Being Hidden and discern

For the discussion of general topics about the game.
Pring

Being Hidden and discern

Post by Pring » Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:05 pm

My question is reguarding being hidden, or invis for that matter. Is there a command to see when I have returned to a visible form? I hate wasting some of my last stam because I can't tell if I'm hidden or not. Thanks!
Glim
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Glim » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:37 am

Hidden I dont think so. But invis you can just type affect to see if your still invisible.

Also, if you just want to make sure your visable just type vis.

But as for seeing if you have suddenly been revealed or not hidden anymore, I dont think they put something like that. I think the argument was, how can you tell if people can see you or not, something like that =).
Glim asks Gwain 'Can I be on the watch?!?'
Gwain raises an eyebrow.
Gwain seems to display a look of complete horror for a second...
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:01 am

Yes, Glim is right.

For the spell (invis), you can check what affects you (by typing affect).

For the skill (hide), you cannot know whether or not others can see you, that is, you can never know if you are well hidden or not.
Llanthyr
Sword Master
Sword Master

Discern

Post by Llanthyr » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:09 pm

A discussion on being hidden led me to thinking about the skill discern. How about a modification of this skill so that it does a "discern vs hidden" check and a dice roll to see the success rate? For example, a master in hiding should have little problem staying hidden from an inept in discerning, and a master of discerning should have little problem seeking out those inept in hiding.
Algon
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Algon » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:17 pm

Sounds very reasonable to me. :D
Echet
Sword Apprentice
Sword Apprentice

Post by Echet » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:31 am

How about sneak, then? When I'm trying to go around unnoticed, I can usually tell when I've made a wrong move and someone can hear me... and after a few months of having to sneak around, I've learned to tell the difference between something only I can hear, and something the guy 5 feet away with his back turned can hear.

I see no reason why our characters, who are specially trained in this art, wouldn't be able to notice the same things... right?

Echet
Dalvyn
Sword Grand Master
Sword Grand Master

Post by Dalvyn » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:26 am

I would say no. Because you have no idea how good at hearing out small noises the other person is.

That is the basic principle of opposed skills: hide vs discern, sneak vs listen.
Talon
Sword Bumbler
Sword Bumbler

Post by Talon » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:41 am

Maybe I have the wrong idea here, and please tell me if I'm wrong...

But with the sneak vs listen skills they just seem to cancel each other out. So that you get heard almost everytime anyways.

Plus, with the way it's been working for me lately, my characters can be completely naked and still be hindered by their armor. Maybe this is just a bug that I haven't heard of.
Talon the Lucky Locksmith