The Mobile 'Phone Menace!

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Elke
Sword Master
Sword Master

Re: The Mobile 'Phone Menace!

Post by Elke » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:04 pm

From my point of view, I don't mind them when they're used for IC conversation, because that enhances roleplay - I mind when they flash and distract you from the people you're with, because that hinders it..
Yevel
Sword Novice
Sword Novice

Post by Yevel » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:01 pm

I agree Elke, its like you are standing infront of a friend talking to them, while whispering into the cellphone to another person. RUDE MUCH!?
Yevel, Warder of Ilmater
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:13 pm

I'll admit that I haven't read the whole thread, but an idea crossed my mind so I thought I would share it (I am actually not sure whether or not it solves any of the problems mentioned before).

The main reason why I added the "echoaround" when you use an amulet was that I got sick to see people basically neglecting what was happening around them and/or what people were SAYing to them because they were too busy chatting with people over tells. This "echoaround" was made with soft code and thus it was not really possible to actually echo what the character was tell-ing.

So, the idea: make it "heat up"! Something like:
  • The amulet can "heat up", which is measured by a state between 0% (completely cold, easily usable) and 100% (incredibly hot, could even deal damage to your neck!).
  • Each time you use 'tell', the amulet heats up +20%.
  • Every RL minute (or so), the amulet cools down -20%.
  • When you send a message with an amulet whose state is X%, your message is X%-garbled. That means that, if you send "Help! I'm being attacked by a troll in the moors east of Waterdeep",
    • with a 0% amulet, the receiver gets "Help! I'm being attacked by a troll in the moors east of Waterdeep";
    • with a 25% amulet, the receiver gets "Help! I'm being ~?~?~ by a troll in ~?~?~ moors east of ~?~?~";
    • with a 50% amulet, the receiver gets "Help! ~?~?~ being ~?~?~ by ~?~?~ troll ~?~?~ the ~?~?~ east ~?~?~ Waterdeep";
    • with a 100% amulet, the receiver gets "~?~?~ ~?~?~ ~?~?~ ~?~?~ ~?~?~ ~?~?~"
    Naturaly, the words/letters that get scrambled would be determined randomly, and the numbers (heating up rate, cooling down rate, % scrambled) would need to be fine-tuned. At 100%, the reciever would get the name of the sender, but wouldn't understand any part of the message.
Anyway, that's an option that would allow "now and then" communication without allowing full conversations over tells.
Horace
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Horace » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:52 pm

Your thoughts and ideas intrigue me, I'd like to sign up for your newsletter.

Great idea.
Listen up! People pay good money to see this movie! When they go out to a theater they want cold sodas, hot popcorn, and no monsters in the projection booth! Do I have to come up there myself? Do you think the Gremsters can stand up to the Hulkster?
Keltorn
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Keltorn » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:03 pm

For what it's worth, I really love that idea, Dalvyn. Like, a lot. :-D

It gives people reason to ration their TELL use, but it doesn't result in people running out of "minutes." A great compromise.
"Let all on whom Her light falls be welcome if they desire. Trust in Her radiance, and know that all love alive under Her light shall know her blessing. Promote acceptance and tolerance. See all other beings as equals."
Elke
Sword Master
Sword Master

Post by Elke » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:08 pm

The main reason why I added the "echoaround" when you use an amulet was that I got sick to see people basically neglecting what was happening around them and/or what people were SAYing to them because they were too busy chatting with people over tells. This "echoaround" was made with soft code and thus it was not really possible to actually echo what the character was tell-ing.
I agree Elke, its like you are standing infront of a friend talking to them, while whispering into the cellphone to another person. RUDE MUCH!?
And unfortunately sometimes the rude one -is- Elke...

The above two quotes describe exactly for me what the problem with amulets right now. The reason I suggested echoing what the character was telling was because if everyone else you are in a room with can -hear- it's not the same level of neglect. As in, if I can hear half the conversation someone is having on a mobile phone that's better than them speaking -inaudibly- but me still having to put up with an irritating buzzing every five minutes (for buzzing read flashing here).

If coding means this would be hard to do, then I'm all for another option! I definitely think the 'heating up' idea has promise.
Lathlain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Lathlain » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:43 pm

I really love the heating up idea. In essence it's little different to the charges or 'stamina' concept, but With a whole lot more elegance! Thumbs up.
"This is General Lath'lain Dy'nesir, of the Ebon Spur. Walking Murder surrounded by a thin veneer of civility."
-Miriel
Gwain
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Gwain » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:44 am

Not all amulets are worn on the neck, would it be possible to connect the damage to mental state instead of physical? Sort of like when you put the boil on your brain, the more you use it, the more insane you become.
Justice is not neccesarily honourable, it is a tolerable business, in essence you tolerate honour until it impedes justice, then you do what is right.

Spelling is not necessarily correct :)
Grouke
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Grouke » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:50 am

I like Gwain's idea, and the more you use it the more your own words become jumbled, and you get negative points to attack roll, perception all of that. It basically makes you disoriented.
Dis be fo' Mighty One!
Hrosskell
Staff
Staff

Post by Hrosskell » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:12 am

I, personally, think the problem is a lot deeper than the general playerbase perceives it. I've sat in a room with four to five people before, and not a single one of them said a word to the other. They all just chatted away via amulets. I think the occasional, "Hey, wanna meet up and get a drink? Talk about some adventures? Blahdey blah blah.." is cool, but there are habitual amuleteers out there. I think it's a reflection of our age, though. When we can get something done quick, we do.. Just like text messaging on the mobile phone.

My thoughts on change? Don't. Usually making the issue known is enough. I don't think anyone's sending the wrong message by saying that people should RP together instead of amuleting across the world. It's true. People should RP together, and that's a whole 'nother issue.
Jamais arriere.
Zuldere
Sword Journeyman
Sword Journeyman

Post by Zuldere » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:11 am

When I see people I am talking with using there amulet ALOT I normal ask if everything is alright and if I/them need/should go. This normal helps lessen there use of it.
Zhith Travel, Lost traveler
Zuldere warrior of tempus
Xerser,Tempest Little Fury