Question of Potions and Scrolls

To share knowledge about the world and links to useful resources.
Belose
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Question of Potions and Scrolls

Post by Belose » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:54 am

I understand that priests aren't supposed to use scribe, that it is to be strictly for wizardly types, and priests get to brew potions... the thing is, I remember from 2nd edition players hand book that there are scrolls for different classes, mage, priest, some that any one could use, and so forth. Not to mention the magical devices, such as rods and scrolls that are priestly in nature... what about those? So priests can't scribe, and wizards can't brew, but can priests still USE scrolls? I know in trades that priests can appraise them..scrolls, I mean... anyways, I was hoping for a clarification about the appraising, using or making priestly magical objects, like staffs or rods of healing and stuff like that, and the usage of scrolls...won't miss not using scribe anyway, never could find empty scrolls..heh
What the Mind of a man can conceive, the Will of a man can achieve.
Nysan
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nysan » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:30 am

Laying to rest the age old debate over the brewing/scribing being used by other classes (no point in pressing something that is already set in stone), I could understand seeing a few stock spells from the priest spell list being made into scrolls. Would not mind seeing Nysan use a heal scroll every once in a while, but thats besides the point. As long as no one is trying to push the 'well they have scrolls now, let them scribe as well' line of thought, I wouldn't mind seeing priest scrolls in the game.

N.R.
-Gilain- -Trilev- -Siros-

You do not need to change the world, merely leave it a little better than how you found it.
Aegir
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Aegir » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:41 am

Priests can use scrolls just fine; mine have on more than one occasion.
Lea
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Lea » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:26 pm

If I remember correctly from before it was stated that priests could use scrolls they just couldn't learn spells from them.

Lea
Aegir
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Aegir » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:47 pm

I know they CAN learn from scrolls, atleast on the MUD... or atleast they could. Its not something I've checked in a while.
Selune
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Selune » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:21 pm

Yes, per game mechanics they can learn from scrolls. Per game rules, however, this is not allowed.

Learning from a scroll requires scribing it into a spellbook and priests do not use spellbooks.
"...and everything under the sun is in tune but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."--Pink Floyd, Eclipse, The Dark Side of the Moon
Rhelian

Post by Rhelian » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:26 am

Priests can recite mage scrolls it seems - beyond rogues they're the only ones who can.
Telnor

Post by Telnor » Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:16 pm

I heard that it was punishable by a strike if a priest used a scroll to learn a spell (considered code abuse) Is this correct?
Telnor

Post by Telnor » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:41 am

*noddies* Thank you :)
Lea
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Lea » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:06 am

I know they aren't supposed to be able to learn from scrolls but can they read and use them?
Selune
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Selune » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:18 am

Yes. Priests are allowed to use scrolls normally. They just aren't allowed to learn from them.
"...and everything under the sun is in tune but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."--Pink Floyd, Eclipse, The Dark Side of the Moon