AREAS - MISSING COMPONENTS

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

AREAS - MISSING COMPONENTS

Post by Dalvyn » Mon May 04, 2009 1:16 pm

I am looking for a list of components that cannot be easily obtained and are currently heavily missing from the game.

Note that "easily obtained" might mean
- bought from mobs (though let me know if their stock is too low, i.e., if they are too often "out of stock"),
- collected from areas
- crafted through some means (alchemy or precision forge for example).

For the sake of this discussion, ignore player-owned shops please.

Also, I'm currently only interested in the surface (i.e., I know that drow have a harder access to components, but this is not part of the current topic).
Elke
Sword Master
Sword Master

Re: AREAS - MISSING COMPONENTS

Post by Elke » Mon May 04, 2009 1:47 pm

Brightstones. Definitely brightstones. Oh, and darts.
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Mon May 04, 2009 1:53 pm

Brightstones ... should be fixed next Saturday.

As for darts, you can make them at the forge, no?
Moloch
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Moloch » Mon May 04, 2009 2:06 pm

Jacinth Gems and Lodestones..Thus far, I've found neither.
"My pain is constant and sharp, and I do not hope for a better world. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to survive."
Aveline
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Aveline » Mon May 04, 2009 3:12 pm

jacinth gems and brightstones! Lodestones have a shop but not too many people know about it yet I guess. But I wouldn't be opposed to having them in another area...and darts can be made at the forge.
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Mon May 04, 2009 3:56 pm

Soot, the mobile that provides it for sale has been out for some time.
Maybe make it a byproduct of fire and charcoal grindings?
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Nedylene
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Nedylene » Mon May 04, 2009 4:16 pm

I have more issues with starstones then I do brightstones. A hollow cone of platinum.
Brodnur
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Brodnur » Mon May 04, 2009 4:52 pm

Could just be me not knowing where to obtain, but saffron seed has been really hard to find as well.
Moloch
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Moloch » Mon May 04, 2009 4:56 pm

starstone has a merchant, and hollow cones of platinum can be forged somewhere.
"My pain is constant and sharp, and I do not hope for a better world. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to survive."
Aveline
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Aveline » Mon May 04, 2009 5:01 pm

saffron seed has a merchant too, but it is another of those that is sort of off the beaten path and hard to find
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Mon May 04, 2009 5:35 pm

A lot of the problems with those components stem from the fact that the merchant mobiles are identical. In any given area there is 10 - 25 of these mobiles that wander or are situated over a large area. These components are usually held by only one mobile. I would suggest that maybe the components for sale be shared by several mobiles instead of one in one area, maybe three or four to cope with the ic demand. Or that the rarer components, like saffron seed or starstones, even earthstones and sulfur be available from stationary mobiles that can at least be identified uniquely from their fellow mobiles to cut down on the time to track them. Speaking from experience, mobiles walking around an area with 350+ rooms in all directions and looking all exactly the same, and resetting after a certain amount of ic hours is difficult and aggravating. Maybe balance easier availability with costlier prices, but no one likes to search through 25 identical mobiles moving from room to room. I would be more than happy to submit builder ideas for unique mobile merchants if such is possible.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Elke
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Elke » Mon May 04, 2009 6:39 pm

I've never had a problem with earthstones, starstones yes but not after I was told about a relatively stationary place they were supplied in. Forging I know about but there isn't a mobile themselves selling them was what I meant. Soot I agree, I had a terrible time finding it...
Elke
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Elke » Mon May 04, 2009 6:42 pm

Forging I know about but there isn't a mobile themselves selling them was what I meant.
My point there was that at low levels it's hard to find...
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Mon May 04, 2009 7:11 pm

Actually, forging was made as something that even low level characters can do more or less easily (and even make some coins by selling their products to higher level wizards who might not want to spend their time at the forge).

That being said, I don't know what the current status of the metal supply is?
Tavik
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Tavik » Mon May 04, 2009 7:20 pm

Metals are available if you know who to ask.
Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die. ~Mel Brooks
Elke
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Elke » Mon May 04, 2009 8:47 pm

Metals isn't the problem, I was more thinking of people to teach you at low levels when your character hasn't made many friends/allies yet...if you see what I mean!
Lathlain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lathlain » Mon May 04, 2009 9:18 pm

There's also a significant lack of available trading sources for evil and monstrous races, which isn't so amazing for things like metals and access to the forges etc. Similarly items on the wandering merchants of Waterdeep (such as soot and star/sun/moonstones) aren't necessarily easily available to everyone.

I'm afraid casters aren't my strong point so I can't cite many references, but the suggestion that components are always available if there's someone in game who can make them isn't technically accurate.

Lastly I know yuan-ti eyes are available from mobs in game, but it rather requires a group of high-level people to gather them. For those of low level or a lack of viable friends for whatever reason, it makes things like invisibility difficult to ever use - which is a little silly for such a low level spell.

My personal preference would be to see a few Yuan-ti mobs of a lower level and closer to the surface somewhere, just to bridge the gap :wink:
"This is General Lath'lain Dy'nesir, of the Ebon Spur. Walking Murder surrounded by a thin veneer of civility."
-Miriel
Solaghar
Staff
Staff

Post by Solaghar » Tue May 05, 2009 4:04 am

Lathlain speaks well of the supply of yuan-ti eyes, for those who can't manage to get down to kill those yuan-ti, it's kind of an annoyance.

When it comes to forging, for the evil or monstrous races of the surface that can be a real difficulty as most miners/smelters tend to be dwarves and I guess some humans from places like Waterdeep, those who learn those trades early on and with some relative ease. I know of no orcs, tieflings, halfdrow or the like who currently are anything near to active miners, and I know that the very act of mining for me at least is so tediously repetitive that it's a giant waste of RP time, to sit in a room and just spam a single command time after time after time, I'd rather hit myself in the head with a hammer repetitively in real life, kudos to those dwarves etc whose rp consists of mining and smelting and that sort of thing, but I'll never have the patience for trades the way that they work here.
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Tue May 05, 2009 4:34 am

It would be interesting to create an enclave for Yuant-ti in another area, I'd recommend an enviroment that suits the creatures themselves but is very difficult to assail alone or without a group. Maybe 5-10 rooms with traps and other devices to make it dangerous and worth the trouble of obtaining the component.

Ryldaen
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Ryldaen » Tue May 05, 2009 1:08 pm

In answer to Solagher there is at least on half-drow who is a competent miner and does manufacture components using the precision forge. It has turned out to be a useful way of making a few coin selling to other wizards and a few clerics on occasion.

For myself the hardest components to aquire are Jacinth gems and the various kinds of stones, i have high hopes that the Alchemist changes in the next week or so should help with this.

And there is an in game location where soot can be gathered in as large a quantity as you could ever need. It is not a restricted area as far as race or alignment though you may have to fight some Mobs to get it.

Ryldaen