-elf. His eyes are {80}dulled ebony {70}in colour. His face,;
    g11ltest;
    {70}Both eyes are {80}pure black, {70}the orbs catch little light and sit like;
    g12ltest;
    marbles. The eyelids are missing and the eyes stare out unblinking in the;
    g13ltest;
    place of healthy, living eyes. His body is lean to the point of being gaunt,;
    sltest

These aliases focus on changing parts of the description the parts identified as g12ltest for example specify in description mode to go to that line and write the following line of text. There is a seperate alias for goign to that line specificly. It will only work when in description mode which is activated by another alias in the eys titled alias. sltest saves because it is an alias of the /s in description.

This kind of alias cannot be done ingame with ingame alias because of length and the system will not recognise description commands as aliases.
When you do it in zmud make sure to save your profile afterward and that each part has a responding alias.

I have:
an alias for saving in description
an alias for going to line 11, one for line 12, one for line 13
an alias for a smote to put something on
an alias to smote taking something off

This way with everything seperate I can keep track of the parts. Though someone probably can think of a better and shorter method.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)